Any PC experts out there? Computer Randomly Shutting Down playing WoW

So I found that post, and it’s possible this could fix your issue. But I’m rather skeptical that it would, usually you would see other nasty behaviors if that was the case.

Are you recommending that I avoid this solution? I too am skeptical as to how a WiFi card is causing the computer to shutdown randomly. Come to think of it, he could just be trying to sell WiFi cards from ebay?

It’s an expensive solution when there are software avenues to explore first.

Here is the HWMonitor without the adapter plugged in while in-game. No shutdowns while on battery but I plugged it back in after awhile and it shutoff again after 45 minutes.

https://postimg.cc/DSXDwgx6
https://postimg.cc/3yjcgw5D/728a084f

I also have no idea why the ACPI Driver is not installing on my computer. I’m consulting the Lenovo forums about that as well.

This unfortunately seems to confirm what we suspected, that it’s a ACPI firmware issue. At this point I’m going to firmly recommend force flashing your BIOS to see if that fixes the issue. If not, it’s technically a Lenovo issue, if you’re still under warranty you can try with them. There is one last thing we can try if the BIOS flash doesn’t work, but for security reasons I’m hesitant.

If you’re lucky you’ll get a crash log from windows but they’re often really hard to pinpoint exactly where the failure is. Best case scenario it says something about a video driver then you know for sure the graphic card is the fault.

It could literally be anything causing a computer crash. A bad hdd, memory, video card, issues on the motherboard and so on. It’s just trial and error trying to figure out what is the cause of an issue.

Sometimes just going through the event viewer in windows will give some hints. The easiest hardware to test would be the memory, just let windows check it for you takes a few minutes. If it’s a graphic card issue than usually just running a stress test will quickly show it.

Also overheating CAN be an issue on your graphic card or cpu. Make sure your fans are working properly and no components are overheating. A simple tool to check for that would be hwmonitor.

Again, we are fairly sure at this point this is not a heat issue but a power delivery issue. The temperatures while playing the game are perfectly normal for a laptop while playing the game. What we are trying to isolate now is if it’s a bad VRM or firmware. I’m fairly convinced it’s the firmware because I’ve seen this before with other lenovo laptops.

I’m going to try flashing the BIOS to a previous version and maybe the issue will disappear. I just need to figure out how to do that. The warranty for this laptop expired last year. I actually convinced Lenovo to do another repair because I wasn’t satisfied with the previous one. They ended up replacing the HDD and another component. I think they did a stress test, so they would have discovered the issue had it occurred. They obviously failed to fix this issue after I explained it clearly to them.

Unfortunately my suspicion is this is the same issue that affected other machines from lenovo from around that period after Microsoft issued their Spectre and Meltdown patches. I’m quite annoyed that it seems Lenovo didn’t issue a BIOS update to your machine at that time. But I’d rather try the BIOS flash first if possible as otherwise we potentially introduce a vulnerability.

This is very strange. It appears that the random shutdowns that I experienced playing WoW don’t occur while playing other games like GTA V online.

How about locking it at a medium setting?

I have issues where my screen of my laptop simply shuts off.

I had this a year ago with HOTS, sent the laptop in for repair, they found nothing.

Coincidently I stopped playing HOTS so IDK if they did anything except a full format and setting reset… (edit: IIRC I had manually set high performance for HOTS and when Dell reset my laptop it went to default, so hmmm…)

That being said, just started playing WOW, had an issue with an in game item, was on the phone w support.

Mind you, WOW’s running smooth as silk. (performance wise)

Dude says to clear my cache temp and all those folders. Then he says to go to my power settings and put them on high performance.

Week later laptop screen shuts off at high temps.

This is consistent as of last night.

After work I am shutting off high performance power options but I will try and keep it at a static setting.

Any thoughts would be super appreciated.

I can’t speak to anyone’s issues with this other than the OPs. This was a very very specific issue to Lenovo hardware in relation to the Spectre and Meltdown patches and the firmware updates and patches from Microsoft.

Yeah, I just stumbled on this thread after a search for “Heat issues”.

FWIW, I put power settings on balanced last night and had no further issues w/ monitor shutting off or excess heat

Did the BIOS flash work? I’m having the same issue with my Lenovo laptop, specifically while running BFA, which is odd. I can play classic all day long at max settings with no problem, but if I’m doing anything more intense at all in BFA- zap computer shuts off.

Sorry for the 11 month necro, but this thread is exactly what I was looking for and I didn’t want to start from scratch.