Antumbra, Shadow of the Cosmos - The sun is evil!

• Caricatures are representations that are negative
  • Doubling down on caricatures in 2022 sucks
  • Turning the Tauren Sun God into WoW Satan specifically and exclusively is invoking the most tedious of colonial religious discourses in history, that of “Actually Natives Worship The Devil”
  • Doing so is racist world building that is entirely unnecessary and mind-bogglingly tedious
  • Especially in the wake of Grimoire’s author “confirming” visibly that Tauren Spiritwalkers don’t enter the veil when they do their ritual + Elune being Elune exclusively and favoring Night Elves above all others (which is Good for Nelf World Building but Bad for Everyone Else).
4 Likes

Be nice if the real zooval/an’she showed up during this robot zooval fight and say something like They sought to chain me and use my power for evil or some such

Fairly confident at this point that the foreshadowing Ion did regarding the “truth” of the Tauren that Cairne was going to tell Baine is that “Actually Yaungol are flesh-corrupted Maw constructs that Zovaal tried to send out”

So Tauren ie NAm Native Allegory Race were going to be children of Satan.

Don’t worry, Zovaal is just a soul split An’she. When the Void lashed out at An’she, it split his soul in two.

DUHHHH

Tauren worship the “Yellow Eye An’she.” :))))

Imgur

9 Likes

You are the only one making this assertion. If Tauren are not actually based on Native culture than why project that on the narrative?

Tauren are not Navajo. Tauren have their own unique myth, it is similar but not the same. The average player doesn’t even know who Tsohanoai is. I think you make good points but to assume that everyone playing this game would be racist is wrong, they probably wouldn’t know if they didn’t have you pointing it out.

7 Likes

Why do we think Zovaal is Anshe again?

Materially false

They are as I’ve already stated

It’s a blizzard cop-out to pretend nobody is being represented by the Monster Races.

It’s incoherent, ridiculous, and dishonest with regards to their self evident world building

Enough

Accolon’s trite theory that Bellular recently amplified

1 Like

Speculation is fun.

2 Likes

I can’t with you people anymore. We can’t even enjoy anything in this franchise without the SF ruining it.

Sol Niger is one of the oldest mythological concepts. I’m sorry if you over simplify it as “The Sun is Satan.” Because that’s a bastardization of myth. I have said it many times, but I will say it again, WoW is not based on Abrahamic or even Pagan faith, it’s based on the Philosophy of Spiritual Alchemy.

7 Likes

Or Blizzard can stop with that ridiculous internal ideology that somehow Humans with Nonwhite Customization and no other similarity beyond the physical are Representation of POC while the Monster Races based on Subaltern Cultures and Western Caricatures Of Those Cultures are not Representation

And just

Do better

A crumb of self awareness, nuance, and narrative balance between the Horde and Alliance and the varied races thereby

4 Likes

Normally I support everything you say, but you need to take a step back on this.

You are creating a racist dialogue where one doesn’t need to exist.

8 Likes

Nope, it exists. Making the Horde centric, specific Tauren centric, counterpart to Elune into WoW Satan (and the likely intent that Tauren were meant to be children of aforementioned WoW Satan as per Ion with the MIA Cairne) is absolutely leaning into the most tedious and ridiculous of racist caricatures

Especially given the overall themes and aesthetics of the guy vs the Tauren

7 Likes

Well, not to state the obvious, but the Story Forum is probably the most analytical and critical about the story and lore, when compared to say, GD, WET, or even the CC section.

Which is fine by me. I like the discussions.

It is undeniable that the Tauren are at least partly inspired by Native American tribes and cultures.

I think Baal makes a point - but it is a larger point, that this is just one example of. The way Horde races are coded as IRL minority groups, and their cultures and beliefs are cast as secondary or just plain wrong, can be a bit off putting.

I don’t get worked up about it, like Baal. But I do notice it, and he makes a point.

16 Likes

Again, you are looking at everything through an Abrahamic religious lens. Yes in Abrahamic religion Satan in evil. But that’s NOT what I’m talking about. You are not as educated on this topic as you think you are, stick to medicine.

I have post secondary education dealing with this. This is my educational background. I’m done being told I don’t know what I’m talking about. Take two seconds and look up Sol Niger. it’s Hermeticism not native American mythology. WoW is not a religious game. It’s focus is the religion of science, and it makes no apologies for it.

7 Likes

On the other hand Nefarian dropped Ashkandi.

2 Likes

I literally have a degree in religion studies and social and cultural analysis.

Black Sun does not overrule nor overpower the racial codification of the Tauren and the manipulation of their in-game myths to fit into a sad, pathetic, ill received attempt at a Luciferian mythos that completely fell apart.

Turning the Horde centric Solar diety centered upon the Tauren that was presented as the balanced counterpart to Elune into this pathetic Diet Sauron Lucifer Thanos is a trite, banal, racist storyline no matter which way you cut it because it reinforces the ongoing issue of Horde Evil through the LITERAL demonization of a Horde Tauren solar diety.

You cannot recklessly handwaved away racial codification because you like Black Sun motifs

Your racial analysis hermeneutic sucks

2 Likes

You are so close minded Baal (Goat of Babylon) you don’t even understand you take the devil as your identifier. Sitting here lecturing people on the Abrahamic devil.

Get over yourself.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: that’s the best you got? Lmao

Oh no, please don’t fight.

6 Likes

This is one topic that makes me incredibly mad. I’m going to walk away before I lose friends.

I’m seething rn.

The one time that all of my speculations finally pay off, only to have people crap on it. I’m done. I didn’t write this narrative, I just followed the bread crumbs.

6 Likes