Anyone Else Kinda Just...Depressed?

That is not for her to decide though!

I did. And to be honest, I also expect if she were to lose Undercity, the Alliance would lose Tedrassil. What I didnt expect is how cruel even Sylvanas could be.

Something tells me it wont end like that. The only question is how will it end. Blizz seems convinced they have an ace up their sleeve, personally I wish they would show it already, for good or ill!

2 Likes

I feel like Iā€™ve gained nothing and lost just about everything. Every aspect of Warcraft that drew me to the Horde storyline just sort of gave up the ghost. Thrall went to be grandpa, Volā€™jin justā€¦ died for no reason after doing nothing in the Warlords of Draenor expansion, Cairne got suckerpunched by Magathaā€™s poison when she coated Garroshā€™s axe, Baine hasnā€™t even /begun/ to fill his fatherā€™s footsteps and in personal opinion, heā€™s taken at least five steps back, Varok Saurfang just wimping out and buying into patsy-making syndrome.

And then there is, of course, the Forsaken problem. Calia Menethil, the LIGHT-RAISED FORSAKEN, as if two contradictory powers could do the same thing (thereā€™s a whole bunch of political problems attached to the tail end of her whole existence but thatā€™s something that can be addressed. The nature of her being, absolutely not.)

And Delaryn and Sira. Not only did these two characters show up in an Alliance storyline (as perhaps a breath of fresh air, after having nothing but Tyrande, Maiev and Malfurion non-stop), theyā€™re also stripped away from the Alliance storyline by dying, only to be brought back from the dead and then be given POSITIONS OF LEADERSHIP?

For the one-two hit combo, weā€™ve got the introduction of BEFORE THE STORM, written by Christie Golden. To hell with the splintered focus on Forsaken society. Nevermind FREE WILL being a huge, immovable center piece to their culture. Theyā€™ve had THE THOUGHT POLICE from the start, according to this book. The people who deny their own horrible existence, or whoā€™ve moved on to become something else and not just stereotypical mustache twirlers? Theyā€™re just one tiny little camp called the Desolate Council. Oh, and look out! Haha! Here comes all of them dying to essentially friendly fire! Woosh. Just like that, all aspects of Forsaken culture are destroyed and for nothing other than shock value, as well as the introduction of Lightbound Undead Calia Menethil. Give me a break.

Oh, and Sylvanas, too. Nevermind the cold, calculating, subtle spider-esque person who doesnā€™t wear her heart on her sleeve and never does anything morally bankrupt if she canā€™t defend it, sheā€™s getting hit with DAT VILLAIN BAT. Oh yeah, sheā€™s raid fodder now! Line up to get your sick bow drops and sister-mount drop ā€œInvisibleā€!

Thereā€™s so much more (profanity) I could write about, such as the starting of BFA, but for the sake of time efficiency, Iā€™ll withhold.

If there is any writer from the team that is reading this, Iā€™m not volatile because itā€™s bad. Iā€™m happy to sit down with people and talk it out politely, constructively and fairly. Iā€™m volatile because Iā€™m being purposefully ignored and something I desperately want to improve keeps getting worse and worse.

Please contact me, Iā€™ve been trying forever to get in contact with someone- anyone who could fix the damage done.

24 Likes

Katiera has stated before that she enjoys other people being disappointed and dismayed by the story. You are not talking with someone for whom normal human empathy applies.

On topic, i am in total agreement. I feel like the only people who are winning today are the extremists on both factions who donā€™t give a damn what is trampled so long as their narrow interests are fulfilled.

13 Likes

Yep! Been wanting to kill Sylvanas for a long time now~

1 Like

Villain against the alliance =/= villain against the horde. If she had to be everyoneā€™s villain, why make her a war chief instead of a traitor? Why force the horde players and characters to go along until the writers find it convenient to rebel? Why force alliance players to work with the horde after massive casualties?

But the flaw is in making this war meaningless. The alliance has had plenty of reasons to fight. Why write a genocide to motivate people, only to backpedal?

Blizzard canā€™t decide whatā€™s core to the franchise. If itā€™s the faction war, then they need to stop having us work together. If itā€™s saving the world, then they need to stop inventing reasons to have us fight. If itā€™s managing both, then they need to stop swinging from one extreme to the other.

26 Likes

you are right 100%, i remember thinking that while colecting houd blood 11 years ago

you may be joking but i do need that! now people are craking ā€œare we the baddiesā€ memes at us.

