Arachnophobia mode?

Those poor people with kabourophobia.

2 Likes

Ugh… Hate X / Twitter, but found it…

https://twitter.com/prettyokaydev/status/1780654420038160621

Welp. nvm about the tweet lol. Look like they may have deleted it a while back, but I do recall it mentioning they did this from home since it was a personal project.

I did have to go through my old posts cause I thought the thread was originally this one here just being necroed from April lol. The tweet was posted in here.

And thinking about it. No body is given free reign over someone else’s coding willy nilly. So you are more than likely correct they are/were salaried spot and probably higher than a Lead to be given this. So still got paid even if they did it at home on their own time outside of business hours.

And yes. Despite even if it is or was in good intentions, it is a can of worms and flies that got opened. While it doesn’t effect me, and know a few who are more then happy about it, I know more who already have jokes about wanting xyz-phobia and other super rare conditional disorders to be catered too.

3 Likes

Did you ever stop to think it might have been made by a designer who had arachnophobia so they could work on the upcoming spider zone, dungeons, and raid and they decided to just release it whole cloth for everyone?

Slippery slope fallacy aka not how that works. People are more than welcome to make requests, but Blizzard can’t be forced to do anything in that regard.

9 Likes

Doesn’t change the fact it was made for about .1% of people.

Overall a waste of business resources from a financial standpoint. It’s not going to attract or retain enough players to be a net positive on their income.

7 Likes

Why did you quote me if you’re gonna ignore what was said?

It wasn’t made for a dev so they could accommodate them. They would simply assign another dev for that because it’s cheaper.

Orrrrrrr the dev made it themselves, since that’s ya’know, what they do?

I’m afraid of paying a subscription for WoW, can I get a filter for that too?

8 Likes

Highly doubt Blizzard paid someone to make and developed something that will generate almost zero extra income

It was a single persons project. It cost Blizzard literally nothing to implement, and it does nothing but help those that suffer from this phobia.

I swear, this keeps proving to be a good issue to see who is an empathetic and good person, and who just needs to have a swift kick in the amygdala.

13 Likes

I don’t get people scared of things in a video game, but if it helps people, it helps.

The thing is, the flight mode from dragon riding actually makes people have motion sickness. I thought I was going to throw up the first few times I did it.

What do we get to help with our issue, which I think is WAY more serious than someone who is scared of spiders. Spiders were barely see in this game compared to how much we fly.

3 Likes

There are literally already Motion Sickness settings in the Mounts section of Options.

And by the way, its not about being ‘scared’. Its about our brains triggering an ancient reaction that was imbedded into us via thousands of years of dying to little spiders.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting assessment. Source?

2 Likes

people are soft nowadays.

1 Like

Maybe re-read the point I was trying to make, and the follow-ups on cost. This has nothing to do with empathy, directly. That said, I am an empathetic person, and if they want to continue with this, that’s great, but I don’t imagine Blizzard understood what they released with this.

Are we going to be so petty to complain about an accessibility option? I swear GD can just be revolting sometimes.

10 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnophobia#cite_note-4

2 Likes

Hote take: The arachnophobia toggle is very on-brand for Blizzard.

Right up there with exploding sheep and annoying character pokes.

Nice little thing, sometimes useful, maybe fun. not a huge deal either way. no need to fuss over it

3 Likes

Well, Many over in Overwatch GD threw an absolute fit when people posted suggestions to have Hero interactions as Subtitles or moved into the chat box. So… not shocked, nor surprised by the actions here.

3 Likes

And did you also search Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, the in-game suggestion box?

2 Likes