Anyone Else Kinda Just...Depressed?

I remember being 6 years old, visiting the Undercity for the first time on my little tauren warrior with my mother watching me play over my shoulder. Speaking to Sylvanas was such a cool experience for me, trying to figure out why the Forsaken existed and why they liked green slime so much. It was fun, it was different, it was new.

Fast forward to now, 15 years later, I’m 21 and I’m watching my favorite character, Sylvanas, slowly degrade as a character, not only in the eyes of every character, but also in the eyes of the fanbase. She’s been ruined, irreversibly. No matter what direction she goes, if she isn’t just wiped from the story, players will always hate her. Kerrigan 2.0, Illidan 2.0, Garrosh 2.0, Grommash 2.0, whatever, whatever.

Do “true Horde” players, on the side of Saurfang (or at least on the side of killing Sylvanas) actually believe they’re gaining anything from this storyline? Do they think the Horde is growing anything but weaker, and smaller, and more limited, with fewer characters–let alone interesting characters with years of history?

I feel like all my faith in the writers has been ripped out of me. I don’t think they have any grand twist. They destroyed the True Horde I cared about: a unified Horde under a Sylvanas who’s seen character growth, who loves the Horde, the Sylvanas I saw in the BfA cinematic who could stand against the Alliance on moral footing which could at least be considered within miles of being equal. That hype is dead.

I’m just sad, dude. This sucks so bad. I feel physically ill just thinking about how badly the playerbase will always be fractured over this. It didn’t have to be like this.

98 Likes

I was when I first say Sylvanas Burn it cinematic.

I just laugh direction now, I treat with the degree of dignity it deserves.

1 Like

I have been feeling down all day, yeah. It’s weird, cause the Thrall cinematic excited me, but then all the other stuff came out and it just ruined my hype… different reasons for feeling down, but same idea. Nobody wins today.

23 Likes

Agreed OP. It’s been rough as a Horde fan losing Vol’jin, Cairne, Thrall abandoning us, Baine going Anduin-crazy, Saurfang preferring to sit in an Alliance dungeon rather than go home with his fellow-Horde. Garrosh’s entire character arc. It’s been rough.

Now to see everything they are doing to get rid of Sylvanas, who is voice acted by the wonderful Patty Mattson (who by all accounts Blizzard has a great relationship with), and who is also one of the last original pre-WoW Horde characters left who hasn’t abandoned the Horde like Thrall and Saurfang. It’s really quite sad that this is where we are. I don’t deny what Sylvanas has done in BfA, I only question the wisdom of the writers who chose this path.

The worst part is seeing all of the Horde players cheering on these story decisions, as if getting rid of Sylvanas forgives all the nihilistic things the Horde has been forced to do this expansion (Teldrassil, Brennedam, etc.)

59 Likes

“I just want to kill alliance without being called evil”

12 Likes

Yes. Maybe in a faction war story we could, perchance, find some morally justifiable reason to actually participate in the war on equal footing with a historic enemy without getting finger-waggled. Maybe.

I mean, the chance for that has passed. So you’re right. Blizzard’s on your side. Have fun.

53 Likes

As long as Sylvanas was part of the Horde that was never gonna happen. If anything all the evils done by the Horde are finally coming to bite them.

2 Likes

Wow this is what its like to have blizz on our side? I feel so privileged.

10 Likes

It didn’t have to end up like this. It didn’t have to be this way. The writers could have changed course any time. They had SEVERAL YEARS to make things right before it got this bad.

46 Likes

Sylvanas was planning on using the blight against the Alliance since Vanilla. If you didn’t think such a course of action wouldn’t inevitably turn her into a villain sooner or later I’d say you were deluding yourself.

12 Likes

Maybe you can realize that war is bad and if you want your story to be somewhat realistic, the characters arent gonna want fight in a meaningless war

5 Likes

I have to say I don’t take things sooo hard. It is a bummer to witness the story play out. But mildly so.

I do have a degree of empathy for hardcore Night Elf fans, hardcore Forsaken fans, and various other fans who feel abused, side lined, and treated as props instead of characters with motivation. I know people have different attitudes. People get effected by different things. While I am not very emotional about the game, I do give sone sympathy.

