April Copeland's reponse to the new Kalimdor book

I did.

But, again, minimal effort. Deleting/renaming NPCs, rewording quests, it’s a lot less time consuming than creating new NPCs and quests. It’s still minimum effort.

1 Like

Somewhat. But not exactly.

Same could be said about this whole argument… it really is just an argument between fans, since Blizz has not mentioned removing skimpy transmogs.

There are ways to change how other players look that are defined by Blizz, but they are not exactly how people demand seeing others. Likewise, there are rule sets for how we display ourselves to others.

As I said - it is an interesting discussion. I could see both sides.

I found that using the Black Umbrella from Revendreth turns my Merc Mode Characters to their original Horde Race. So in BGs like AB, or others where I can find I high enough place to jump off of… I can be my Horde Race on the Alliance against the Horde.

Other folks who Merc mode want to blend in.

And others want to see the Merc Modes Highlighted, on both sides.

They remove sl*tmogs from time to time as they become apparent, depending on how extreme.

I think I lost something in the conversation. I thought you wanted the option to not see revealing gear?

I don’t recall them ever removing any such appearances in the game. The closest I can think of is making one such as the Polychromatic Visionwrap unobtainable when changing a dungeon. But anyone who had already added the Polychromatic Visionwrap appearance to their collection can still now transmog it at any time.

You did! It’s okay, it happens all the time.

No, Julia implied a potential fix to seeing skimpy clothing would be as easy as a toggle switch, using the Brewfest underwear goggles as an example. I said it’s not as simple as “reversing the switch” here, because those goggles just show the already-present underwear all characters have, where-as “skimpy clothing” is 1) harder to define, 2) not removing a layer because it is the only layer, and 3) would need to replace said skimpy clothing with… What? It can’t be the un-transmogged gear, because sometimes the skimpy armor isn’t a transmog. So, a more complex issue than “flipping a switch”.

And that, in turn, was a detour from Small saying that objectionable emotes, outfits, activities, etc should all be fine because you can just opt out of it, which brought up the question of how I can “opt out” of half the female avatars in a BG dressed not for a skirmish, but for a game of DOA Extreme Volleyball.

They modify them if they are too extreme. Especially the ones that are used improperly. Like ones that appear to be the same color as draenei skintone, with a darker rivet on the pecs.

Yes, hence my suggestion of an easily toggleable appearance Blizzard already had coded in the game. Which it sounds like you would still want?

Which item was that?

Except we’re still not addressing 2) hard to define. What counts as skimpy? What doesn’t? What percentage of a character’s skin should be acceptable, and what turns it into skimpy/revealing/unacceptable?

No?

I’m debating the mechanics of how it would even work. Small is the one who said it should be implemented. I said “k, but how tho?”

If boys want to dress their female avatars in as little clothing as possible for some thrills because they don’t know how to Google underwear models, it doesn’t bother me. And if less creepy people are shooting for a specific theme of transmog for their character, I’m fine with that too. And I’d hate to see Blizzard try and decide what “revealing” suddenly means regarding clothing.

… No, actually I’d love to see that. I imagine there’d be some good laughs there.

No need to be defined. To be easily toggbleable it would apply to everyone, same as any effect that changes how characters are presented.

I think I misunderstood this statement, though:

Having to live with something doesn’t sound like wanting to live with it.

Though, to note, I’m for the removal of the jokes. There is a difference between Blizzard removing things players have collected and Blizzard removing things in the game that is their content to present.

Amadis, I was addressing a hypothetical solution with a hypothetical scenario. I didn’t think this would be hard to understand. Maybe I should have been clearer.

So the solution to being offended by skimpy armor is a toggle to “either accept it or every single character will use a default appearance identical to every member of their class, and all transmog, objectionable or not, is thus prohibited for you”?

That might be the most extreme solution to a potential WoW problem I’ve heard yet. If you don’t want to see people overly sexuallize women, then you must deal with everyone wearing one of twelve outfits.

1 Like

I feel the option is better than not. I don’t think the situation need be hypothetical. As the case is right now one “must” accept things as is already.

Just a general question.

If something is vocalized as problematic by a group should it be removed because this group claims that its not acceptable in polite society?

Noting that no one group is representive of everyone in that group and the ones we might hear are probably the loudest ones.

And I feel an option to make the game objectively look worse isn’t a solution to a problem; it’s swapping one problem for another. And it also sends a bad message. “You don’t like it when we sexualize the women? Fine, you can look at a bland game instead, and you also opt out of transmog entirely too!!”

It should be discussed, sure. But discussion does not equal removal. Some things can rationally be determined to be problematic. Some isn’t everything.

Having originally come from Ragnarok Online before WoW launched, where there was no armor customization and everyone of every class had the same base appearance, the impact or which is a subjective stance.

You could still transmog yourself, though. It wouldn’t take away your appearance collection.

1 Like

I dont remember. I used to follow the sl*tmog subreddit.

I mean, we’re literally discussing cosmetics here. Presumably if you’re bothered by cosmetic options other people use, you have some degree of investment in cosmetics.

But honestly, I don’t see the point in discussing this any further. Agree to disagree, I’m out of this back and forth.

Kinda how it was in Vanilla upto Transmog becoming available where everyone tried to get that one BIS piece for each gear piece. Each Class/Spec was striving to look the same as all the rest of that Class/Spec.

Back when there was a time that all Paladins wanted Banana-Shoulders…before moving to the next BIS…

2 Likes

And the clown suits we all wore back in Burning Crusade.

4 Likes