Annons blocked since this week's reset

I am experiencing a number of addons reporting as blocked by the game: plater, weakauras, etc.

This all started with the weekly reset.

Anyone else?

2 Likes

Try downloading a fresh copy of each addon. Full UI reset wouldnt hurt either

6 Likes

Addons only get “blocked” for being out of date, and the game’s version didn’t change (TOC 100107). If addons are out of date, they either need to be updated if an update is available, or if not, you can test them by loading out of date addons, and if they work update the TOC files manually.

Altoholic in particular is only updated for 10.1. But on their discord they have new files posted that make it work with 10.1.7 (though you have to edit the TOC files if you don’t want to load outdated addons). I recommend the UI and Macro forum if you need more information.

2 Likes

Turns out it is a bug in the client they introduced trying to fix another bug.

Will wait for them to patch the client.

3 Likes

How addons interact with the game is not a bug. If add-ons are experiencing issues, then the add-on author needs to find out what is causing it, and adapt their add-on.

The client is never going to be patched to allow add-ons. Add-ons must function within the LUA sandbox that Blizzard controls. If your issue is the “This add-on has been blocked…” pop-ups, then the add-on author needs to change their add-on to not attempt to access protected code.

A lot of this stems from the UI improvements for this expansion, so add-on authors need to adapt to those changes.

7 Likes

It’s not a bug in the client, it’s something on your end. I have had zero issues with my addons, and I use a lot, over the last several patches, or even right now. I suggest going to the UI and Macro forum and posting the exact issue you are having, then possibly someone can help you.

Definitely going to need some more detail though. From the info you’ve provided, all I’ve got is “you aren’t doing something right, but I don’t have enough information to know what”.

1 Like

The bug introduced with the ClearTarget fix seems to be ongoing.

6 Likes

How does it feel to be 100% wrong? Annons blocked since this week's reset - #7 by Fizzlemizz-azjolnerub

2 Likes

Community speculation does not make someone “100% wrong”. That’s the entire point. The add-on community needs to figure it out, if they want their add-ons to function properly.

The “blocked” add-ons are happening because Blizzard changed many things about the UI in this expansion. Blizzard does not make changes to allow add-ons to work 100% of the time, with no input from the author. Blizzard makes changes, and the add-ons must be adapted.

I mean, the other option is to just take away the LUA sandbox and force everyone to use their stock UI.

Same goes for your opinion

2 Likes

I mean, no, that isn’t even what this topic is about. You also clearly didn’t read the quoted post when replying. There is a known defect that Blizzard introduced with their hotfixes to the LUA API when they made the change to “fix” the PvP-related macros which allowed so-called “smart” interrupt capability. See Fizzle’s link above.

2 Likes

Read Fizzlemizz’s link, and learn. It’ll do you good.

2 Likes

Well theres a wealth of misinformation. Because the popups are saying that an action has been blocked by an addon, and it happens when near a mailbox, or in Valdrak only. I have had the popup trigger saying this action was blocked with these addons constantly, Button Forge,Hekili, Map Coords, Pawn, SexyMap, TomTom, and more, these popup separately after ignoring the first one. When i switch characters, the order of them changes.

So it is 100% a bug on Blizz’s end.

2 Likes

the “addon blocked” error message is down to user code attempting to call a protected function (instant block), or changing a variable and tainting it so that when blizzards secure code tries to access that same variable it cant because you’ve tainted it.

now blizzard is entitled to protect anything they want and addon authors do have to work around that as you mentioned, but this isnt about something that has been newly protected, this are basic code constructs, like a for loop, that is triggering taint/blocks.

theres no way that blizzard meant to protect the for loop, or any of the other basic code bits that are triggering taint and blocks, so its a bug.

we cant work around it, and only blizzard can fix it. if you understood how blizzards code/execution protection, and taint, worked, you would understand why this is a bug.

3 Likes

Okay that’s useful. Sounds like they’re getting onto it.

I’ve also had it happen when trying to hearth at the end of a M+ or after fishing. Fortunately, for this toon I just port now.

Okay, this answers my other question. Thanks.

Last build 51754 has fixed it for me

1 Like