Are Heirloom upgrades too expensive now?

With pre-patch and the level squish. We still have 4 upgrades for Heirlooms. The gold cost of these upgrades has also not changed. Do you think Heirloom upgrades are too expensive to upgrade now? Still worth the cost? Are Heirlooms themselves not worth using now?

For reference. The current level tiers and gold costs.

• Level 29 cap - Base cost. 500g, 650g, 700g, 750g depending on item.
  • Level 35 cap - 500 or 750 gold upgrade
  • Level 40 cap - 1000 or 1500 gold upgrade
  • Level 45 cap - 2000 or 3000 gold upgrade
  • level 50 cap - 5000 or 7,500 gold upgrade
  • Total Cost for a chest that scales to 50: 9,000 gold.
  • Total Cost for a 2h weapon that scales to 50: 13,500 gold.
16 Likes

Heirlooms are still worthwhile. They can be enchanted and then the enchants and heirlooms level with you. They can be transmogged and left alone the entire time you level.

People can still earn gold as easily as they want. Heirlooms can still be earned with currencies, as well. I don’t see a problem with it.

1 Like

My own thoughts are that heirlooms no longer scale well in cost. The basic items cover 29 levels worth and pre-10 lacks competing gear options. So they have a high value there.

However the final upgrades are fairly inefficient for their cost. Spending 5000 gold for 5 levels worth? Per slot? It really adds up.

If I converted it to time spent using the heirlooms. It doesn’t quite feel worthwhile to me. The one pre-patch advantage is that lv 50 is current cap until SL launch.

9 Likes

I’m kinda pissed. Not about the changes to them but the fact that the price is the same. Like at least cut the cost in half. I’m leveling alts and trying to save for another month when Shadowlands is released and it’s just a huge amount of gold to shell out. Yes I could just level without them sure, but I like using them because the new version of them is kind of nice.

4 Likes

an AoE when you turn in a quest is not worth it for the price

7 Likes

probably, but i bought mine long long ago

I think they were worth it, even after the changes. The cost never bothered me.

I should of upgraded them long ago but I didn’t. Sorry you rich dicks. Enjoy.

if you’re not banking on riding rested the only real advantage they seem to have, to me, is that you mog them once and then don’t have to mog them again until you replace them at cap. if i didn’t already have a lot of them i’d probably not spend the money on them. for me right now at this point i spent hundreds of thousands of gold to not have to mog a few pieces for a few hours. you’re not missing out on much right now by not having them.

2 Likes

its still decent value i guess ; just not as good as it used to be.

The new upgrades are probably not worth it given how quickly we blast through the levels now. Spending a ton of gold for just a few extra levels feels a little silly.

1 Like

they all seem to scale to 49 the same even if you don’t upgrade them. having some that weren’t upgraded and comparing to them to the ones i have that are, their ilevel is lower. i’m not sure boosting the ilevel is worth that kind of gold. but maybe the looms themselves are? idk.

what else are you gonna do with ~10k anyways

its just a gold sink for the collectors now i guess

yeah, they are not worth it.

1 Like

Honestly I didn’t even think the last upgrade or two were worth it even before the changes. Aside from the bunch I had already upgraded to level 3, I stopped upgrading them at 2, and I don’t have a single level 4 heirloom. This is because by the time you got to those caps gear dropped like hotcakes and the XP boost had already carried me past the worst dungeons and continents. Sure, I occasionally found myself wearing one piece for much longer than I should, but that’s pretty minor.

Now? Yeah, I might not have even upgraded to 2. Heirloom gear is still a nice convenience, but it’s no longer really that great, and the costs for just an additional 5 levels of heirloom usage is absurd.

1 Like

They’re not only expensive but not worth it anymore imho

5 Likes

Yes, I suppose you are right. I figured I’m too dependent on them anyway. It’s all part of the process anyway.

I think so. Come later one in the expansion, there should be an item that brings everything straight to level 60, skipping all the other prior upgrades

I’d say I agree. I’m happy I have the ones I do have and will use them when appropriate - nothing better from quest, I want to put on enchants, or don’t want to have to futz with my mog while leveling.

Just leave off the final upgrade. That one costs more than all the others put together and is probably only good for a couple of hours.
I’ve got just about every heirloom, but most of them are only 2/4 with a few 3/4.

add: Mostly the ring, trinkets & necklaces are 3/4 because man, is it hard to find good jewelry.