April Copeland's reponse to the new Kalimdor book

Don’t feel bad for calling someone out for dismissing a very real issue people are upset about.He did it with the book and he’ll do it again with something else.

7 Likes

The author is literally the “fact-checker” in so much as such a thing exists at Blizzard. It’s his literal job. It’s why suggesting Sean didn’t see the final draft before publication is absurd.

25 Likes

In the case of this book he should not of been. The author should never be their own fact checker, because you are usually blind to errors in your own script—Your brain reads in what you meant to say even if it isn’t what you actually said.

Fact checking is the job of copy editors, which ABK apparently forgot to use or something. I dunno, something in their publishing cycle is weeeird.

7 Likes

Everyone is seething for some reason and here I am, happy that the great cheese vendor and the Northwatch lads are holding a keep right outside Orgrimmar. 10/10 book for sure.

1 Like

There were two editors for the book. I saw a screenshot of the book credits somewhere but I can’t find it now.

Edit: Nvm, found it. The editors are Allison Avalon Irons and Chloe Fraboni.

1 Like

Irons has left Blizzaed since August 2021 after being there since 2017 (Hmmmmm)

Fabroni joined Blizzard only last year and comes from a strictly book editing background (new to the industry), cannot find any social media presence to indicate whether or not she’s a gamer in general or a wow one at that

Either way the books entire team was 100% non-POC, which explains at least the flagrant errors in Habitual Be.

People think you can just replace is with be in wherever like pepper and it make sense lol

African Diasporic Vernaculars have grammar and syntax

11 Likes

Because you can. It’s a very minor issue and you harping on about it is irritating.

2 Likes

I know it feels like that from the outside looking in, but I suppose for someone who uses it, that might be another story. I know I see Appalachian English used wrong all the time in media and as a native speaker it never gets less annoying.

I definitely dont harp on people… But you better bet Imma give you a look when you inevitably pronounce Appalachia wrong.

12 Likes

I’d feel more sympathy if I saw more than literally one person complaining about it, and him whining so much on this specific thing just makes me annoyed.

1 Like

That is fair yeah. There are certainly more egregious issues to be focused on.

2 Likes

Literally what do you think people are complaining about when talking about how Zekhan talks?

I’ve literally retweeted dozens of people saying the same and agreeing with me in the comments where I bring it up

But because y’all are hyper fixated on me as a person you ignore everyone else around me

Outta here with that nonsense

Yup.

Same with people speaking Spanglish incorrectly. There’s actually a consistent syntax due to the nature of both language’s constructions

6 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone else complain about how Zekhan talks. Your Twitter echo chamber doesn’t count.

1 Like

“Sure you may have dozens of players including most of the more visible Black roleplayers, but because they are your friends they don’t count”

Ugly logic.

9 Likes

They don’t count because they don’t post here.

1 Like

For Appalachian English it is more that it evolved in isolation so it kept some old conventions that got abandoned elsewhere, and there are some classism issues you suffer with. We get taught not to speak like this so outsiders don’t think we have the intellect of a turnip.

15 Likes

Story forum regulars are down to a dozen people on any given day lmao

We are about to disappear, like the dodo bird

9 Likes

We’ve got NEFPAs who have been spamming the forums about their overblown problems for years, if people who actually play the game agree so much with the little issues you constantly bring up then you’d have a group of your own doing the same.

1 Like

I’m literally one of like 5 Latin Americans who post here in this forum when we account for 40% of the damn continental/macro regional playerbase lmao

Let’s think about sample sizes a smidge and how they work

4 Likes

You guys are way too spicy for 1am.

4 Likes

This is a weird fight. Which aspects of racism, or even general discrimination, are acceptable for discourse when present in the game?

Cuz yeah, seeing a bunch of white guy devs mangling dialects they made a conscious choice to use without basic research beyond TV shows can be pretty insulting when it’s a dialect you use or are very familiar with.

I just can’t with this forum sometimes.

18 Likes