Are Feral Druids bad for pvp?

Can someone please explain whats wrong with them? I leveled to 54 and never seen one.

Look into Druid HotW spec, literally unkillable lol

3 Likes

Reliant on powershifting to deal decent damage. Need mana, but can’t get mana without gearing for Intellect, which is lacking on most decent Feral gear.

Interrupt is tied to Bear Form, but due to batching (and what I believe is a bug), you don’t generate the 10 rage from Furor instantly, meaning you cannot interrupt immediately. You have to shift into Dire Bear Form, basically wait a full global, then you can interrupt, by which point it’s too late. Your interrupt also has a minimum range, meaning you have to move away to use it, which makes it easy to predict and fake cast.

We don’t have much CC outside of Bash and Entangling roots, both of which require you to drop Cat Form and lose out considerably on damage throughput.

No healing reduction.

No magic dispel. No offensive dispel.

5 Likes

I always see kitty druids in BG’s from horde side. Just never on ally side much, they only go kitty for stealth and tracking. Then resume to bear to take dmg and drop heals. However, If they are with people I think it’s fine, but if you’re by yourself, that’s a completely different story.

1 Like

Damage output in cat form is comparable to rogue, but without the flexibility to shut people down with stuns and cc. However, you have the capability to steal movement outdoors with entangling roots which is a hard counter to warriors and soft cc to others when fighting a moving battle. Once you tag a rogue with FF it’s hard for them to reset with vanish. Feral charge along with shifting makes peels require hard CC. You are just as vulnerable as a rogue without evasion at all times in cat form.

Basically, dispel happy priests and aware warlocks with felhunter can ruin your day, but otherwise you can be really solid with some hybrid gear. You will definitely want to max out natural shapeshifter.

2 Likes

To maximize a druids success in pvp you can’t just be a feral. It involves using all your forms and knowing how to fight each class. fighting a melee? bleed stack x3, root, 2x hot ,moonfire, then bear easy clap. casters are harder lol

1 Like

I’ve played with a lot of them, it must be your server or something. There are a lot of ranking feral druids around.

They aren’t bad but they are hard to play properly, it for sure requires using a lot of your tool kit to do it properly. I played HOTW/NS for the longest time during phase 2 etc and it was fun. I switched over to have SwiftMend with just feral charge really for BGs as it really helps when flag carrying to be able to heal on the run multiple times and resto is more valuable to the team IMO.

The druid PVP gear is pretty much designed for feral druids and is good.

So again to answer your question, they are decent in PVP if played right, and if played wrong not very good. Druids in Classic are not OP or at the top though (WSG flag carrying excluded).

We are best used for flag running and guarding nodes, and not because we go kitty to kill people. So unless its in organized PvP… it can be kinda boring and lame if you lack the support to achieve those. Plus, those roles are best served with high Armor/Stamina/Intellect/Resist gear, which more or less means wearing a lot of Tier gear, not Feral gear.

1 Like

Just like any other class, they hard counter some, and get countered by others. Druids are incredibly dangerous in groups with other druids… like I am surprised there aren’t full druid pvp teams.

edit - and if the druid specs for pvp you can’t kill them so don’t bother.

Are you talking about full balance teams where they tag targets and basically erase a target every global? Moonfire is brokenly awesome. That requires a lot of cooperation, but it’s almost unstoppable.

Seriously, once idols come out a full balance team would literally annihilate any competition while being very hard to kill.

1 Like

Typically the group would be resto with ferals in classic.

TBC moonkin were ok, but feral was still better in arenas for the most part when paired with a resto. Basically anything paired with resto druid was the standard composition. Resto wasn’t FOTM, it was FOTEE (entire expansion)

Why? Balance gets you extra damage and crit on the group nuke.

10 globals and 10 guaranteed deaths at 36yd range. What’s not to love about that? Mages and shaman have cooldowns and short ranges on their instant casts and other classes have to cast their spells while the druids can skirt the outer edges of range while being capable of countering DoTs with HoTs and decurse.

The only class that has a chance is hunter, but cat form ensures getting into casting range before detection.

Also, this is for classic. I don’t know if moonfire damage scales well enough in TBC to keep ahead of the health curve in pvp.

Your big nuke is starfire, which is a 3 second cast.

60% of moonfires damage is in the dot.

The only good caster gear in classic is cloth, so moonkin form isn’t worth using the mana to shift in and out of.

You can’t cast heals in moonkin form.

Omen of clarity is clearcasting for ferals, not moonkin even though it is the balance 11 point talent.

There are a lot of reasons feral is better in group pvp but those are the main ones.

TBC things change somewhat. I ran as a moonkin in arenas and did average, but not stellar.

1 Like

I tend to see tons when Q solo. Feral ins’t the worst but you pretty much use mana/global’s to do so so dmg. So expect longer fights and some annoying drawbacks

-fear beast- even if it doesnt fear it still mana burns you

-mana- Its common to see mages poly druids as they cast healing touch which stops the heal and mana burns + global CD’s. No feral gear but pvp gear has any Int

-Flash bomb- engineer fear bomb can make FC harder and feels bad when you’re just fighting with a crap class/spec this bomb effects you

-Any heals on your target you are not killing them

You are not supposed to deal a lot of damage, are you? Aren’t druids in PvP supposed to be unkillable harassers?

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with feral druids. If someone knows what they’re doing, then they’re pretty formidable. That’s the one class that can literally do it all in PvP, if spec’d right. They can go stealth or tank; excellent mobility; self heals; ranged damage, if needed; resistant to a lot of CC…

If you’re 54 and haven’t seen one, I suspect you haven’t looked hard enough. I got ganked by a couple on my server pretty regularly. Queuing up for any BG should also provide ample opportunity for sightings.

Keep in mind that the OP is talking about Feral Druids. In any case, you PvP long enough in the Classic meta, you quickly come to realize how useless an unkillable harasser is.

For one, your harassment isn’t effective when it can be dispelled or immuned by either healers or consumables. Secondly, your DPS is way too low for a healer to struggle with if you’re also trying to stay alive.

Our mobility makes us decent flag carriers, but that’s about the extent of our usefulness in PvP.

1 Like

I think you might be misunderstanding my posts? I was mentioning an unstoppable 10 man team of balance druids that can ensure death with one global per moonfire. What makes it so powerful is the capability of high armor and long range instant ability death.

An unkillable harasser is valuable though? If they are focused on you they aren’t focused on others.

If you are struggling to survive then you aren’t working as a team or your team isn’t useful. Druid has a lot of compatibility with many classes for teamwork.

I am sure 10 roving balance druids would be quite powerful, as would 10 of any class.
The problem is, I know all of about a dozen druids on the server total that are high end raiding and pvping… So getting 10 together is tough, and even then 10 ferals are way more scary than boomkin.

On my server in vanilla, we had a guild named druids and rogues and that is what it was. Having a guild just for druids is about the only way to get more than a handful of them together.