Anyone got a 5G phone yet?

Tmo was selling the Pixel 4a 5g for $240 ($10/month for 24 months) in December. Great deal.

I don’t see the point of 5G. What are you doing on your phone that needs that speed? 4G seems fast enough for everything I do.

The main use I see for 5G is for people who travel a lot tethering to a laptop, or in the case of business notebooks (Thinkpads, etc) that support it plugging a SIM card directly into those. Otherwise yeah I think 4G is good enough for most, it’s not like 3G which was somewhat sluggish for a lot of “normal” usage.

1 Like

Speaking of 5g, I got my second shot of 5g this morning. Arm starting to get a little sore now.

How I thought you had to wait 28 days for the next shot, unless you had one already prior to your 2nd reply above

first shot 2/23, second 3/16. 21 days is the Pfizer timeline.

i hear the 2nd one hits like a truck. The four people I know that got it just slept all day.

So far, just sore arm. But it’s only been a couple hours.

I’m waiting for telco to catchup.

Still using my Oneplus 7 12GB/256GB. I bought it at $500 2 years ago.

Still using this used Pixel 4a XL I got from Swappa for $200 a year or so ago. No indication of needing to upgrade yet.

1 Like

I’m more into Sony. Their prices these days are outrageous. They don’t even have the market share like Apple or Samsung. Thats how I ended up with Oneplus. I might consider Xperia 5 II second hand if the price is good enough.

This phone will last me a while. Overspeced $500 phone. lol

1 Like

Oh, I took Moderna and have to wait 28 days

Thought Pfizer followed the same day lengths as Moderna

In our area, 4G is typically 20-30 mbps, 5G is 80-100 mbps. If it ever gets to the “350-600 mbps” range, it will be faster and cheaper than what the cable company offers. With faster upload speeds too based on current 4G and 5G speeds.

The only drawback is that unlimited data plans for mobile usually means unlimited up to a certain limit. Which is lower than the data cap for cable.

On TMobile you get 50-100 gb of unlimited data depending on which magenta plan you buy

I never use my wifi at work or home and I have yet to go past 30gb, how is it even possible to go over your limit

I’m guessing for many users it’s due to the free high def streaming with Disney, HBO, or Netflix depending on which provider they use. I see lots of people outside watching videos.

Not surprised about that at all, so much of NA is badly served when it comes to internet.

Terrestrial ISPs are starting to feel the pressure from both 5G and Starlink now though, and that pressure is only going to increase in a few years when OneWeb and Kuiper are in orbit. They’re gonna have to step up their game if they don’t want to lose all their customers practically overnight. Either way, quality of internet is about to rapidly increase for large chunks of the US.