Any tech-people able to advise a total noob?

Awesome, thanks. :slight_smile:
Unless no one objects here I’ll go ahead and place that order tomorrow.

Alternatively, you can go for a 5600XT for a bit more, or an RTX 2060 for a bit more, but you won’t get the most out of those GPUs at 1080p with your CPU, and the 5600 XT is a bit more finicky driver-wise. The RTX 2060 is the nvidia equivalent for the most part, slightly slower, but has RTX and NVENC if you want those features.

For people who are less computer savvy, I recommend nvidia and intel products.

1 Like

It looks like the 1660 (ti or super) is the consensus pick on this thread - Yindar, Mordrid and Sal have all recommended it. The 1660 is a solid choice and I think you’ll be happy with it. In terms of performance and longevity it is a better pick than the 1050 and 1650 you were looking at (I loved my 1050ti and still use it in my old computer which is now hooked up to my TV, but you should not buy one).

If you have performance issues in SL or wish you could crank some settings up, that will, most likely, be due to your 4770 CPU and not the new card.

Sal’s pick is a good one.

If budget was not an issue (or if you were planning to upgrade from the 4770 anytime soon) I might push you to get a RTX 2060 or 2070 - but everyone is right, the 1660 ti or super pairs well with your current equipment.

The bottom line here is that all the recommendations are good and it comes down to personal preference or a cost/benefit analysis. Since you’re not an enthusiast looking for every possible way to squeeze every extra FPS out of your rig you really can’t go wrong with anything mentioned here.

Relax and enjoy it! As I mentioned, I had a GTX 645, replaced it with the GTX 1050ti and now have a 3600/2070 rig. My upgrade from 645 to 1050 was amazing and your upgrade from 645 to 1660 will be amazing too!

Just be careful you don’t catch the upgrade itch - you’ll be back here asking for recommendations for your CPU/MB/PSU! :upside_down_face:

EDIT - To add this:

According to your DxDiag, you have a Dell XPS 8700 and I saw this: “The XPS 8700 stock power supply has two six pin PCIe”. If this is correct it looks like you’ll need that 6 to 8 pin converter for power to the new card. Perhaps Sal will be merciful and confirm and maybe even link one that you can add to your purchase. :slight_smile:

You might want to open up the computer and confirm. (This is what you are looking for: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=6+vs+8+pin+pcie&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images) If you have an 8 pin or a 6+2 pin you’ll be ok. If you have 2x6pin you’ll need an adapter. If you have a single 6pin you may need a new PSU.

2 Likes

Totally forgot about psu, got this mixed up with the other thread.

It seems the xps 8700 motherboard and psu has standard 24pin/4pin motherboard connectors and dual 6 pin connectors as Pol has stated.

A quick Google search shows the 8700 has a 460w psu, which will PROBABLY work with one of those adapters Pol mentioned, but given it’s age and unknown quality (not all psus of same wattage area equal) you may wish to consider upgrading that power supply as well.

A good power supply resource:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Of course you could also just get the GPU and see if it works first, or possibly spend even less now and get something lower powered like a 1650 super and then upgrade everything later.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1650-super-gtx-1650-super-aero-itx-oc/p/N82E16814137486?Description=1650%20super&cm_re=1650_super-_-14-137-486-_-Product

The above only requires a 6-pin PCIE and uses less power, so it should be a drop in replacement.

1650 Super is about ~ Slightly better than the RX580 or GTX 1060, and still much faster than the 1050 ti. Review:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1945-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super/

Cliffs: Better than RX 580/GTX 1060, much better than 1050 ti, good 1080p performer, and also quite cheap.

All 1650 Super models pretty much will perform within a few % of one another, it’s mostly about noise and thermals.

1 Like

We’re going make Shard’s head explode!

