Are Most Players Okay With This?

I mean, whatever. I’m totally underwhelmed by the look of the derpthyr anyway. But, it does seem incredibly lazy for a “box feature” new race. Pretty sure this is the first one to reuse an existing model, certainly this closely.

Not talking about allied races here. Talking about “box feature” races like blood elves or goblins or pandaren that were announced as a major feature of their expansion. Zandalari and Kul Tiran were the box feature races of BfA and their models are almost entirely new from what I understand. They certainly don’t look like reskins of other races. Allied races were a feature but the races themselves weren’t and came out here and there over the course of expansions. It wasn’t like vulpera was a box feature of BfA.

Derpthyr though are a box feature of Dragonflight an they’re just a reskinned Incubus and that’s just kinda pathetic, honestly.

Now, it could be possible that the incubus is a reskinned derpthyr. But if so they really should have waited on the incubus. Either way, they both look based on the female worgen.

2 Likes

Ominous? You are trying too hard bub.

People were saying they were remodeled female worgen, now they’re saying remodeled incubus, which is it?

Also if it came out that dracthyr were in development first and the incubus was actually a remodeled dracthyr, how many people would be butthurt about that?

I’m still hoping the reveal for races in 9.2.5 wasn’t fake.

I will play a Dracthyr when the expansion releases because it’s something new. I will give the expansion a fair shot because I owe it to myself. I don’t owe Blizzard anything. I will do what I always do, play through the expansion of my expansion main and they work on alts patch by patch.

Don’t sink the expansion until you try it. If you do…you’re just cheating yourself out of what could be great content.

1 Like

Are you guys even sure the Incubus was modeled before the Dracthyr?? They could’ve easily had the Dracthyr modeled first and thought they could make a cool Incubus with the same model. Not saying this is the way it went, but you guys seem so sure of the opposite.

This is absolutely outrageous, how can they? Wait what were we losing it over this time?

1 Like

It’s not tho. Mrgm did animation comparisons on stream and while there are similarities, there are also similarities with worgen males and females.

It’s clear they did a bunch of mix and match and tweaking from many existing rigs and animations , plus some brand new stuff.

The Dracthyr dance is great.

2 Likes

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the dracthyr model came first.

Remember, the incubus wasn’t even planned until the controversy last year. (Technically Blizzard said they’d do a male version of the succubus many years ago but I doubt they were working on it this entire time and just finally managed to get it done after being sued.) They plan expansion packs far in advance though. Either the dracthyr came first or the dracthyr and incubus were developed simultaneously but they obviously only released the incubus first because the dracthyr are an expansion feature, not something you add late in an expansion’s lifecycle.

3 Likes

Dude stop, every game company re uses rigs when applicable.

Stop trying to make this sound like a travesty and to demerit the model when everyone does it.

And just so you know, its not a hard copy and paste.

3 Likes

2 Likes

whats the problem? If the model works similar to something they want to make, why not use it and maybe tweak it a bit?

1 Like

You’re probably right, and I’m probably over reacting. And honestly, it wouldn’t be as much as a feels bad moment if it were true that the Dracthyr were in the works before the warlock pet remodels.

Not a single expansion after WotLK saw numbers rise after the start. Expecting that now is stupid.

Drakthyr were in the works for 5 years if ion is to be believed.

Many things go on behind the scenes.

2 Likes

They might look similar, but they didn’t just add scales to the incubus model.

1 Like

Heres the thing young puppy warlock hands you a fel cookie A lot of people feel scorned by the game and wont be coming back during the honey moon phase, many will be waiting and watching youtube and streamers to see if they actually listened to the community and made the game great again. Blizz wants most of those players that left to come back, those players dont want to unless their demands are met to satisfaction, so there wont be a high jump in the honey moon phase like before, it will have to be once its over. And if they did it right there will be a rise after the honey moon phase. If they didnt as you said there wont be one.

FF14 remodels the same monster for a new expansion: Sleep

SWTOR uses the same models for humanoid bosses making combat hard: Coma

EQ1 and 2 rehashes the exact same model for monsters and PCs: Torpor

WoW reuses a model: "OMG BLIZZARD IS THE WORST GAME OMG FIRE ION WHY IS HE THE BOSS THIS GAME IS DEAD I’M QUITTING WOW IT’S A DEAD GAME REEEEEEEEE!"

OP name one, ONE MMORPG that uses new models every time a new expansion is out. I will literally pay you 100k gold.

2 Likes

I think you underestimate how many people will at least buy an expansion for the initial month or so of gameplay before getting fed up with whatever the usual problems they have with endgame systems are.

2 Likes

I mean it makes sense to reuse existing models for stuff, but at least domt make it so obvious lol

2 Likes