"Are we the baddies?" Self-awareness of the Horde?

Some of you may know me as the Holy Crusading Goat against all things Horde.
Today I am coming in with an open mind. I promise.

I am opening this thread in search of one thing. Is the Horde selfaware of its own actions?
This includes their heroes, military NPCs and civilian NPCs.
Players need not apply. I don’t care about them.

Some Horde fans are adamant that Horde is indeed good in any sense of the word we apply.

They care about races outside of their own faction just as they care about their own. They want to live in peace, prosperity and fair respect with their neighbors rather than dominance over their neighbors.

So… assuming I understood this correctly then I would say Warchief Garrosh and Sylvanas’ actions are in direct violation of these tenets. Right?

If this is true has there been any reference of Horde characters from the A list characters all the way to the Ds… did they mention anything?

For example:
“I hear troubling news from Darkshore. Surely it can’t be true”
“What happened at Teldrassil will haunt us for generations”
“I still can’t stop hearing the screams”

Maybe from higher rank NPCs…
“Orders are orders but we did there was unconscionable I can never wash away this sin”
“We were supposed to be better than this”

Maybe some NPCs in assaults after Teldrassil.
“We can never undo what we did in Kalimdor but ensure no further innocents are harmed in this assault.”
“Champion, we have received the civilians have evacuated the area so we can commence our attack”

If I were to rewrite some of the cinematics with Baine and Saurfang I would have Baine not only mention Derek’s free will breaking but Teldrassil and the Slaughter as well.
I would have Saurfang and Thrall put much more emphasis on the monstrosity of Horde actions rather than false equivalencies.

And so on and so forth. That’s what I would like to see when Horde posters tell us about the conflicted Horde.
The moral dilemma the characters are having and their outrage/shame with what they are associated with.

Now… are there such quotes out there that I am not aware of? Is the Horde self aware of their actions that the story has them do?
Or are they blissfully ignorant… or my theory… simply don’t give a damn about anyone but themselves?

6 Likes

Bingo. The Horde outright approve of Sylvanas’ actions and she has the full support of the people. The rebellion is a minority this time around.

14 Likes

So instead of outright calling us evil. You want us to admit we are evil? And if we don’t, we are not self aware?

Uh huh, sure…open minded, heh.

79 Likes

If I heard/read the text in game from Saurfang and Thrall properly during the baine rescue, the general populace of the Horde support sylvanas. So yeah, they’re purely motivated by self interest. which is sad.

Hopefully Saurfang and Thrall have just been gone so long they’re out of touch and wrong about this.

16 Likes

The Alliance is self-aware that we are being morons for not exterminating the Horde after all they’ve done?

I think the answer is: The story is just bad.

The Horde will serve the purpose the writers want and so the Alliance.

48 Likes

Is it at all possible there is a huge propaganda or information blackout that the Horde cities simply have no frigging idea what is happening?

Any clue or even a small hint at that?

1 Like

Do you mean NPCs or PCs?

3 Likes

This is strictly NPCs.

There were Horde forces all over the place in Darkshore during the War of Thorns, of every Horde race. The one who said he was worried was, I believe, Lore’themar, who’s the least likely to do any sort of info blackout.

So I’d say they don’t actually care.

1 Like

This actually can’t entirely be the case because we see an Orc and his child discussing the War of Thorns.

First dialogue

Traveling Son says: I feel bad that the elves lost their tree.

Traveling Warrior says: Why?

Traveling Son says: You told me that we orcs once lost our home.

Traveling Warrior says: That was long ago.

Traveling Son says: Didn’t it make everyone sad?

Traveling Warrior says: We were… not ourselves. It is difficult to explain, boy.

Traveling Son says: Mother spoke of it sometimes. I… I think it made her cry.

Traveling Son says: I don’t think anyone should lose their home. Not if it makes them feel like that.

Traveling Warrior says: You have your mother’s heart.

Second dialogue

Traveling Son says: Father?

Traveling Warrior says: What is it, boy?

Traveling Son says: Is this a bad war? I mean… worse that the others?

Traveling Warrior says: Wars never change. Only the warriors do.

Traveling Son says: Do you think this war is going to change the Horde?

Traveling Warrior says: We will see, boy. We will see.

Third dialogue

Traveling Warrior says: Boy.

Traveling Son says: Yes, Father?

Traveling Warrior says: You are quiet. More so than usual.

Traveling Son says: I heard other children talking about the war. Did… the Horde do something bad?

Traveling Warrior says: War is a test of honor. Once lost, it is not easily reclaimed.

Traveling Warrior says: Remember that, boy.

Traveling Son says: I will, Father.

31 Likes

If you think this is a trap question then I think moral Horde is in big trouble.

Alliance quests and dialogue not only highlight their just war but also remind the player to be careful of Horde civilians and innocents.
They also comment about Teldrassil and other atrocities by the Horde.
So clearly the Alliance is perfectly aware of what the Horde is doing and what they themselves are doing in response.

Nothing is done in a vacuum.

3 Likes

you could be right, but Delgrog is a holy bull, and he’s been telling everyone within ear shot that he’s not okay with the direction of the horde currently, and has been supporting baine loudly. I know that doesn’t count lore wise, but he’s telling everyone that will listen that he’ll defend the horde til it’s last gasp, but he doesn’t like where its going.

He’s… probably on Sylvie’s poop list. He isn’t the smartest guy, but Delgrog means well.

6 Likes

No, I think it’s just another one of your “I hate the Horde” threads, disguised as a discussion. You are looking for justification in your hatred towards a fictional faction when some don’t agree, and validation for your opinions when they do.

Typical troll stuff.

46 Likes

I’d like to see an Orc guard walk away from a basic campfire while making a side comment that it is not just the squealing of pigs that he cannot stand to hear anymore.

4 Likes

So you have no references of the Horde being selfaware that you can share here?
Would you like me to share some Alliance ones?

2 Likes

You seem to define “self-aware” as “agreeing with me.”

Which is deliciously ironic.

57 Likes

i find refreshing pheandras posts, it tinges with just enough cynism…
you are horde, you could, you know, participate in the tread because you did the quests? and dont have to look them up on youtube videos like me?

1 Like

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
I explained it in detail and made some examples of how a similar self-awareness is present in Alliance quests and dialogue.

Does the Horde have similar dialogue or not? If so where is it?

2 Likes

Ding ding ding. Exactly.

2 Likes

No. I have been watching Pheandra spout off for months about how all Orcs are evil, and we need to kill off all the orcs. And we also need to destroy all the Horde, because we are all evil.

I’ve watched them condone killing off or enslaving an entire race, while also calling it evil when a member of the Horde does it.

I’m calling the premise of this entire thread a load of BS.

41 Likes