I will say I am disappointed with almost every new reveal. It is loathsome to see Thrall and Saurfang prepare to destroy the Horde. Killing dark rangers was bad enough, but soon I will be helping Jaina and Saurfang kill Sunreavers. Tyrande was apparently getting her revenge all this time and is being purposely sidelined (what?)…

There is little to look forward to, for me. Storywise. It seems like the typical story of a 5 dollar bargain basement PC solo player game.

22 Likes

I feel this, though. I wanted the redemption arc over the easier “Lmao zombies are vengeful, justified bad guys” trope Blizz was always obviously playing footsies with. Back when you were six, I was a 21 year old asking the same questions when I went to the Undercity. Why did this race exist? I was fascinated, too. I was hopeful. So much story potential. And Cata onward has driven them ever farther from my hopes for them. All for easy drama.

They took the notion that the Forsaken were using the Horde as a meat shield to further their evil agendas and ran with it instead of using ANY other plot hook they created to steer the Forsaken away from that boring path. It will forever be my fixation when I look back and examine what ultimately ruined WoW for me.

32 Likes

Lol a redemption arc it was too late for one of those the moment the xpac started, to do one right now would to have every single character just smile and nod and hug it out after genocide lol.

2 Likes

I am looking waaaay farther back than the start of this expac. This was my desire before Cata. BfA is just Blizz flogging the dead horse out of some perverse fetish of theirs at this point. In my eyes.

13 Likes

I’m not 100% upset because it looks like Worgen and Goblins will get heritage armor along with their update, glad I don’t have to wait longer for that because the Cata races usually always get something last compared to other races.

Probably the only thing I like from all of this.

Be thankful you’re being ignored by the story. Last time night elves got attention from Blizzard we enjoyed a nice bonfire, the time before that we enjoyed getting skinned by Warsong raiders in Cata-era Ashenvale. Etc. etc. etc. Any time Blizzard offers any attention to night elves it ends badly. Same could be said for Horde right now.

Believe it or not, but there’s this thing called “character development”, which can occur over given periods of time. Such as…15 years.

The Blight also wasn’t invented until Wrath.

This is worded in such a baffling way that I don’t know how to respond. As for your later point about it being too late, yes. It is. Which is why I’m depressed.

23 Likes

i have been alliance for 11 years.

i always liked it more,their cities, characters, races, pretty much everything about the alliance.
i enjoyed a lot jaina’s journey in wc3 (and in wow as well,still doing it more or less)

After seeing teldrassil that it was basically another theramore but worse (and we didn’t even get revenge then) i was having at least some hope that this will be used to explore not only the nelfs, but also the alliance as a whole.

but that isn’t happening at all, not only blizzard ignores any kind of conflict in the alliance (like everyone agrees with anduin that he released saurfang)
but also doubled it down the problems that we had in mop, working with the horde again, being basically irrelevants secondary characters while the “honor horde” gets all the spotlight, the develop, the CGI cinematics.
meanwhile, the nelfs, the actual victims, and the alliance is just there to serve the horde story, AGAIN.

The final nail in the coffin was that apparently “tyrande already got her revenge” WHAT?!
what i do get from that?
“the alliance is boring omegalul, no conflict, no deep, no more interesting characters, your faction is just a cartoon board,no need for player choice or story, hey look, a thrall CGI cinematic!”

“no need to focus in the victims, nah, we don’t care about the alliance”
if blizzard doesn’t care, why should i? i didn’t even cared at all that they announced heritage armor for gilneans,updated models (and probably reclaiming gilneas? meh, who cares)
if bizzard doesn’t give anything to tyrande that means that they don’t care about the alliance and that, my bros is the moment that the alliance, and this game is dead for me.

11 years in this game
i have been kinda depressed, sad, and angry the entire day and i also feel… kinda empty. thinking “why i wasted so many time in this?”
so yeah, i agree OP.

39 Likes

Ignored? Oh no. No. Gnomes are ignored. We were publicly flogged and denied the right to complain. The story opened with a genocide and closed with us losing characters to the Horde. We haven’t been ignored. We’ve been done raw and dirty.

“Depressed? Just be thankful.” Aint it.

9 Likes

Welcome to the club Vozul. Our group therapy sessions start on Tuesdays, and every other Saturday we do arts & crafts.

46 Likes