Arachnophobia mode?

I think this is one of the reasons the human race hasn’t significantly advanced as a species in a while, we’re too busy getting upset and arguing over irrelevant crap like this.

1 Like

How tf do you dismiss Brazilian Wandering Spiders, while acknowledging Anacondas in the same breath? Both are in South America. Both can kill you with contemptous ease.
Come on now.

To your point:
Though the likelihood is comically low, thanks to antivenom; but the Black Widow’s debuff still has killing power unchecked.
Common in the US.

Necrotizing fasciitis from the Brown Recluse. Common in the US. This is the big one. You shouldn’t sleep on this little… [explicit term]head

That debuff literally rots your damn skin. And they. Are. Everywhere.

The fear is not entirely without logic.

2 Likes

I think most of them live in my basement.

Haha.

Spider mounts won’t change…on the fly.

Ba dum tss.

1 Like

What surprises me is that I never read anything but praises about the game Grounded, which features some giant spiders (well, actually, you’re ant sized, but for these purposes it’s the same) and an arachnophobia switch that turns spiders into blobs. I mean, probably a very small fraction of players used that setting, but it was still nothing but praised.

WoW adds this and the community, toxic as ever, throws nothing but hate and disdain.

This expansion features spiders in a central way. They’re cartoonish spiders, granted, but it’s one of those things that are a good thing to have, even if not relevant to the vast majority of players.

3 Likes

It is because phobias are not rational. I have a pretty bad fear of heights so even falling from up high in games triggers a bit of fear. If WoW make an xpac that was nothing but in the sky were I could fall off, I would not be able to play it. TWW is pretty bug or spider heavy and it is nice they are doing this so more people can play.

If you don’t have a phobia it can be hard to relate to the fear it generates.

4 Likes

If it comes with Cheddar Bay Biscuits then we can talk

1 Like

This.
:hugs:

4 Likes

Sorry, the crab memes have gone out to have a party.

2 Likes

And then there’s the Spider Crab

People who needed this should put their daily life on youtube, because I guarantee it is a series of comedic situations.

I find it funny that toggles on a screen also seem to scare people.

2 Likes

Yeah, OP I agree with you.
The real issue with the filter is that it is difficult to balance between various forms of phobias and the potential edge cases.

Yep, this. It’s of course easy (and lazy) to write it off as a victory, but it’ll create an aura of demand for other phobias, there will be issues with singling out arachnophobia as the unique case deserving over others etc. It’ll also take away from WoW as a medium, since certain environments are meant to create certain atmosphere and immersion. WoW devs have a right to being an auteur of their games as well (and yes yes, its their decision etc).

Now for clarity’s sake, I have a phobia of dogs. I cannot be near dogs, I start having panic attacks as a result of trauma. A lot of people have a phobia of dogs, but will there be a dog filter? Probably not, though I’ve never heard of people with dog phobia avoiding images/videos/games either, but neither do I want to take away from their experiences if they do. Should their experiences be lessened? Is there a solution for this? Should there be a solution?

And there’s many more problems. Like the scorpion example you mentioned or how not all creatures get filtered.

I don’t know, but I do see the problem it causes by opening up one and validating over others.

That said, I have a personal pet theory it’s a marketing ploy. Creepy/void expansion, use a filter to hide it away, have just enough supporters to defend it, and just enough opposition to reply, ‘victimless’ setting (as it were) - it’s perfect, really. Reminds me of the no russian filter in CODMW2, even though there were far worse scenes with no censorship and no outrcry.

This is truly overthinking.
It’s not a ‘pandora’s box’ or slippery slope to add a feature in the game that might help players.
So much fear mongering and doom.

Meanwhile those of us who appreciate this will use it. TY Blizz. :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

It was one person. Just one. Not a team.

It is generally advisable to let one person work on something after your research and accessibility team learned there was an issue.

This forum is roughly 1% of the playerbase. You aren’t part of the research and accessibility team, so you don’t know what they found to allow one person to do this.

Did you consider they actually do research this? Apparently not.

2 Likes

I don’t remember anything in MW2 being worse than No Russian; which, to be clear, imo was itself a nothingburger anyway. Other games definitely… definitely

DEFINITELY got away with worse. (HTF God Of War 3 got away with what Kratos did in that game is beyond me.)

I’m curious, what scenes did you have in mind? I stopped playing COD after the original MW3.

1 Like

Yes it can. Exposure therapy doesn’t start by curing fear, it makes one more brave. I’ve completely cured my fear of spiders through this method. I can even pick them up by hand in my house and move them back outside.

1 Like

Because while this filter probably works flawlessly, there are a lot of things not working flawlessly that are probably more important to the game itself (like being able to withdraw gold from the guild bank, for example).

That filter could have been worked on during the off-season, if you will.

Ugh, people still going on about one filter that doesn’t even effect them. The forums will always be the forums I guess…

I see lobster mode as an option to turn spiders into something else when I’m bored of looking at same model over and over again. When I get bored of looking at lobsters and crabs, I can magically turn them back into spiders.

Pretty sure if it had been the city of birds instead of the city of spiders, there would have been no option to turn birds into something else, which strikes me as funny. There are legit people who are terrified of birds, it’s called ornithophobia.