Are hunters really that bad?

All classes are is able and viable to some extent or another. In any game, you will run into people min maxxing content and trying to get the most dps out of their class. People will throw around a lot of talk about numbers proving certain classes aren’t viable. The thing that makes games like this great is that you can tailor your class and spec to your own playstyle. And you will find people who will accept you, and play with you. I’d say the min max types are a vocal minority. They also tend to ignore the utility certain classes provide, focussing solely on raw numbers.

You don’t need to min max to enjoy the content wow has to offer. Play Hunter, rock it out.

You can ignore Gluth’s enrage mechanic. It’s much weaker than the other enrage mechanics on top of being on a boss that doesn’t hit as hard as the other bosses in Naxxramas. The issue with Gluth isn’t that, but managing the zombies through mage or warrior kiting and making sure Gluth doesn’t feed on them, as well as managing the stacking healing debuff on your tank.

Tranqing the enrage can slightly help with incoming damage, but realistically it shouldn’t be an issue for your tank. It could become useful when your tank has a decent amount of stacks and takes a lot less healing though.

A good, I mean a really good hunter stands out maybe more than any other class. On the flip side, a really dismal hunter stands out more than any other. So there’s that.

But if the mechanics and playstyle of a hunter appeals to you, go for it. You won’t regret it.

Bad for ninja looting. Everything is a hunter drop

ducks :smiley:

But why would you? It costs a hunter a global to greatly cut down on the damage the tank takes. Obviously this is something you’ll want to do.

Hunters are not bad but bad players did play hunters. Lol

2 Likes

WHat’s the problem with pull all adds in dg? My pet “xXKillerXx” can tank all

1 Like

Hunter’s are a great choice, especially, well, for all kinds of reasons. Hun tards on the other hand, are frighteningly all too common. They’re the ones players try to avoid at all costs.
Learn Pet Management - Not just how to keep them happy, but keeping them from pulling pats or adds. Let the tank, tank. Turn that taunt off. Learn abilities from other pets, to train your main pet.
Use your traps. Kite. Hunters, good hunters, are a real pain to deal with for most anyone.
Oh, and btw, Classic Troll Hunters, are good juju mon.

Hunters stopped being huntards with a patch about 3 months ago. Not certain of the time of the patch. Now when we enter a dungeon, the game will turn off the agro stealing feature of the pet. Tho if your still using barrage you will probably get uninvited.

I can tell you a good hunter with engineering might be one of the greatest 1v1 classes in vanilla. They have the utility and ability to beat nearly every class in a duel minus maybe an SL lock. Throw in tidal charm as well.

Lol.
Where’s your pet?
Hunter: He will be here in a minute and he’s bringing thOse mobs you lazy people tried skipping! Your welcome.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Glorious

When you get to AQ and Naxx raids won’t take any more hunters then they need for kiting and tranq shots. So if you are dead set on raiding Naxx you better be really really good or you better play some other class.

1 Like

“In Scholomance a party jump in the First room for skip adds”

Healer: “Hunter where are your pet?”

Random DPS: "You have dismissed It, ok?

Hunter feign death.

3 Likes

Differentiate your self from the “Huntard” meme and you will do fine. Let me start off with some info and tips to help.

Step 1: If it is out already get an addon like YaHT. Addons that show you the timer on your auto shots. This allows kiting and auto-shot weaving to be so much easier. If not out yet then try to learn the time between your shots based on your weapon.

Step 2: Learn the basics.
Ammo: Never let it run out and never use subpar ammunition. Also be sure to get the best quiver you can. Going engineering can assist with this. “Oh but you can only make bullets and not arrows”. I don’t know the Horde equivalent but in IF inn you find an npc who will trade you the arrow version of the top bullets for said bullets.

Feeding your pet:

• Make sure to keep a good storage of pet food. Food that your pet WILL eat. Here’s what to know about this.
  • Feeding your pet gives them a buff. It’s like when you eat to heal, if you enter combat and get hit then you lose that buff. So when you feed your pet you need to pause for a moment and let it eat.
  • Happiness level is shown next to their health bar. Red does only 75% dmg and losing happiness, in this state too long they will run away FOR GOOD. Yellow is gaining happiness slowly and doing 100% dmg. Green is what you want to see, it’s doing 125% dmg and gaining happiness greatly. (Fun note the box is meant to be a face)
  • Loyalty levels are gained and give you more training points and also reduce how often at which you need to feed your pet. Level 6, Best Friend, is the top level.
  • Make sure to get a firefox or whathaveyou window open with ALL of the pet abilities and their ranks and where to get them. Remember, for breed based abilities like stealth, claw etc, you need to tame other pets in the wild, use said abilities a few times with them and then you can teach them to your main pet.
  • Also be sure to look up the best damage pets. Yep not all pets are made equal. Pets like Brokentooth and Rak’Shiri are some of the prime damage pets but hard to tame as MANY hunters will be camping for them!
  • Almost forgot to mention a valuable point. Go to character page then pet page. There you can find out what foods your pet is willing to eat.

Okay that’s enough fur for now.

