Are we gonna start ID carding? New Florida Law

Florida is going to require hard age verification because under 16s won’t be able to use social media, overriding even parental consent.

5 Likes

Why are you bringing this up on a message board for a video game.

14 Likes

Because it’s going to possibly require a back n forth with customer support with needing to upload images of our state IDs now because of this silliness.

Also it affects parents of children who play WoW, as it’s going to block their consent so they can’t play even with parental oversight.

1 Like

This isn’t China. Even in China they’re still playing somehow, so I’m sure everyone will be fine in Florida.

6 Likes

It feels like it was meant to ban tiktok, but in usual silliness, the bill language was over reaching.

2 Likes

In what way does this pertain to wow

6 Likes

I don’t believe that anything will change based on any state’s law until it makes it through the Supreme Court and a billion appeals.

6 Likes

It’s an interesting piece of legislature, but I’m not exactly how they propose to enforce it. If you’ve set up an account when living outside the state of Florida (say, New York), when you were 12, then move to Florida when you’re 13; but only live there half the time with a divorced parent… how’s that gonna work?

Seems like this is a hard thing to uphold. The horse has been out of the barn for years concerning social media and kiddos having access. It’d have to be nation wide, not just state by state.

3 Likes

Oh wait it’s just outagebait my bad

1 Like

Probably IP based so if you play with a florida IP the account will be locked until you upload a state ID to customer support.

It’s real. It passed the house and senate of florida. It’s on the governor’s desk this week.

2 Likes

-unplugs router for a few seconds-

gg no re

3 Likes

More like WoW sponsored by NordVPN.

2 Likes

It’s virtue signaling, but by the people who supposedly hate virtue signaling. By the time any part of it gets implemented the people who put the legislation up will be out of office. It’s feel-good do-nothing nonsense so that legislators can point to it and go “look, we did a thing” but is very likely to be completely unenforceable.

5 Likes

Problem is it’ll be in effect until it’s shot down in courts, if shot down at all.

It honestly looks like they wanted to ban tiktok but went overboard.

1 Like

I personally don’t think anyone under 16 should have a smart phone or if they do, it shouldn’t have a data plan. They can use wifi in public and I would be strict with wifi at home, I would just straight up disable the wifi at 9pm. Hard line connections only.

PC only house hold, just like the late 90s.

5 Likes

Should also mention it affects the naughty websites too, such that they’ll ID card people if it goes through.

1 Like

I’d be deeply shocked if there’s not already an emergency stay queued up with a strategically friendly Florida judge.

1 Like

Then again, it’s florida.

5 Likes

I don’t think WoW qualifies as social media. That said, I haven’t read the law but I think you’re going to be okay.

2 Likes

This doesn’t belong here on the GD. This should be in off-topic. This has nothing to do whatsoever with WoW, and state law does not supersede federal. So Florida can kick rocks.

2 Likes