Any PC experts out there? Computer Randomly Shutting Down playing WoW

I am running into a problem were my computer shutdowns occasionally from playing WoW. When it occurs, my character just runs forward and I am unable to move or stop the movement. My laptop after a few seconds silently shuts off.

I’m playing on a Lenovo Y50-70 gaming laptop that I’ve for 4 years. I’ve had to send it in multiple times to the lenovo repair Depo to fix it. WoW runs smoothly at 60 fps at high/good setting at 1080p. I also have a cooling pad to regulate the laptop’s temperature. After multiple fixes by Lenovo, a hard drive replacement and general repair, the problem still persist. I can’t tell if its a software issue, BIOs or a power issue?

This also happened one time while playing GTA V online but it rarely happens in that game.

You can browse the reliability history of some technical info on what is happening behind the scenes of your PC/Laptop if you have windows 10, issues like random restarts, game crashes, browser hangs and all sorts of stuff on a software level to help you figure out at your end it may be something very simple like some old video drivers causing you grief or something more severe, just search “view reliability history” and it will pop right up.

1 Like

Alright, I’ll try that suggestion!

Hi Cyberninja

We should start with a DXDiag report:

The second section of page has DXDiag report instructions - we don’t require the MSinfo report.

That will be a wall of text. If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and put it up on pastebin.com. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion of the link: https://pastebin.com/**Qk28Ed1P**)

I would also like to take a look at a HWMonitor tool readings:

Download HWMonitor here:

Free download is along the left side of page - called “Setup - English”

Open it on desktop - go play for a few minutes fight some mobs then tab out. Take a screenshot of the tool. Scroll down on tool to get the rest of the outputs then take another screenshot.

Upload those to Imgur or a similar site. I use http://postimages.org/

Hi Tratt!

I will try the HW Monitor suggestion as well. Below is the code link to the DxDiag info to start off with. This is Cyberninja.

Here is the code naTSfT4S.

By the way, I don’t remember the command or code to post a “wall of text” as a scroll box within a forum post.

Here are the HWMonitor images from my time in-game.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/28g3utr16/

You are asking about the “code block”. It’s called the “Preformatted Text” icon now. Above the chat box. Looks like this </> paste - right click > select all to highlight everything - click button.

The HWMonitor looks normal for a notebook. No overheating - game is using the Nvidia. Everything seems to be clocking up properly.

The only thing that stands out on the DXDiag is some audio errors and out of date graphics drivers.

The graphics drivers are from 2017. I checked your support page and it looks like Lenovo has 2016 vintage drivers.

Your notebooks support page has a sound driver update you should install. You might also install the Power Management driver they have there.

Audio Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook 6.0.1.8335 14 Jan 2018

Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit & 64-bit) - Notebook 1.5.0.14-20150824 11 Sep 2018

You might try updating the Nvidia as well. It looks like you are using a generic Nvidia driver already as opposed to a manufacturers driver.

I would install those one at a time - test for issues. Create a System Restore point before each install. Type that in Windows search box.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll update those drivers and see if that fixes the issue. I appreciate the assistance!

One other thing Cyberninja. It looks like you have the Windows October update. Windows pushed an update last week that was aimed at Graphics and Mouse issues. Check that you have that installed. If Window’s update tells you “You’re up to Date” ignore that - press the Check for Updates button.

1 Like

It says “you’re up to date” after checking for updates. It could have been automatically installed while my computer was idle? Is there a record that indicates the windows October update was installed?

Also, you mentioned that my computer is using a generic Nvidia driver? I updated the driver using Nvidia experience just now. The device manage displays Nvidia GTX 960m under display adapters (next to Intel® HD Graphics 4600) , which is what it should be right?

Cyberninja
You can check to see if your October update was installed
Update & Security > View Update History

Feature Update
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 (Year-Month)

It doesn’t look like it has been installed. I don’t see a “Windows October Update” in the list when I view Update History. Just a bunch of cumulative updates and a security update under Quality Updates.

Hmm, looks like it has to install previous updates before the feature 1809 becomes available. It took about 10 - 15 updates before it is shown to me about a week ago…
Long tedious work…

Wait a minute. There is “2019-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Verison 1809 for x64 based Systems” which was before the seven updates on the list. It was installed on 3/7/2019 for me.

Yea, that was updated in February.
There were a few initial bugs and they stalled it until recently if I can remember the website for source reference…

Great! then that must be the one. Alright, so I’ve done all of the driver updates and other suggestions. Let’s hope that my computer doesn’t end up shutting off randomly again! I’ll update how it goes in the next few days.

Yep. That’s the one.
You can also see it under Settings > System > About > Under title “Windows Specifications”

1 Like

On the DXDiag you see this:

1. Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release. 180914 -1434)

That would be the most recent big update 2018-09-14. The previous big update was 18-04-04.

Keep testing and let us know Cyberninja

So a quick google search showed that this problem is not unique with this model. Apparently quite a few people have had it. That leads me to believe this is may be a model specific (or even build run specific) BIOS or Power delivery issue. You appear to have the latest BIOS installed and some of the posts I’d seen indicated that fixed the issue. Once you’re done with other steps you can try reflashing the BIOS to see if that fixes the issue, but I’ll be honest and say I’m not optimistic.

Looking at the board it looks like the three phase VRMs should be adequate assuming 50A power stages at 1.4V for both the CPU and GPU. That said if the power stages are overheating they may be triggering their own protection circuits to prevent them from failing (spectacularly).

Does it do the same thing if you are running off the battery?