Are one shot mechanics fun?

Do you guys like one shot mechanics? That is, if you fail the mechanic you go from 100% health (or lower) to 0% health?

Do you like it when said one shot mechanics are also balance by making the boss impossible to kill if 1-2 people die from one shot mechanics, effectively making them raid wipe mechanics?

Should these one shot mechanics be part of the lower difficulty raid modes?

5 Likes

Personally yeah. Keeps me on my toes

8 Likes

Eh, I don’t mind them at the higher difficulties. They could and should be more forgiving at the lower difficulties, but higher stakes for higher rewards and all that.

5 Likes

One, maybe two, per raid tier is ok, imo.

1 Like

For a trinity based game where you have a healer to recover and tanks to take the damage.

Yes it should exist other wise every raid/dungeon would be a battle of endurance as you would stack heals and never die as nothing would one shot and is recoverable.

2 Likes

Absolutely not.

An example: Whenever you have to rely on 19 other people to not mess up one time, it’ll wipe the raid. Having that perfect execution isn’t impossible to obtain, but a simple mistake to a one-shot or a mechanic that absolutely cannot be flunked always haven’t sat right with me.

14 Likes

Thats when you vote them off the island

3 Likes

Yes, otherwise you could just brute force every encounter which isn’t fun.

1 Like

I feel like all mechanics are fun when they are treated like seasoning. Just enough to make the fight better.

Lately blizzard has been dumping a ton of salt and pepper on everything and every time they discover a new spice (mechanic) that works (halondrus) be prepared to have them dump it on everything moving forward

They don’t have enough creativity to replace overdone mechanics such as “don’t stand in the puddle” with meaningful gameplay

1 Like

Well, I’m not overly fond on any path that leads to 0. I generally try really hard to avoid situations that send me to 0. So, if there is design reason to make me wary of an area, a one-shot to 0 will accomplish that goal.

1 Like

WoW Gameplay in 2022:

20 Likes

no…its just cheap and lazy on both sides of the aisle. Them for doing it, me for falling for it.
When I see that crap I just bail regardless. this is a memory game. Anyone can beat it. just know when and where to jump, etc.
but I dont like the cheap and lazy. Its as bad as the lazy it took to make pretty much every stinking thing in SLs have that lazy molasses legs crap.

no creativity whatsoever, Im sorry to say.

1 Like

No, I don’t like them. It makes it harder to carry guild mates through content. Which means, that even though they may be great folks, they’ll eventually leave the game over time. As they self select out of group content because they “don’t want to be a burden”. :frowning:

The demographics of the game have shifted over time. So has the complexity and the type of content. Is this part of some grand Blizzard strategy? Or is it accidental, or just incompetent development? I have no idea.

9 Likes

All mmos have 1 shot mechanics. I am fine with them because like others said, it keeps you on your toes. 1 shot mechanics are usually easy to avoid too so if you aren’t paying attention and die to it, it is on you.

2 Likes

exactly. I feel for the poor healers, to be honest.

frankly whats more fun if Im gonna die anyway is the over use/abject abuse of the fear mechanic.
If everyones gonna die Id prefer at least getting the joy of watching the chain fear wipe us two by two instead of that lazy insta-kill crap. lol

I think having some is good, but when every swirly on the ground can (will at higher difficulties) just kill you, it can be super frustrating.

Maybe they have some of them make you briefly deal way less damage or heal for less when hit. That way it isn’t always the same outcome, but will be punishing overall.

2 Likes

Can’t say that I do.

4 Likes

Outside of getting yeeted into oblivion, how many are true one-shots in lower difficulties? Especially with a full set of WQ/campaigns gear?

1 Like

that
:point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

lol…there…i think i might have finally abused an emoji as much as bliz abuses lazy mechanics lmao.

jesus…its like you climbed into my skull and scooped my thoughts right out lol​:+1::+1:

2 Likes