April Copeland's reponse to the new Kalimdor book

This might be true, but writers/devs pitting players against each other via their unscrupulous expositions set the precedent for this to be mostly unavoidable.

2 Likes

Just because the devs want us to seperate ourselves into seperate camps of fans doesn’t mean we have to.

I mean, the devs also want me to do Torghast, and that hasn’t worked out for them for a year.

15 Likes

A whole year? Geez.

1 Like

Nobody mentioned Belgrom Rockmaul. I recently learned that Blizzard deleted his quest chain from Classic at one point. They seem to have brought it back, but changed some of his dialogue to not be misogynistic.

I mentioned him, though I didn’t know they changed the dialogue.

1 Like

All of his dialogue about how he shouldn’t have trusted a woman was removed from his first quest.

1 Like

I consider a year without Torghast to be a year well spent.

… I think it’s been a year…

6 Likes

I prefer islands myself.

2 Likes

Well I hate to break it to you but not having fun and looking too deep into Warcraft’s story is what we’re all about here.

Be sure to visit the gift shop on the way out.

10 Likes

Do we have that though? As far as division is concerned, alliance and horde fans can be further split by our visions for them.

Actually that encouragement post-Gygax was for GM’s to make any changes anywhere in the system that they felt like.

Gygax used to put his personal phone number on the back of dnd books so players could call him and ask him to clarify rules. And a lot of the times his response was “Do it in whatever way is fun for you.”

Because dnd is more a game about collaborative story telling than anything else.

1 Like

When it got to AD+D though, it became “do your own thing but if you’re not doing it this way, you’re doing it wrong.”

So, does anyone think they’ll be thorough, when they presumably reprint the book? I think they’ll mess up and leave some inaccuracies/stereotypes in.

Like, the part where Lor’themar teaches Zekhan how to write may be removed, but they might miss the part about Goblins poisoning wells, or how the Night Elves are the aggressors.

Certainly none will be removed should the Mysterious All Powerful Racist Grey Eminence Editor slip even more racism in unbeknownst to Sean again (allegedly).

13 Likes

Does anyone actually care? Why is anyone still playing WoW?

Like, how exhausting is it to play a game that literally gets everything wrong?

3 Likes

What a cute response but by all means dig for a story that isn’t really there.

You are so edgy and cool.

4 Likes

It’s not that deep, actually. As soon as I heard that Lor’themar was going to teach Zekhan how to read and write, before the book came out, I knew trouble was brewing.

Because I’m still having fun? I don’t have to like or agree with every part of the story to still find some enjoyment playing the game. Honestly, I’m having more fun with the story in Shadowlands than I had during BfA, but I don’t expect everyone to have the same view. I like most of the new Shadowlands characters, I like the zones, and I’ve gotten to see more of some of my favorite recurring minor characters. There’s still plenty I can criticize, or plenty of things that I just personally wish were different, but there’s also things I still enjoy. If I stop having fun, or if I find it “exhausting” to play, I’ll stop playing, but I haven’t hit that point yet. Other people have, and that’s okay. Life’s too short to play a video game if you aren’t having fun playing it.

To tie that back to the topic, I want new WoW books to be good, because I want WoW to be good, and I want to see it improve. The new Kalimdor book as initially released goes against that, so I’m glad to see it pulled and the release date pushed back, but I don’t want to see it get released unless the needed changes are actually made. Moreover, I want to see changes made to how Blizzard produces such works in order to prevent this sort of disaster happening again.

13 Likes