Archon Add-on violates terms of service

Title says it all -
Archon Add-on violates terms of service.
archon.gg website for further information

Charging people to use an add-ons violates the first rule of add-ons.
Please either update TOS or rectify the situation.

Ok, so how is the addon is breaching the terms of service. Is the addon finding ways to exploit or hacking.

And if you feel the addon is breaching the terms of service, probably not ideal to adversities them here.

EDIT: Ok, sorry, I should’ve read the last line:

As stated here:

Now, Blizzard will not change the ToS because of this. If the addon is found to breach this, then it should be reported. The rules are clear to what is said.

And please do not ask where it needs to be reported, because that sort of information I can’t find.

7 Likes

they also clearly state that it is coming out for free after a short testing period. they are well aware of the rules

2 Likes

Well heres the thing blizzards not gona change tos all addons have to be free and if blizzard doesnt like it they will break it.

5 Likes

This isn’t so much charging people for addons, as it is making beta versions of a free addon available to subscribers.

1 Like

There isn’t an Archon add-on.

But there is the Warcraft Logs Companion App...and it is free.

There are website features for subscribers...

but the data is pulled using the free app. That is being distributed for free of charge. It’s not an add-on like most of us use, it’s an application. No different than running the Curseforge application to manage, browse and download add-ons. There are ads built into that application, but the application itself is free to use.

I fear you’re confusing applications with add-ons in the sense of how the rules may or may not apply to one or the other. Add-ons are governed rigidly. Applications - I can’t say that I 100% know all the ins and outs (and I openly invite anyone to correct me or offer their knowledge here), they’re not as rigidly ruled in that sense. The WCL Companion App collects data for players to use to verify folks and to analyze that data. The majority of the features that use that data are available at no cost. There may be some additional tools on the website that can be accessed for a subscriber fee, but again, the application itself is available for free (even if it is supported by ads).

If you think that they’re breaking the rules? hacks@blizzard.com

If you want to question the UI team as to what is and isn’t permissible in this regard? WoWUI@blizzard.com (I’m assuming this still works?)

6 Likes

There is one coming out in the future

but what OP is mad about is Archon letting their Patreon subscribers beta test a pre-release version of it.

4 Likes

Ah ha, thank you! I appreciate the clarification. I don’t do SoD, but I know passibly about the WCL side of things from my raiding days in previous expansions.

1 Like
  1. Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

So they are still breaking the rules you claim they are aware of. If they were aware of the rule then they should probably already be following it.

you are correct my guess is that after a long time working with blizz they are well aware of the rules. wouldn’t surprise me if they were in contact with the devs. they also have clearly stated that it will becoming out for free after testing is completed. they use their patreons to test all their new stuff.

This is not breaking the rules. The add-on is in a beta test mode, and as most places do these days, they are letting their subscribers test it first. When the add-on goes live, they are not charging for it.

It’s much like a Twitch streamer giving perks to their subscribers. While i understand why some people would consider it a gray area, it is not against the rules.

2 Likes

At this point all we can do is report it and let blizzard make the final call.

1 Like
  1. Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

Charging people on Patreon to “test it” is charging for it.

All add-ons must be distributed free of charge.

It’s the first line lol what do you mean.

2 Likes

I dunno if I’d quite go that far. It’s more like they are probably aware that Blizzard no longer seems to care. I mean just last month I was leveling one of my alts in BFA and seen a crew of Boomchickens running around in a small area farming mobs. They were still there a week later after multiple reports and trying to open a live ticket. They don’t even ban botters lol.

Seriously, if you think an addon is breaching the Terms of Service set by Blizzard, report it. A thread here in Customer Support is not going to help in solving the issue. Let Blizzard deal with it and see if they are really breaching the Terms.

5 Likes

Is Blizzard charging players for beta access for TWW? No, it’s a perk of purchasing the expansion.

It’s not being distributed. It’s being tested. There is a major difference there.

When it’s ready to be distributed, they will not be charging for it.

3 Likes

Plenty of people already did I’m just here to converse. An also I guess to laugh cause people think charging $25 for access to addon regardless of what stage of development its in doesn’t violate the ToS based off the first friggin sentence lol. Somehow that isn’t charging for it.

$25 isn’t free of charge. Learn how to read ToS.

If it’s available for download and advertised for Patreons to get more Patreons thats “Distribution”

1 Like

Learn how to see the world in color, not just black and white.

Beta testing is not distribution. You are conflating different situations.

But as people have said, report it if you wish. Blizzard will investigate. Coming here to further your agenda about Blizzard not caring is only going to get this thread locked, and possibly further actions.

4 Likes

If people have already reported it, then there is nothing more to add to the thread.

And you’ve already said that multiple times. You want to know what comes next?

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

• Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish
  • Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
  • Making non-constructive posts
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, they will:

• Be given a temporary or permanent ban from the forums, depending upon severity

Don’t need to spam the phrase over and over again. People here, including Melaesia, are just trying to give you the best possible information to their own knowledge. In fact, I think Melaesia has said it perfect here:

4 Likes