Anduin with PTSD. What am I missing?

Yeah admittedly there’s still modern day slavery, though I would tie that to prisoners who work for either nothing or pennies. (Not to say that wage theft isn’t an issue, since it’s more prevalent than any other type of theft by far)

I think Eric Williams simply focused on the rise and fall of chattel slavery among western countries, though I haven’t read him extensively to know what he thinks about these new forms slavery has taken besides his general attitudes towards Capitalism (in that it’s bad, obviously).

The problem with capitalism is not that it’s inherently evil, it isn’t. It’s that without external restraint, it incentivises improper behavior for short term gain and evil behavior for long term gain.

It’s why the downfall of Toys R Us was engineered for quick profit and why American companies fled the now Rust Belt in search of cheap labor in slave halls like Foxconn. (which is one of the ways Apple became a multi-trillion dollar company) It’s why the banks essentially told Levis, you shut down your American plants and relocate your manufacturing to Asia or we cut you off.

When bad behavior is rewarded and incentivised, it’s what you ultimately get. Including practises which in all the ways that matter are no different than 19th century chattel slavery.

1 Like

Jim Crow Laws were not a product of capitalism or directly connected to it.

There is nothing in history that happens without an economic component and/or motivation.

2 Likes

Not all economics is capitalism. And that doesn’t prove me wrong about Jim Crow Laws not being a product of capitalism. Out of curiosity, what economic component was there to the implementation of the Jim Crow Laws?

Jim Crow Laws go against capitalism in several ways, such as;

1. Needing twice as many facilities to maintain segregation, so unnecessary added cost.
  2. Extra cost of fencing and signage.
  3. It discouraged initiative and innovation from black people (only color true capitalism sees is whatever color the accepted coins and bills are).

It inhibited the growth of black businesses. The climate it engendered led to the burring and bombing of Black Wall Street and the attendant massacre of 300 people.

5 Likes

I see. Those effects, while horrible, aren’t capitalism’s fault. If anything, keeping black people from participating in capitalism/following traits of anti-capitalism led to that.

They were participating. What led to the riots was the fact that they were winning. Capitalism is a game of winners and losers, and these folks were very upset that they were losing… to black people of all others.

The greatest lessons of Hegel and Marx are that if you want an answer to anything, it does all come down to “Follow The Money”.

2 Likes

The fact still remains that you can’t blame capitalism for the Jim Crow Laws.

Hegel and Marx had a few things in common but ultimately very different ideas and views (“Follow the money” was a 1970’s quote inspired by the Watergate scandal, little bit after their time).

Hegel and Marx were the first sociologists to point out that every event in history had economic drivers behind it. Charlemagne converted pagans who had money, The players in the First World War had material gains in mind. Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor wa in response to the ecnomic warfare America was practising in the Far East.

It’s “Follow the Money” in different verbiage, different stages and actors, the same play.

One could argue that the incentivization of these behaviors will inevitably lead to said behaviors, even with said external restraint due to the eventual corruption and deterioration of the restraint.

Overall I agree with you that it’s not inherently evil, mostly because it’s a system and quibbling about the morality of it means little (which is in part why Marx himself moved away from moralizing and philosophy of Capitalism and instead focusing on scientific observations of it), but most people who share my political views would say that doesn’t really mean much on whether it’s bad.

To return to the point of the thread, and in a funny topic pivot, I don’t see what’s causing your seeming confusion about the whole PTSD thing. You seem to readily recognize where Anduin’s PTSD comes from story-wise, but you just don’t think it’s a big deal and he shouldn’t feel the way he does about all of it.

At the end of the day, regardless of the things he was actually forced to do, he lost complete bodily autonomy in a specifically cruel way that’s incredibly difficult for most if not all of us to really even conceptualize. It’s not shocking that he’d feel some type of way about this. When you add in the fact that he was forced to betray his own ideals, and he further wasn’t allowed even the sanctity of his own mind (due to not being sure if the feelings of exhilaration he felt while doing the things he would normally abhor were his own or not), I find it easy to see why a character who’s entire existence has been largely predicated on faith to be as troubled as he has been.

2 Likes

That’s not my point at all. I’ve actually contested the assessement of the people who’ve made that argument.

I was referring to the OP, apologies for not being clear.

Yeahhh, I gotta say you definitely have no empathy or have ever had or know anyone with war based ptsd, the insensitivity and sheer disrespect to people with mental disorders is why I will be reporting this post and you.

2 Likes

Do it! Dooooo it!

1. generates work for construction
  2. ditto for fencing and signage
  3. again while they may say one thing … most capitalists are in favor of anything that eldiminates competition. Black Wall Street was burned over envy of it’ success. Capitalism enocourages a dog eat dog mentatlity and an adversarial climate.
2 Likes

George Washington was slave-owning scum. Only brainwashed Americans believe otherwise. But he didn’t give America as a colony to a foreign power.

Colonialism is not limited to planting your flag on someone else’s territory. If you exert military, financial, political power or a combination of any or all to exert influence over another nation’s affairs, such as overthrowing a govenment in order to establish one more favorable to your politics, or more often, your coroporations, then the United States has leveraged colonial muscle over the bulk of the entire Western Hemisphere south of Texas.

The textbook example of United Fruit and it’s Latin American operations are where the term “Banana Republic” comes from.

Yeah?

That’s literally what I was saying in my original post, why respond to me as if I was disagreeing with that?

It was Tiffany who was implying that wasn’t colonialism, I was arguing that it was.

That post was also from 8 days ago, if you’re going to respond to someone that far back why respond to the person who you agree with and frame it like you’re arguing against me? Lol

If anything I said that America comparatively didn’t partake in as much colonialism as Europe. Which isn’t saying much because Europe’s colonialist efforts literally spanned every corner of the world. The United States still has and continues to take part in colonialism at a massive scale.

:point_up::nerd_face:

Do you have, like… a problem with me or something?

This is either the third or fourth time you’ve quoted something I’ve said way earlier in a thread and tried ‘correcting’ me on it… even though… like… most of the time it seems like you agree with me? Or just add random history facts that are only tangentially related.

King Kamehameha V did not give Hawaii to a foreign power. He died leaving his government in a state of chaos.