Are hunters really that bad?

This toon is the farthest I’ve leveled a goblin. I enjoyed playing the class, but did not like my racial choice. I’ve thought about trying a troll hunter in Classic, but I keep reading about how it’s not wanted in end game. I only started playing in Wrath, so I’m wondering if hunter is a poor choice in Classic?

Hunter is a good choice.

4 Likes

earlier raids you need a couple for Tranq shot. and they do pretty good damage in MC and early tiers.

The problem is they scale poorly compared to pure dps specs and so by Naxx they are not pulling the DPS that they should.

You will still see some in raids at that point but ya you wont be stacking them.

3 Likes

Play the class you want to play. Raiding is just one aspect of classic.

25 Likes

Their are places in raiding for hunters… They’re not top dps but not ment to be. They do however get weaker dps wise as progression furthers

2 Likes

Hunters are really good. When it comes to “hunter scaling” that just means dps vs rogue/warlock/warrior/mage in late aq40+.

It’s really a matter of whether you care about that or not. If you don’t, they’re probably the best of all classes when it comes to casual stuff.

Hunters are crazy fun (probably the most RPG-centric class to boot), and those who play them tend to form a sort of fellowship with their fellow Hunters. They have a very high skill ceiling, and the people that master the class are REALLY valuable.

Get in with a good guild who would value your contributions. Problem solved.

9 Likes

Heres why rolling a hunter is a good idea.

Everyone will be rolling mages,warriors,rogues and to a lesser degree warlocks.
You HAVE to have 1-2 hunters in a raid.

So unless it’s a repeat of OG classic you’re almost guranteed a raid spot.

1 Like

Whoever keeps saying this is a moron who has no idea what they’re talking about.

A good Hunter is a godsend.

3 Likes

Yeah raids will always want a hunter or two that are good at kiting.

2 Likes

There was no class that was “that bad”. Every one had some strength in some area of the game.

1 Like

Hunters don’t scale well in late vanilla. Nothing improves their pet damage, and most of their dps is from white hits, they’re poorly itemized, and a lot of their BiS items are probably going to rogues/warriors first.

Hell, in AQ era they got class gear with spell damage…

But frenzy effects make them more or less required for raiding, and their ability to kite is invaluable.

They’re fun too. And they’ve got a high skill ceiling.

2 Likes

Hunters have one of the most interesting rotations with tons of possibility to optimize it further with melee weaving and pet micromanaging. Weaving Aimed Shots and Multi-Shots is a fun thing to do, especially if you don’t want to be that caster spamming Frostbolt/Shadow Bolt for 90% of the raid.

Hunters definitely hit their peak during BWL and fall off during AQ and Naxxramas. Hard. It doesn’t mean that guilds will straight up stop bringing hunters to raids, but they don’t compete with other classes unless those players are underperforming.

If you want to be able to top the charts, pick Warrior/Rogue/Mage, and potentially Warlocks. If you don’t mind being unable to top the charts after BWL, then go for it.

Hunters still bring many things to raids when they start falling off. Trueshot Aura gives 100 AP to every melee in your group. Tranq shot is needed for every raid but Naxxramas (and still helpful in Naxx, even if it’s not mandatory). You can pull from 41 yards for your tank while moving, while they are stuck standing still and limited to 30 yards.

3 Likes

If you enjoy playing the class, there’s your answer.

Two of the three people I played wow with frequently were hunters more than any other class. They liked the pets and ranged fighting. You also get traps and things like that. Fairly unique class, anything else won’t be quite like that.

Lots of people will tell you hunters aren’t any good, these people are just worried you’re interested in the gear they think is theirs.

Truth is hunter raid damage is actually really good.

Over the whole fight on average you will do more total damage than the high DPS classes because you’re able to continue DPS while the casters and melee cannot simply because they’re limited greatly in time on target.

DPS peaks are meaningless in Vanilla PvE, what matters is total raid damage done, and hunters are the kings of it IF you play it well.

2 Likes

Hunters are very strong and you should ignore it. They lose power in aq40/naxx but…that’s not really important is it?

Long as you get the ash crossbow from bwl you are good to go. Have fun with the droprate.

Just get this and you’re done.

They don’t really lose power, they gain it at the same rate as always. It’s just that ignite is stupid, warlocks end up scaling absurdly, and warriors and rogues get really nice scaling with DW.

The rapid fire cooldown is really good too.

At any rate it’s more a matter of who gets more power than others. Obviously everyone gets stronger when they get new gear.