Anyone got a 5G phone yet?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749338020565483613/816906927828107274/PXL_20210302_235553916.jpg

Got this yesterday as it was $350 for the phone, decided why not.

The download speeds I get on my phone is pretty amazing, no 5g coverage at home yet but when I head in the main city downtown, thing is so fast. I don’t even use my company’s wifi anymore because how fast I can get YouTube videos/streaming/browsing websites

I got a covid vaccine, does that count?

I got one too yesterday as well, then I got this phone LOL

1 Like

Isn’t fast enough to wow me. Maybe cause I don’t use it for anything other then Instagram, Reddit, and Spotify.

I guess it downloads Bloons TD6 update a bit quicker? 4G was plenty fast for most of the things I do. But then again, could be cause Tmobile sucks.

I’m still using Google Pixel 3a XL

it’s good, not upgrading until it dies though

my last phone was a google pixel 3a XL too

In the past 4 or 5 years or so, I went from the Pixel XL first model, LG v40, Pixel 3A XL to this Pixel 4a 5G

How does it compare to the 3a xl, 5g notwithstanding

Faster response time, bigger screen ratio, more ram, more storage, battery last longer than the 3a xl

Camera is so much better too.

if the phone was $500 like the MSRP I’d say no its not worth it, but considering the fact, I was paying $480 for my Pixel 3a XL like $20 a month, vs $15 a month, it was worth it for me in the long run.

1 Like

Yeah I have it on my G20 Note. When you can find it it’s generally pretty fast but it’s not widespread enough yet to really matter.

1 Like

Roommate somewhat recently upgraded to an iPhone 12, but that was more because they were a few gens behind and the 12 just happens to support 5G. It being 5G capable wasn’t really the draw.

Personally I’m still on an iPhone 11 Pro Max and 4G is good enough, especially now that I’m perpetually apartment-bound. Also have a Pixel 3XL for android development purposes. Probably won’t upgrade either until performance becomes a problem or one dies (currently expecting the Pixel to croak first, already had a Pixel 3 lose its ability to charge).

5G probably wont be in my area until 6G is coming out. Thats how it was for the transition from 3g to 4g.

The reason you use WiFi is so you don’t use up your bandwidth. Unlimited plans may not restrict you but they will throttle you.

I have been waiting for more than a year for this supposed ‘5G revolution’. Where is it? Like you said have to drive downtown… that’s great an hour drive for me to get 5G yay… There are different versions of ‘5G’.

millimeter wave: this is the fastest it’s also the most sensitive to walls and heat. So it’s great if you can get line of sight to a tower and get 1.2GB download speeds… yay… but you can’t go very far and this is the holy grail for 5G, but it’s going to take time to get.

T-Mobile 5G is NOT 5G at all… neither is ATT. They are playing games with the name ‘5G’ it’s THEIR 5th generation of wireless but NOT the millimeter wave to get the really good speed. Do not be fooled. Have to wait for ATT 5G plus. T-Mobile is done but their 5G is pathetic, it’s slower than previous generation.

Low band, mid band:. This is what is upgraded in neighborhood and surrounding area. I get 5G at my house but it’s only marginally faster than 4G Lte… so who cares.

I want Verizon 5G Home the internet service. No wires, all WiFi even the router on the house will be a cellular link. They are offering 3 months free, it’s 1 even 2GB (starting speed) no bandwidth cap and it will include youtube TV and other services for free. It will get up to 10GB (says Verizon) in the coming years much faster than any fiber or anything we have now via coax, fiber, uverse, comcast… all the big names…

Best part if you are Verizon customer the cost is 50 bucks. That’s what I am ‘waiting’ for… but I am not even slightly excited anymore… I have 2 5G phone now (Samsung S10 5G and now iPhone 12 Max) I feel like I am just wasting money hoping for better technology that never shows up.

I have the Galaxy S20+. I figure it will be several generations old before my local companies even consider getting 5G.

What is interesting is there are many ‘local companies’ but they are all affiliates of T-Mobile, ATT or Verizon.

So when the big boys upgrade in your area those little companies will too. They may not announce right way but they are on the list.

I remember i got a 3g phone from ATT

and it never would be 3G because i live in the woods.

I was lied to as a kid.

Pssst.

Santa isn’t real.

dad is that you?

https://media.tenor.com/images/1f93cdacfca1adcf6917a7f334d68461/tenor.gif

I’ve been using the iPhone 12 since a week after the series released. It’s been pretty decent with 5G in my area.

I live in a large metropolitan area, a city where 5G was rolled out early. My iPhone 12 has been getting decent speeds around 350-600 mbps depending on the side of town I’m on.