Are one shot mechanics fun?

If it’s easy enough to avoid then I don’t mind it. I dislike when other mechanics can overlap or makes avoiding that one shot mechanic a lot harder.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of them, no.

Ghuun orbs, remnant pieces, good.

Stitchflesh hook, blasphemy, bad.

Also:

Tank one shot mechanics, good.
Dps/heals one shot mechanics bad.

Is this about the pistol in Halo?

Golden gun in 007. Those were the days my dudes.

In an MMO where so many classes must stay still to do things, no, one shot mechanics are not fun and honestly I think we could do with out them.

Instead of a ‘you didn’t move quick enough’ or ‘you couldn’t clearly see the edge of this ground swirly for where the aoe would ACTUALLY hit’ resulting in an instadeath, why not a long stun that other players can break you out of, ie, the Iceblocks the one vamp dude from WotLK does, the Spider Webs from Razorfen, Thorn Spikes from Waycrest Manor, etc. It still punishes, yes, but not irrecoverably like one shots do.

1 Like

its fun when i do the 1 shotting, not so much when im being 1 shot.

Yes they’re fun and awesome.

And yes, since mostly raid wipe aspects is because of dps checks and dps checks not able to be met if they are dead. If a person is dying often they need to be coached or assisted to not do so, or be benched.

LFR excluded. There little or no commincation and its a clustf of 40 people.

Personal one-shots, yes. One-shots because someone else messed up a mechanic? Nah.

Was stuck on Heroic Sludgefist for an entire raid lockout with my old guild because the same Demon Hunter and Monk kept dashing/rolling and breaking the chains almost every pull effectively taking out 4 DPS because of their mistakes.

Yes

No

Yes

The best versions of this are ones you have to plan for like Terron Gorefiend, where dying serves a purpose.

That said, being yeeted off a platform is always funny.

1 Like

Dunno about WoW for that but I have fun with it in Monster Hunter. Some monsters have a “Get the heck away from me or you’re likely gonna die” attack. Like Teostra and Valstrax. Altho some hunters can survive that no problem if they’re using something with a shield

Always fun watching folks die to this because they haven’t seen it before

Yes. I enjoy the misery other players experience when they get one-shot and try to explain their reasoning for why they didn’t move.

Yes, yes, and yes. :grin:

Realistically there is nothing wrong with one shot mechanics as long as they are visually represented well and with sufficient ability to react.
Cataclysm dungeons had really good mechanics in that regard, as did MoP standard NPCs strangely enough.

One shot mechanics give players a really strong indication that they made a mistake, that is important for learning. Most raid finder level mechanics fall down to “does some damage” which often is simply healed off without much notice or isn’t serious enough that it requires action to adjust.
Imo that is poor design.

If you see a spot on the floor light up or darken and the boss is channeling a move called Sphicterpunch or something equally deathy like Cone of Death or Murderzone, it’s not too much to ask of people to move, even on easier difficulties.

the problem is, you can’t always see that depending on the person or if the game puts it under the ground or something, or, that it’s not 100% clear where the actual edge is, as I’ve had those swirlies hit me when I’m outside them because the effect extended past the edge, or others not hit me when I’m just barely inside the edge

No, its not, but have you not seen LFR? Lol.