Star Blazers

WoW’s graphics are just fine.

Sword Art Online

WoW’s graphics need an upgrade.

No

WoW’s graphics need an upgrade.

1 Like

Yes.

I wouldn’t mind a bit of an update to older zones and gear though.

4 Likes

Yes.

I prefer WoW’s style to other MMOs because the illustrated style just ages better. Although I agree it would be nice if we could ever see a genuine graphical revamp to the EK and Kalimdor.

4 Likes

I’ve never cared for WoW’s art style. I’ve never been able to be ‘immersed’ in anything in this game because of the how cartoony it is. That being said, the art team has always been second to none, I just wish they could have a crack at a game with a modern graphics engine.

1 Like

Honestly this thread feels like bait for trolling but I don’t really care, I guess. (I am not even sure which side the OP is trying to push people to in this case, actually.)

Either way, I don’t care much about graphics. Aesthetically I’m content with WoW, however. There are designs I’d prefer–there is a severe lack of feminine gear/clothes in WoW aside from a handful of full-length dresses and long skirts–but the graphics themselves are not ‘bad’ to me one way or another.

The models from classic felt extremely outdated by the time they were updated, but… they were updated. The only issue I still have is that there are a lot of old models that feel horribly out of place compared to modern content, and some of this really ought to be updated or have new optional versions available for. For instance, we now have high-resolution versions of all of the basic mounts available (through PvP mounts), so utilizing that to have updated mounts instead of the ones we see that still have vanilla graphics would certainly be nice.

This is a case of graphics not being updated consistently though, it’s not an issue of WoW’s graphics as a whole being ‘bad’.

I tried to play DAoC the other day and was like “yikes did the fxs and animations always look this bad?”. On the other hand I am playing classic TBC and the graphics still look decent.

Anyone who chooses New Scooby Doo should hang their head in shame.

3 Likes

Yes to cartoons, but No to WoW’s style.

Eastern games spoiled me on graphics, and I don’t think the West will ever offer something as good.

Yes, the graphics of wow are actually one of the games strong points. Detailed without being either too cartoonish or hitting any uncanny valley levels of realism.

1 Like

PUPPY POWER!

2 Likes

Art style? I think it’s better than pretty much any other mmo.

the more technical side of graphics (polygons, pixels, etc), yeah wow is definitely lagging behind.

I think they’re amazing. Hope one day they update the whole world with the new assets.

noooooo scrappy doo is the worst! he’s like fonzie jumping the shark!

3 Likes

Yes and yes. I feel like WoW’s art style is really forgiving and has stood the test of time. The more realistic, the more issues I notice as I compare it to real life. The character movement in those games also always seems clunky and just off. There may be games out there that do it right, but from my limited gaming experience the gameplay just never feels as fluid as WoW.

1 Like

One of the mass appeals of WoW was that it isn’t that graphically intensive. Turn down all the settings and you can play WoW on a smart fridge.

Not only that, but its cartoony aesthetic makes it age better. Look at old PS1 games - Spyro the Dragon, Gex, even Bubsy 3D aged better than Syphon Filter or Tomb Raider.

1 Like

I had this whole pages long thing typed out, but then I remembered where I was so I deleted it and here is the tldr:

The game needs a new engine. I don’t think it will ever happen.

Art style goes a long way.

WoW’s is immortal.

Yes. It would be nice to have some of the older zones like STV polished to look something like Zandalar, or Stormwind as detailed as much as Boralis, but as nice as the those recreation of zones with the Unreal engine look they never look like WoW to me.

Plus I think the attempts for the graphics to look as real as possible date themselves a lot faster than WoW more illustrative look.

It’s fine for what it is, yes.

Do I like cartoons? Well, I guess that depends on the cartoon.

Yes in fact their graphics are one of the main reasons i love the game, its the appropriate level of cartoony, and wimiscal to be just the right about of graphic and cartoony to allow both serious and silly stories to feel 100% in place.

2 Likes