Are Cross Realm Battlegrounds a Mechanic, or Content?

I’d love a blue response but in lieu of that, what does everyone think?

Content

If it’s content, then it will be released in CP6 giving us 18 months of server only battles, with only a couple of AVs at the same time. People will recognize each other and Honor restrictions from same kill diminishing returns will matter.

Mechanic

CRBGs will be introduced in CP3 with AV and WSG, making PvP effectively cross realm from the 6 months in.

Idk what you would call it but I for sure wouldn’t call it content. And mechanic doesn’t make much sense either as it isn’t adding anything new into the actual bg.

I would maybe call it a feature? Idk what blizzards definition is though.

1 Like

CRBG’s are a bandaid for piss poor server management.

Regarding specifically…

If you take the entire paragraph and look at what’s being said and know a smidge about the PVP system of the time it’s more than likely not talking about the CRBG’s but instead actual game mechanics such as the amount of Contribution points are awarded per player kill based on DR’s, landing the killing blow, % of damage calculated into that kill per the player, the value of that target player and how much CP are awarded for certain objectives like capturing the flag and stuff like that…

Those “mechanics” changed over time.

CRBG’s are not a “mechanic” of the game, nor are they content either.

Lets ask the question why are CRBG’s bad? Because they kill “experiences” because they kill “Fun”

I know that statement paints with a very broad brush stroke, but it’s very true because “access” does not = “fun”. Fun is a component of positive or challenging experiences even if they’re not as frequent as we would like.

CRBG’s undermine the community because they eliminate the average player from experiencing the rivalries of PVP in the BG’s. The average player will simply not PVP enough in the BG’s to ever see the same players often enough to have these kinds of rivalries with CRBG’s.

The rivalries of PVP are both a positive and challenging experience because they’re the things the players remember… These are the things we tell stories about and build strategies around, even GEAR for… Taking that kind of an experience away from the general player base is one of the reasons that Modern WoW is failing…

CRBG’s were a mistake from day1, let us not repeat that mistake.

Some one will unavoidably say but 30+ min Q’s really suck Williams you old man!

I would love a game where PVP Q’s are instant and I never need to wait, but that’s just not realistic, not even in the modern game that has both long Q’s and CRBG’s as they’re clearly not helping the problem at this point for a long laundry list of reasons that are pointless to discuss and also unavoidable for ANY version of WoW that utilizes this CRBG system.

3 Likes

Yet as a part of Vanilla in 1.12,something that’s coming.

Are you saying that they will totally fail at server management again?

1 Like

Depending on how many servers there are they better at least have battlegroups if they hve CRBGS. If there is a really small amount of server I don’t see how this is going to be an issue at all.

I’m super curious to how you think there is a way around this issue without crbgs.

CRBG’s are more convenient and faster rewarding than single server BG’s.

Is it any wonder that some retail players insist upon the more convenient, faster rewarding option?

Some retail players even insist that the convenience of sharding be extended beyond even what they define as “starting areas”.

4 Likes

Bite the bullet and actually merged / manage servers instead of tap dance around the problem.

3 Likes

BGs are content, CRBGs are a mechanic of that content. Just my take, anyway.

However, because it’s a hybrid, I think they will make a special rule:

Pre-level 60 brackets will be cross-realm, and level 60 brackets will be realm-only. This helps deal with the reality of having several active brackets without taking away from the primary realm feeling at level cap.

It’s just my guess, and it’s far from perfect…perhaps too convoluted for Blizzard to actually do.

Being realistic, I think they WANT to keep cross-realm out of BGs for as long as possible, but are yet to make a concrete decision. As I’d like to repeat, I think CRBGS is a unique part of the game that doesn’t fit squarely into anything they’ve talked about…but I could be wrong.

There are implications everywhere, however.

Lol what is with people thinking merges are a good thing. Christ people learn your history

Letting a server languish is worse than merging to keep balance because it harms the PVE and the community and the PVP.

Merging a server is not 100% a pleasant experience but it’s better than the alternative.

3 Likes

Or… OR They could do what they are planning right now and open as few of servers as possible with sharding at launch.

In the spirit of Classic - giving us a very complete snapshot of how things were, but not attempting to compensate for player power artifacts that result from static itemization or game mechanic knowledge - I think Blizzard will leave CRBGs out entirely and just not concern themselves with queue times.

The battlegrounds will be available for our fun, but they won’t worry about assuring they can be constantly played.

4 Likes

Indeed, and then when the dust settles if the factions are imbalanced they can offer free transfers from over populated factions of certain servers to under populated same faction of a different serer in a very controlled and measured way.

This will bring balance and help keep the community in top quality while minimizing the imbalance of the servers.

They did stuff like this in Vanilla, it was just not utilized enough, so it’s technically “Authentic”

1 Like

I’d say it’s a mechanic, but it affects availability of content as well as the experience of that content (at least in terms of who else you get to see there).

I think they haven’t specifically mentioned battlegroups/CRBG’s yet because they don’t know the answer. My guess is still that they’ll just end up saying something to the effect of “we’ll see how it goes.”

This is slightly besides the point, but I don’t think they’d ever do a server merger again. They’d do connected realms. Connected realms are functionally identical to a merger, but everyone gets to keep their character name.

1 Like

skip to 8:40

Free transfers I will agree with. There is nothing wrong with them. Server merges are an awful terrible idea that should NEVER be used. Let a server die before you do that. Let people leave as they choose and don’t force it on them.

An axel video? Yeah no thanks

I hope you are correct.

1 Like

yeah he’s a dbag but he makes a relevant point for merging servers

1 Like