Let’s try to distill this a bit:

• There is a chance your power supply might not handle the 1660
  • Yindar thinks it will be ok, Sal thinks it might be ok
  • You will need a 6 pin to 8 pin convertor with your current PSU
  • You could also upgrade your PSU (which I did when I went from 645 to 1050ti)
  • You could get the 1650 Super if you wanted to play it safe and not mess with the PSU issues since it only needs a 6 pin for power.
  1. I still think you are better off getting the 1660 ti/super just for a little more future-proofing, but if you don’t want to deal with the PSU then get the 1650 Super. I just don’t think the price/performance is great.
  2. If you want to try your PSU with the 1660, let us know and maybe Sal can link the converter you need.
  3. If you want to get the 1660 and a new PSU, let us know and maybe someone can link a PSU for you.

I hope that helps. Let us know what you decide. Whatever you do, it will be a nice upgrade from the 645.

3 Likes

This is the dual 6 pin to 8 pin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4GGS43?pf_rd_r=7MPTYHP0T92SJGGKZ86X&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

The 1660 Super is indeed better and more worthwhile, but I’m just hesitant to recommend a lot of user-end changes since the user seems a bit apprehensive about changing things out.

A. The 1650 Super swap is doable with minimal intervention on behalf of the user - Direct swap + DDU.

B. The 1660 Super and adapter should be okay and will definitely be a better experience. Direct swap + PCIE adapter cable + DDU.

C. Swapping out the PSU might be a bit more than they want to do, but is the sure way to be certain it will be enough. PSU Swap + GPU Swap + DDU.

These are all viable options, from least invasive to most. A is almost a certain 100% to work, B. is maybe 80% to work with that PSU (totally arbitrary, will probably work), and C. is almost 100% too just more work and cost.

Overall though the scale is not very large, and youtube has tutorials on how to accomplish all of this.

XPS 8700 PSU upgrade tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0QP4cAecg

All that said, the adapter should work if the PSU can supply enough power.

1 Like

Well said Sal - Aunt Pol approves!

OP - as I’ve been saying from the start - much of this is subjective and will come down to your personal preference. While there are objective differences to the various pieces of hardware recommended, since you’re not an enthusiast looking for every incremental increase, all of the solutions are viable.

This is my personal preference for the reason Sal mentioned (bold from me):

adding the adapter cable is just a matter of plugging it in. There is a small risk that your PSU doesn’t handle it and you end up at Sal’s option ‘C’ - if you’re comfortable with that risk, go for it!

This is why I love the field, but don’t post often - so many viable paths to a solution and too easy to go down the rabbit hole… I do enough analysis at work to keep me busy! :slight_smile:

And Sal … for you I will sign this:
– The Duchess of Erat

2 Likes

Sometimes computers seem like a twisted stick with only one end.

Or is that users?

1 Like

Alrighty, much appreciated all. Thank you. :slight_smile:
I went ahead and ordered the 1660 from Newegg that Sal linked. I’m of course going to keep referring to this thread for reference when it comes time to actually put it in, and am prepared to get those other pieces mentioned as necessary.

I will fully admit that all of this info is still a bit much to keep up with so I’m just going to try and take it one step at a time. But I greatly appreciate all of your help here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck!

You will need that adapter for that to work, though. So may as well order it.

1 Like

Is that confirmed required? If so I’ll go ahead and get that too.

pretty sure your psu only has 6 pins, so you’ll need it

1 Like

Both orders have been made. Thanks again!

keep the receipt just in case

For sure.

Actually I accidently got charged for two and now that’s something I’m on edge to try to get fixed during their business hours, lols.

amazon usually will make things right

It was for the video card, from Newegg. Needless to say getting charged double 250+ dollars is not good right now. xD

good luck!

they should make it right

1 Like

Let us know if you need any help when it arrives. Did you get the overcharge cleared up?

1 Like

Doing that when I wake up (laying in bed now ready to drift off to sleep). Got the customer service chat ready to go.

I’ll be posting again once the gear arrives. Thanks again!