Step 3: Let’s talk skills.
Learn to kite. (This CANNOT be emphasized enough)
Practice this very well. If you are in a zone with a high level boss mob they make the greatest training tools ever. For example you can kite Stitches in circles around darkshire until he dies to guards if you preserve mana properly. It’s GREAT kite training! (This can actually be done as early as lvl 22, though you will miss a lot more so it is much riskier)

You have to time your shots, look into the jump shot. I use a thumball/trackball mouse so jump shots are SUPER easy for me as I can literally do a 360 jump heck even 450 jumps are doable for me. This is the main weapon of kiting though. It’s where you jump up, turn around, shoot the target behind you with an ability such as concussive shot or distracting shot, then turn back around before you land. This allows you to keep going without slowing down. Also keep aspect of cheetah up during this, it will be your life saver.

As for your damage. This is where YaHT comes in handy. When you release an auto shot you then use aimed shot or multi-shot. Simple as that. Keep your ability shots between auto shots at a moment in which you are not nocking (lol wtf Blizz? Who does your spell check? Nocking is a real word used for when you place your arrow to your bow) your arrow to your bow. If you interfere with your auto shot by using one of the other shots you will be reducing your dps. YaHT also allows you to move between auto shots as you will know when you are able to shoot again that way you pause in movement, shoot, then continue moving.

Step 4: Kiting while leveling.
Try using rank 1 distracting shot to preserve mana but maintain aggro. Undo your pet’s growl and let them attack the target as it chases you. Roads make great safe trails and be sure to clear out a pathway so you do not accidentally aggro a mob and get dazed using cheetah. Your pet will do the most of the damage while you act as the tank kiting the mob with distracting shot, concussive shot and your sting.

If you have a limited area and know what you are doing then using the freezing trap to do an aoe slow snow effect can assist you in circular kiting with mobs that will not take too long to kite. Great practice for pvp. Time your concussive shots for when you NEED them not using them sparingly. Try to keep the mob in the snow area slowed as much as possible! Achieve this bu running around the area and don’t be afraid to get a little close to get around them to turn them back towards/into the snow. Just be careful for if/when it dissipates.

This is also where YaHT comes in for kiting out in the world. When you have enough space you can pause, use an auto-shot then continue. Also be sure that your shots HIT. Make sure that you time them and keep the aggro up. If you don’t make a shot hit within an amount of time (like 10-12 seconds or so) they will drop aggro and run back.

Random thoughts to finish off.
Also start at low level even. Like right from level one. Shoot from max range, jump back then shoot again, and repeat. Do it right and mobs won’t even touch you till lvl 4-6 depending on how things go.

Lastly overall in general, look up pet breed stats. Some pets like cats for example have more damage, armor and less health. These three things are altered based on what pet you have. They also have unique abilities they can attain over time from cat stealth to wolf howl, owl screech to turtle def CD.

There is so much more to learn about Hunter as a class that I and many others could teach you both PVE and PVP wise. The skill ceiling is high and practice makes perfect! I personally LOVE teaching other hunters in game. It is a great class and to me personally the best class in Vanilla by far. (Am debating making as hunter guild even)

Raids will take you if you are not going by huntard standards, sure you won’t be the most populated class in the raid but you will still get a position if you play your cards right.

I hope you and all others who see this post find it very informing and helpful! Especially if you are debating on rolling hunter. It is an amazingly fun class and very unique in having it’s own form of play in the form of kiting to such a degree that it is truly endless if done properly.
(Multiple edits to make post look good and one thing I forgot lol)

4 Likes

Read what I said. Gluth’s damage output isn’t an issue in this fight. Tranqing Gluth doesn’t “greatly cut down on the damage the tank takes” because that damage isn’t an issue. The only time the tank will be in danger is after a Decimate, and that’s because everyone in the raid is at 5% hp right after one, at which point you’d want your healers to use instant heals to get the tank’s health back to full ASAP. Even at that point, the issue isn’t the boss’ damage output or its attack speed but rather the fact that a mechanic put the tank at 5% health and that the tank will die if they get hit.

I did. 50% increased attack speed when enraged. Seems like a great way to save your tank from dying after decimate would be to keep Gluth subdued. Would greatly increase the tank’s chance of survival wouldn’t you say?

Less damage is also going to save the healer a lot of mana over the duration of the fight. That means if the fight goes on longer than it should due to zombies getting through you have a greater chance of coming out on top still.

“You can ignore enrage” is not the same as “You should ignore enrage”. Can you give me a good reason why a hunter would want to not use tranq shot in that encounter? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Hunters are a fantastic choice for a first toon… fastest levelers, you can solo tons of group content, you can farm efficiently, you are a beast in world pvp / general pvp, you are one of the better dps classes until AQ when you stop scaling with the gear as well compared to other classes but still a strong class which is necessary for raiding through naxx.

1 Like

Hunters bring a lot of utility, level faster than anything else, are arguably the best farmers out there and, if you have the skills, are amazing at pvp. Yes, they will suffer in late AQ and Naxx. Honestly though, if you have the right PVP gear you can still hold your own.

1 Like

Not when you can just have your priest shield the tank and have the druids Swiftmend/NS Healing Touch and/or have your shamans also use NS.

Sure. Warriors get hit more and can generate more rage and thus, more threat. This allows the raid to go ham, especially the fire mages that won’t have to drop ignite as early and the warlocks. Melees get affected by the fear and are going to have more downtime than the casters.