Are the Void Lords still pure evil?

With the story going in the direction of none of the 6 forces being better or worse than the other, would it still make sense for ALL of the Void Lords to be basically pure evil? Shouldn’t most of them be morally grey? Death was also considered a “bad” force, but only 2 of the Eternal Ones ended up being evil. Heck, the Jailer can’t even be considered “pure” evil like Denathrius since apparently he thought his actions were in the cosmo’s best interest.

3 Likes

I expect it to be as you describe—some pure evil, some (possibly most) morally grey. There might even be one or two actually good ones.

9 Likes

The Void hasn’t really been evil since Legion. The Void is, ironically enough, a better representation of chaos and disorder than Fel is, because the desire of the Void is keep all possibilities open, and leave nothing settled or concrete or decided. They are beings of possibility, everything that is, isn’t, could be, and couldn’t be. The Void is described as a pretty odd place, where everything is real and everything is possible, where thought and mind takes form. Alleria’s interactions with the Void show it to be an extremely fluid force of change that doesn’t like to be nailed down.

It’s hard to really call them anything at all, they’re just chaotic and ever-shifting.

Every villain, real and fictional, thinks they’re doing the right thing. Nobody is evil by this definition, this is a moral revelation most people have by the time they’re 10 years old.

4 Likes

The premise is that none of the spheres is “evil”.

Though what they showed us in BfA, and in our recent glimpse of the Black Empire, doesn’t leave me thinking anyone would find living under them anything be horrible.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say. Despite them seeming to move in the direction the Void isn’t all bad we still have nothing but example after example of them being against our best interests. The Old Gods, the Void Lord in Outland, Xal’atath. I can’t think of a single benevolent Void entity, just people tapping into its power.

1 Like

Blizzard can say “it’s shades of gray no one is really evil” all they want but what they’ve shown us is Void beings never being anything but two-dimensional cartoon bad guys.

4 Likes

Yes they are. And it is foolish for the alliance to trust Alleria.

This is all very true. But their philosophy and style of rule is very benevolent and preferable… to other beings of Void. It just so happens that basically anything that any individual cosmic force does is totally anathema to mortal life.

The forces can very much be amoral, while still being horrendous to everything in the mortal plane.

In fairness, if there are “good” Void entities, it’s possible that we wouldn’t encounter them because by definition they’d abstain from meddling in the cosmic balance and just always remain in the Void doing whatever they’re meant to do there.

Theoretically any we actually meet in our reality could all be presumed to be malevolent because they’ve invaded our plane of existence while knowing the harm their presence causes to everything else.

They are “evil” in the sense if they win all life and existance itself would be destroyed.

We don’t even know Denathrius’s motives as he may have the same motivation to his goal as Zovaal but simply be more charismatic about it.

Yogg-Saron and Y’Shaarj were two-dimensional yet N’Zoth was all “Only I can save you from what is to come.” trying to convince the Raiders to ally with them only going to outright dominating our minds when we get close to killing him.

His world basically seems opposed to Light attempting to get rid of it.

The Hour of Twilight happened before we confronted Argus so N’Zoth wanted to spare the Universe both Argus and Zovaal’s Cosmos destroying attacks as well as the mysterious “What is to come” that Zovaal speaks of by making sure the events leading to them wouldn’t happen.

The moment Illidan opened the Portal to Argus was the moment the Universe’s fate sat on the edge of a knife therefore N’Zoth planned to destroy Azeroth before Illidan could do that.

The problem is they rarely stray outside of the norm for the cosmic forces. Xe’ra was about as close as we’ve ever come to seeing the idea of the Light’s extremist desire to enforce purity on the cosmos play out and, again, we’ve never seen a void entity with benevolent intentions despite the fact they should exist.

It can’t all be chaos and tentacles. Off the top of my head I’d see a more benevolent Void entity as a champion of a greater freedom. Somebody who sees infinite possibility and decides that means all mortals should be free to choose their path.

You missed the point in my post or didn’t read it. To the everyday denizens of the Void (as the Brokers are to Death, etc), chaos and tentacles is benevolence. It is anathema to us, as mortals, but entities from the Void plane probably love everything the Old Gods and Void Lords do.

Obviously we can’t let them win and need to kill them the moment they step into the mortal plane because they’ll doom us all, but you have to remember that what is good and evil is not the same for beings from different planes of existence. Deontology is garbage in the Warcraft universe, there is only consequentialism, and it’s different for all beings of different planes.

1 Like

Blights… guess that means I can’t use the saving a painter from getting hit by a car argument to show morality of the moment, since said painter goes off to start a World War… or resume one if you think about it.

Well I do hope that they are not evil but are evil to us.
Let me explain, I’m tired of one dimensional villains that want to destroy us for the sake of destroying us, so I don’t want the void to be this generic kind of villain that warcrat is full of. BUT I hope that the void lords are EVIL in the way that their very presence is a threat to the physical world, they in their nature are antagonist to our nature, so they don’t need to be villains but rather creatures so powerful that their very existence is a perilous to life itself and for that we need to stop their manifestation in our world.

Void Lord Conservation Society. The select Void Lords who value and enjoy mortal existence enough to keep it isolated from outside influence so it can grow and evolve into whatever it may.

That’s the best kind of Void benevolence we could ever hope for.

From all pwers they are props the worst and people shilling for Alleria and Umbric aren’t payin ga ttention.

the light is evil

Hope so. I just want Pure Evil Villains for once.

Well, we just had Fyrakk.

3 Likes