Arena Ratings

Not saying I’m good at this game, but I once was 2K in Retail. I am currently stuck at 1075 rating in 2v2. How am I this bad at this version of the game? People seem to be equal to what I remember as 1600 or 1700 players. It’s insane.

1 Like

Define stuck??

I think I hit 1800 in twos this season so far in about 60 to 70 games on my paladin.

Are you playing holy? And what is your comp?

Preg and 2H Ret. Playing with a RL friend who is Prot War…that being said, I would have thought once upon a time in Retail I could pretty much 2v1 at this kind of rating.

Depending on which expansion you were 2k, then 1200 could be about right. People got A LOT better, esports and digital athleticism changed everything. If you want to keep up you need to meet a couple criteria before you even start meta-gaming:

1. you need keybinds to target arena 1, 2, 3
  2. you need keybinds to set focus arena 1, 2, 3 (or atleast a methodology of quickly setting and changing your focus on the fly)
  3. make sure you aren’t screwing yourself over with the default spell queue window, this can be game breaking if you’re interested in pushing rating for ability consistency:

type: /dump GetCVar(“SpellQueueWindow”)
if it’s at 400, that’s the default. it’s reccomended to take your ms and add +100 and set that as your spell queue window.
type: /console SPellQueueWIndow 400
(where 400 is the value you want it to be)

Take these tips and some newfound confidence and i’m sure you’ll start climbing in no time! Good luck out there brother, i’m rooting for you. :muscle:

1 Like

That has alot to do with it, your comp is really bad.

Should just do hpally/arms.

Even then you still might find it really hard depending on skill level.

Even in the 1800s you fight glads.

The participation is so low that people who are rank 1 and stuff arent able to get those 3k ratings, they are at like 2300-2400.

1 Like

Interesting…it’s at 400. What will that do for me? My MS is around 80ish on Grobb.

try setting your spell queue window to 180.

also recommend playing holy or if you’re hellbent on ret go for it but you’ll need double if not triple the hours to get good enough at ret to climb to the rating you could get as a holy paladin (they are S+ tier gods atm)

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve never healed in any xpac so that might be even worse, hard to say. But perhaps.

If two morons want to run in and just zug, what class/spec do you think?

Idk if any of that will work but I’d guess double rogue or feral/rogue.

1 Like

Classic population is primarily made up of people who were at somewhat decent at the game already. In OG Wrath you had millions of other people who were never going to be able to compete still queueing for arena.

Among that subset of already somewhat competent players only a tiny fraction even queue for arena and those people that choose to do arena are going to be slightly better at it than the rest of the Classic players.

So the entire playerbase of Arena in Classic is already reduced to about 1% of the best PVPers compared to what existed in OG Wrath and then that 1% has to be spread across the rankings. Then the reduced population itself cripples the way the MMR inflation used to work which makes it exceedingly difficult to actually gain rating compared to before.

This is barely possible anymore due to said reasons above. You can’t just faceroll anymore with anything, but DeathKnight / Holy Paladin and Warrior / Holy Paladin are about as easy as it gets.

3 Likes

War/Pal is an insanely moronic comp, if Drinknblink can do it so can you.

I do ele/hpally.

Good joke.

Would have to be double DPS. Otherwise I would just start playing Holy.

Not sure what you mean. Of the 10% of players who returned to play Classic they are generally the ones who were better than the other 90% who did not.

3 Likes

Ratings dont matter tbh because im almost 100% resil is still bugged.

Im damn near convinced that resil is 100% ignoring DoTs now. Im seeing mages that cant crit me as hard as a DPlague or UA tick.

Smol indie company strikes again.

Any class thats not DoT based i can hang against and scrap with. Any DoT based spec will simply melt me through 1114 resil, Stoneclaw glyph and SR/Astral (i pvp as ele and enh both) in SECONDS. A single full roll of Aff DoTs is killing me with time to spare from 100%. No trinkets, no outside help. Corruption UA Agony Haunt. One applicaton each and im dead before Agony fades. And thats a dude in full Hateful. I imagine with full deadly itd be worse.

1114 resil. Stoneclaw glyph which is a shield north of 4k. 20k health.

And it treats me like im a target dummy.

I first noticed it in Wrath pre-patch when in full brutal, I got torn up by others so fast that it looked like I was in greens.

First, I thought it was just the pre-patch. Then I thought perhaps I was just a bad PvPer, but I knew something wasn’t right deep down.

You’re trolling.

The majority of classic players are bad at pve and pvp.

Ratings are super, super deflated. Challenger cutoff was 1383 2 weeks ago. Rival only a bit above 1600. So even 90th percentile can only barley buy the deadly chest. 2k is currently around 98th percentile.

Rating requirements are making it so most people don’t even bother. So pretty much everyone still queueing is at least a bit sweaty when it comes to arena. Times change, and the rating bell curve on retail is much much different than wotlk.

5 Likes

ret/dk or preg/dk is a pretty solid double dps 2s comp tbh

2 Likes