Are people going to take DPS Ferals now or?

Was fixing energy just a waste of time?

People are going to continue to take off tanks who are now slightly less gimped while not tanking.

13 Likes

what’s a dps feral?

I don’t remember seeing legit cat DPS until Wrath.

6 Likes

Still not taking ferals unless they’re a tank sorry bud

1 Like

A tank on a one tank fight

1 Like

Really don’t understand this insistence on being a dps spec. Being able to soak hatefuls, obscenely high EH, and super strong threat, is all part of what a feral is. They haven’t split the tree yet…

Only enough raid slots for a single feral and they are there to OT and occasionally dps when the boss doesnt need the extra tank

1 Like

No, but bear offtanks will have better time when don’t need to tank.

1 Like

Even with powershifting, feral is still a bad DPS because they don’t have any AoE, and sustained single target is pretty much the only thing they’re good at.

Unironically the most efficient way to play feral is tanking and going catform when you’re not needed to tank.

2 Likes

Bears make great MT or OT. Crushing blows with 26k armor are like normal hits. Reason why people always say OT is because the other tanks sucks at threat while not getting hit. Cats do fine for dps. None of this content is that hard, but I guess the forums are full of min/max top 1%ers.

13 Likes

This gnome knows what he is talking about.

2 Likes

Sounds good, if you are equally happy tanking or DPSing. But I’ve seen a bunch of posts lately about “not enough tanks”, and a bunch of replies saying “I stopped tanking because tanks are badly treated”. So some player who likes feral DPS but hates tanking is not in a good place.

I don’t disagree with your comments – when I’ve played Cat DPS in dungeon groups (in Classic) I always felt a bit weak. It seemed like I could help the group more as a Bear (or by healing).

Correct. The correct way to play feral is to adapt to the individual encounters. For instance, I play a hateful strike soaker on gruul and can turn around and do 800 dps on maiden. Neither of the other tanks can do both as well as us.

Best I can tell: sweaty groups will still remain sweaty. The rest of us won’t care what you play as long as you try.

9 Likes

Imagine being a warrior who just wants to zug zug

1 Like

Cat DPS is… well… not that great. The spec requires a lot more effort to play and better gear to maintain similar DPS to a rogue. Then, there’s powershifting, which is essentially mandatory for poor kitties to compare at all. You’re better off spamming as a laser chicken… better overall DPS/burst, safety from a distance, much better group/raid utility, and a braindead rotation in comparison to cat DPS (which may or may not be a bad thing depending on the player, but it’s certainly a lot more chill).

TLDR: Cats are good to do good single target dps and buff phys dps with our 5% crit aura, but we suffer greatly on aoe.
The energy fix wasn’t really about buffing ferals. It’s actually nerf to the very top Cat players. It was instead a massive quality of life improvement that fixed the incredibly janky 2.2 energy system and made Powershifting more accessible.
As for DPS efficiency: Cats seem to be the best Single Target Melee DPS when they’re played by an actual cat player and not a pure-bear main, but their AoE is the worst of melee (cause they have literally 0 aoe skills). It’s better to have Cats go bear on some AoE pulls to help keep mobs controlled rather than dps.
I’m a pretty bad cat player but can often top any melee charts on single-target fights, but aoe is lacking.

1 Like

…no? We’re not slouches to be sure but this is overselling it quite a bit.

2 Likes

Yep. You can now play in casual guilds as a feral dps just like before.

In what world did you ever dream you’d be desirable for hardcore/speed running guilds?

1 Like