"Are we the baddies?" Self-awareness of the Horde?

Same. I burned out on anger at the story a long time ago. Now I’m just apathetic.

8 Likes

Roses are red
Violets are brown
I expect nothing
And I’m still let down

20 Likes

My old main was a Forsaken Warrior. But I couldn’t touch the Horde when I came back. I hate what this faction conflict did, because neither side will come out ahead in this.

1 Like

The only reason I bought this expansion in the first place was because going to Zandalar was a dream of mine since vanilla. I thought fulfilling a dream was supposed to bring me joy. There is no joy.

10 Likes

OP, remember that according to the story “the people are with Sylvannas”. There has been self-reflection and self-awareness, and at least as far as the narrative is concerned, the Horde largely supports the actions taken by their Warchief.

There are Horde fans who hate the direction Blizzard has taken the Horde, and there’s others who love it and want more. The former are often talked down to by the latter and you’ll see these horde fans (typically posting on Blood Elf or Forsaken profiles, but not always - there are sensible BE/Forsaken fans out there too) spouting moral equivalency nonsense and putting on a clinic in mental gymnastics all day every day around here.

I would imagine that many of the Horde fans who were attracted to the “noble, honorable savage” themes of the Horde have just become apathetic to the story and are eagerly awaiting the end of BFA. Someone who joined for that and has been forced to be complicit in the destruction of the core values of their preferred faction just isn’t going to need to do any more self reflection other than “Yeah I want nothing to do with this expansion”.

7 Likes

As a Pandaren, this is how the Horde is described during the faction choice quest…and, in the Pandaren start zone, the description of an aggressive Alliance actually seems accurate.

The proud nations of the Horde are loosely joined in an alliance of convenience against a hostile world that would see them destroyed.

Focused, ferocious, and sometimes monstrous, the Horde values strength and honor, but struggles to keep aggression in check.

Join the Horde and fight to build a world where their people can live free.

Then you get out into the actual game world, and the first thing the Warchief does is threaten you and throw you into a pit fight (at least, Garrosh did that back in the day, sigh…Alliance side we got to punch Varian), and out questing there’s very little sign of the “underdog Horde”. Or the honorable Horde. Or any Horde that “struggles to keep aggression in check.”

Having Pandaren on both factions, I feel like both descriptions sold the Pandaren a fake bill of goods, but the gulf between “faction description” and “faction reality” Horde side feels a lot larger.

4 Likes

Presumably they would be interred and released as negotiating steps while Darnassus was being held hostage.

So where are the Night Elf hostages? Dead?
Why didn’t Baine rescue them if he cares so much about justice?

1 Like

Honestly man, this thread is worded in a way where its like horde players, you’re pretty evil are you aware?

I know the OP mentions only NPCs but I dont really think thats the true intention of this thread, I more so think its aimed at its players.

Op could easily do their own research for this, instead of trying to get people all riled up. Honestly there are plenty of examples of the horde NPCs being self aware, in the main story line if you just gave it even one play though or even watched youtube videos on the quest-lines.

1 Like

The difference is when you play Alliance they bring up the importance of civilian lives, do no evil and all that stuff. Oh right and Teldrassil was a tragedy obviously.

Horde side? Not so much as I have heard and it seems merely asking to show it is incendiary commentary for some Horde players.
If you had asked me the same question for the Alliance I would have had no shortage of references.

I dont either, but it seems as if you havent played through or watched the horde side if you have to ask this question. So, id suggest doing that. Will be funner too rather than just reading bricks of text that wont do the full job in portraying it. Remember this forums arnt your encyclopedia.

1 Like

Obviously. Hence why I made the post in the first place.
I hate the Horde. Why would I actively play it?

To gain a greater perspective on the lore, you can still be all gun-ho alliance, just cuz you play the horde side dosent make you any less alliance if you dont wanna be. (or at least watch youtube vids of it, if your really that opposed to playing horde).

Im mostly a horde player but I did really enjoy playing through the alliance side, espcially kul’tiras, some of the funnest story questing zones I think id ever played.

I barely can put up with leveling a Horde character. Honestly no thanks, I prefer to get my Horde perspective thirdhand or not at all.
I just don’t find them very interesting or pov at all worth the time.

Okie then.

I have so many issues with the way the Pandaren were introduced, not the least of which was the way Garrosh “welcomed” them in. Korga Strongmane did a good job of modeling what the Horde stood for, but after meeting Garrosh, Ji should have been like “What were we thinking!? I wonder if it’s not too late to join Aysa.”

7 Likes

That was almost word for word my reaction when my first Horde panda reached Org. I mean, yes, Varian was overbearing and did the same “your people who joined the Horde are now your enemies” spiel, but then at least he was willing to face me one on one, and I got to punch him, and he was quite good natured about it.

Garrosh, meanwhile, was just a jerk who made me regret my life choices and wonder where this “honorable Horde” I’d heard about went.

6 Likes

Based on his personality since then … seems he’s suffered some pretty catastrophic brain damage while being tortured (and he wasn’t that bright to begin with).

Honestly, you want to fix the story and relevance of the Horde Pandaren … its going to take a character FAR more potent than the Ji … they need Chen. LiLi set aside, Chen is a Horde Founder (whether he likes it or not) … and the Houjin could really use his influence right now (as could the Horde). Hell, maybe that’s who Rexxar is going to go get? He did say he was going to go tattle on Sylvanas, and since he clearly wasn’t going to Thrall … who is he going to?

6 Likes

It would be nice to see Rexxar, Chen, and Rokhan reunited. But I agree, I can’t take Ji seriously. For a guy whose motto is “The time to act is always now,” the dude spends a lot of time just sitting around doing nothing.

3 Likes

I maintain that the writers forgetting we exist is the best thing that could happen to the Pandaren. I don’t trust them as far as I can throw a brutosaur.

13 Likes