Antumbra, Shadow of the Cosmos - The sun is evil!

Antumbra is a dagger that drops from Rygelon, the Constellar boss in the Sepulcher. An antumbra is an astronomical term concerning the sun’s part in a solar eclipse. This raid involves Zovaal trying to harm Azeroth, and there have been some theories connecting Zovaal to the sun. It’s possible that Rygelon had been assigned to the sun, and might be helping Zovaal due to a sense of duty. This might have some interesting implications regarding An’she.

6 Likes

I knew it!! There were hints setting up An’she to be evil.

I may have been wrong that Zorvaal is An’she but the lore that connected the dots was legit.

This theory was mine and mine alone. It was my baby. My baby has legs.

What? That its only the Horde races that really acknowledge them? Getting so tired of Blizzard swinging the villain bat at everything Horde related.

11 Likes

An’she was corrupted by the Old Gods, they corrupted his heart.

He’s likely going to be a raid boss in a new Old God related expansion (possibly the Light vs Void expansion)

1 Like

Guess its up to the Alliance to save another Horde God.

No, wait… Void Elves don’t actually do anything with the Void, I forgot. You guys are on your own this time.

1 Like

Somewhat related, but from what I see ingame at this moment, it looks like the sun rises in the northwest.

1 Like

No this should be a Horde central thing lead by the Tauren. It should be the Tauren who save their own God.

5 Likes

Stonetalon Mountains is where “the Sun sleeps”. I love that they made that lore relevant with where the sun rises as viewed from Thunder Bluff. The Tauren lore has long speculated there is actually “something powerful” inside Stonetalon Mountains, it’s possibly where the Earthmorther or An’she live, or lay dormant.

If anyone deserves a “big win” over the Old Gods, it’s the descendants of the Shu’halo.

13 Likes

Stonetalon Mountains is northwest of Mulgore, good catch. In Thunder Bluff, the Spirit Rise is in the northwest too.

3 Likes

Tauren myth is based on Egyptian myth. An’she = Shu the primordial God of the Air who became the Sun God after the death of Ra, Shu was bitten by the serpent Apophis and also died, he went on to rule the Underworld. Later versions of this myth split him up to be either Osiris or Set, or in the 18th dynasty he was merged into a new myth of Horus-Set.

The Grimoire of the Shadowlands Tauren page has some hints to this, that’s why I was able to speculate that An’she was related to Death in some way and I thought just due to some similarities that An’she was Zorvaal. Zorvaal in occult terms is the “Dark Sun” ie, The ruler of the Underworld.

Zorvaal is described as giving off an unnatural ‘heat’ plus he has a hole in his chest which is similar to where the Void struck An’she in battle.

Just because the Sun is “evil” doesn’t mean that he can’t be saved. He’s just missing his heart, or his heart has become corrupted. But the Tauren and the Horde, and Elune and the Night Elves can save him.

All this Light and Shadow makes me think Light vs Void expansion is coming soon. The Sun casts a large shadow.

7 Likes

If they “waste” An’she on being Zovaal, I’m going to be a very sad panda. :frowning:

10 Likes

I’m so tired

8 Likes

It’s just not possible, right?

Tauren Paladins and Priest wouldn’t exist if Zovaal had been An’she? Where would their power come from…

My take

• Zovaal was meant to be anshe
  • Zovaal is no longer meant to be anshe because it’s racist as all hell and another Horde villain bat
  • Anshe is maybe coming next xpac
  • SOME devs are feeling spiteful about this shift because they retain contempt for the player base intervening in their galaxy brained ideas and so we have to endure this nonsense

At a certain point this stuff feels spiteful and malicious

8 Likes

Those seems like primary drivers for Blizzards lore and philosophy these days.

17 Likes

I don’t know if this is spiteful, or just incompetence.

I can see the hints too it? Maybe? I just don’t want it to be true because I think it’s just incredibly bad story telling.

Looking (probably too much into it) at the Mage Tower Mount and the new Cosmic Map, it seems like they wanted to tell this Elune (Mu’sha) vs Zovaal (An’she) story, but just failed miserably.

Imgur
Imgur

Imagine the Arbiter was replaced with Zovaal (An’she) and Life showed Elune (Mu’sha).

This epic conflict of a fallen An’she, with the Light and Order (Sargeras) by his side vs Mu’sha, with her connections to the Shadow and her conflicting personalities of Disorder.

I hope that it’s grasping at straws, cause this is not a well thought out story…

The Light, Zorvaal sought out powerful Light wielders to be Lich Kings.

The more I speculate and think story beats are cool and original, the more I get upset with story forum for being so close minded and prone to hating everything WoW writers could ever come up with… anyway, I thought it was a cool speculation, and it got me really hyped for the future of this franchise, but I’m in the minority.

As someone who is part Native American (Blackfoot/Cree and Algonquin) I don’t find An’she being Zorvaal racist at all. Tauren are a caricature of Native American culture to begin with, there’s no Native American myth saying the Sun can’t be evil.

5 Likes

I don’t hate the idea of a Zovaal being An’she, just not THIS Zovaal. He was just not given the time to develop.

Zovaal (and the Shadowlands) was rushed, if he ends up being An’she, that too would be rushed and basically removed from the story to potentially be built up into something better.

Zovaal (An’she) also being a humanoid robot also really dampers that story arc…

15 Likes

I agree with that, I think everything that comes out of this rushed unfinished expansion isn’t going to be the full scale of what was possible if they had the time and without the setbacks.