Considering one of the first forsaken quest was about how Sylvanasā€™ goons was feeding the plague to Alliance prisoners then yes, I think you should have thought about it.

3 Likes

Yeah, that doesnā€™t mean she had to be an antagonist for the Horde. Having some tension in the Horde between her ideals and the Honor bros was fine, it didnā€™t need to culminate with another civil war. BFA could have been a more nuanced look at these two sides without making them both cartoonishly stupid. The faction should have learned from MoP, not regressed back to it.

23 Likes

I love Sylvanas since Warcraft 3 and her defiance to arthas and the scourgeā€¦
I saw flaws and qualities, she was not right about everything, but she still had her point and fought for it, the same could be said about Tyrande, Kaelā€™thas, Illidan and even Arthas, they were heroes and villains but they had a reason for it.

nowadays Iā€™m sad about all those heroes I grew up with, they were transformed and disformed into beings that are either idiots or died for no good reason.
( Kaelā€™thas thats you).

the game is losing more characters than it is gaining, the new blood are either put to the side of the story when its expansion ends just for a another irrelevant new character to take its place and cycle will continue.

Now I follow Sylvanas in spite of the course they put her and the whole horde.
we were promised a FACTION war, not another rebellion. this expansion is worse than wod cuz at least wod tried something new, bfa not even that.

perhaps in the end just honor horde and humanity above all( aka human paladins) will still play this game. since both are just another face of the same coin.
and its hurt to see a faction that was interesting just becoming just another alliance, cuz that is the future of the horde, be the alliance 3.0 but with ā€˜ā€˜monstersā€™ā€™

8 Likes

Wellllā€¦ that ship sailed in Cataclysm when they turned her into a goober.

6 Likes

No, it really didnā€™t. We went several expansions after Cata with no developments of her being a Horde antagonist until BFA.

19 Likes

Naw, Iā€™m feel positive and hopeful for the future.

But thatā€™s because I am playing other games. I have no hope for WOWā€™s future though, and Iā€™d probably be pretty depressed if I was invested in it anymore.

11 Likes

It is a letdown to see what they are doing to Sylvanas. But keep this on mind.
Characters, people, heroesā€¦ they all die. But their Legacy lives on forever.
Blizzard can do whatever they want to murder a beloved character (afterall itā€™s their own character). But they canā€™t change how we feel about these characters no matter what.

So stay strong, and may the Dark Lady watch over you!

She has been my favorite character since Warcraft 3 days, she was just a few polygons back then!

7 Likes

I remember when I made a trial account and made a short-lived troll hunter. My friend, who played an undead rogue at the time was like ā€œdude you need to come see Undercity.ā€ So he picked me up from Durotar and we took the long walk to the zepplin and then to Tirisfal. The place blew my mind, even when Sylvanas had a night elf model I thought she was so rad and interesting.

Now similar to OP yeah I just feel kinda sad when I think about my first time in the game. Itā€™s just changed so much, and in a lot of ways those changes just arenā€™t good. Once Sylvanas is gone whoā€™s next I wonder?

6 Likes

Are you really asking for an established evil character to make a sudden 180 for no reason other than ā€œI like herā€?

Because thatā€™s bad.

3 Likes

You know whats sad? Iā€™ll miss reading your posts, which I always agree 100% with, itā€™s like me typing.
So everyday I get on the forums to read what you have to say.

whoever you are! Keep on rockin!

3 Likes

No? Iā€™m saying that her being an antagonist for the Alliance doesnā€™t mean she has to be an antagonist for the Hordeā€¦

29 Likes

Weā€™re gonna raid someone or something in 8.3, and itā€™s likely to be her. Even blizz said her scheme or story is nearing endgame - I took it as a ā€œher end is nearā€. This is a lose-lose situation now for blizzard.

We raid/kill her - her haters happy, her fans arenā€™t.
We donā€™t raid/kill her - her fans happy, her haters arenā€™t.

Things so far mirrors or at least closely resembles MoP. We all know what happened to the warchief in MoP, donā€™t we?
ā€œDude, blizz said we wonā€™t raid herā€ the same blizz who said she wouldnā€™t do teldrassil? Yeah. Yes, I know, thatā€™s not what they actually said, but you get my point.

2 Likes

I dunno. Iā€™d feel pretty cheated if a character kept hurting my favored faction and I couldnā€™t do anything back to them because they were a faction leader and/or had plot armor up the wazoo. Thatā€™s pretty much how all my Alliance-leaning friends feel tbh.

There has to be a comeuppance.

3 Likes