And that kids is why sharding is unacceptable

No but guys, it will be only the first few months.

Kappa 1 2 3
11/07/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Raggnnar
I don't mind general mob competition. But I feel like waiting for hours upon hours to hopefully get a npc that spawns like every 10-15minutes right clicked in time while 1-200 or more ppl wait for said npc is just ridic.
So go do some other quests if that area is too busy. Vanilla wasn't like retail at all, where there's one main quest line that you must follow to complete the zone.
4 Likes
11/08/2018 12:28 AMPosted by Aranhod
So go do some other quests if that area is too busy. Vanilla wasn't like retail at all, where there's one main quest line that you must follow to complete the zone.

Can always go to another part of the zone and grind, at the same time farming for drops.
1 Like
Low level areas will be ruined with this kind of stuff happening... It's sad news. If Durotar is sharded, OK, but can we not shard Barrens please? :(

At the very least, maybe I'll enjoy my second character after the initial launch sharding is over.
(AS PROMISED, HOLDING YOU TO THAT BLIZZARD!!!!)

11/08/2018 12:27 AMPosted by Seijuron
Kappa 1 2 3

PepePls
It’s insane that you people still think sharding is going to last forever...

Mindless sheep following a mob mentality with no ounce of ability to think.

HATE SHARDING!!
Why?
JUST HATE IT!!
Okay!

This is 99% of the forum right now and blizzard knows it.
11/08/2018 12:40 AMPosted by Hatchmark

HATE SHARDING!!
Why?
JUST HATE IT!!
Okay!

Even having it for a short time could be bad. Blizzard is using it as a last resort for a reason.

HATE SHARDING!!
Why?
JUST HATE IT!!
Okay!

What. Are you for real, can you not read, are you illiterate? people have explained why sharding is bad idea.
2 Likes
11/08/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Suwayyah

HATE SHARDING!!
Why?
JUST HATE IT!!
Okay!

What. Are you for real, can you not read, are you illiterate? people have explained why sharding is bad idea.
the reasons are moronic because no one seems to understand how blizzard wants to launch the servers
I'm pretty sure they were all stealthed and just broke their invisibility at the same time, in the exact moment he joined the group. You guys are just paranoid.
That is why retail sucks for pvp folks, I want to fight people at haala, there is no one there even if I check who list that shows people are there, there is no one there.
I've even been sharded outside of a group that I was in out doors.

Create a 40 man raid you can only see 2 people while there are another 13 people who can't see the rest of the group and 25 who are all on the same sharded area.
3 Likes

I think Blizz has said in the past that they want to do things temporarily or only for a few sections. I think it's wise to remember that at times it wasn't true at all...
So I take it that people think what was illustrated by the demo is impossible to improve?

What about sharding being set to 1000 players per shard? Would you ever see it? What about 500 or 250?

Generically claiming sharding is bad is defeatism. (The system will fail no matter what simply because you want it to fail)
I don't mind general mob competition. But I feel like waiting for hours upon hours to hopefully get a npc that spawns like every 10-15minutes right clicked in time while 1-200 or more ppl wait for said npc is just ridic.
That's not what you do. You get a group of five players and you play together through quest chains. If you go the westfall route whether there's a lot of people or not, it's not a good idea to do those quests alone.

Now on Nost you had groups waiting for groups waiting for groups which is what you'll have on a mega server. Blizzard seems to be going this route with sharding in mind which is a bad idea. If they were to cap servers at 3.5k - 4.5k and plan for a declining pop they could have painless mergers in the future. They could have unique names and guild names for all of Classic, or they could use surnames. They could name servers, as someone already suggested, with names such as Blue1, Blue2 and so on.

Creating mega servers with the presumption that populations will decline is just dumb. You can't know. Some servers may and some may not. There were some Vanilla servers that maintained a high pop all the way through WOD. There were others that nearly died out in the first year.

If you're on a mega server that uses sharding to combat congestion and that server maintains its population, sharding will be constant and everywhere. If you're on a mega server that uses sharding and your population steadily declines, you'll eventually be playing on a dead server. What then? CRZ? What is their plan for that? They haven't said have they.
1 Like
HATE SHARDING!!
Why?
JUST HATE IT!!
Okay!

can you point me to a citation that supports this?
11/08/2018 05:15 AMPosted by Falnear
HATE SHARDING!!
Why?
JUST HATE IT!!
Okay!

can you point me to a citation that supports this?
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814264/

(The poster even said as much in the post)
11/07/2018 11:27 PMPosted by Eilethalua
I do agree that this is a big problem if sharding is used at any time beyond the first days of launch in the 6 starting zones.

As I mentioned in another thread, there's a variety of places where Blizzard is likely to suddenly decide sharding is needed:
- AQ event in Silithus
- at any time in the primary capital cities (Org and IF)
- in places like Blackrock Mountain when a dozen raid groups show up flagged and an all out brawl starts
- TM/SS, Crossroads, Sentinel Hill, any capital city raid
- any player created event, whether a dueling tournament or a running of the gnomes/bulls/zombies

This, this, this. This! We've been inundated with stupid cries about slippery slopes, but this one is real! It's a real !@#$%^- slippery slope Blizzard can actually slide down!
1 Like
Sharding wasn't a thing in vanilla not because the devs weren't smart enough to think of such a technique for lag reduction. It wasn't in vanilla because the devs didn't even consider it, because its so obvious the massive negative impacts it can have on the community and by proxy the game as a whole.

Sharding is like a highly addictive drug, once blizzard got a taste they couldn't quit, regardless of the impact it has on everyone else. And now they want to bring their addiction into classic wow.

No sharding in the starting zones. No sharding at all. Having it as an option for times when lots of players are around is exactly the problem in the first place. Starting zones are not the only place where lots of people come together in the same spot.
3 Likes
Good thing this zone won't be sharded at release!
Sharding must not be added to the game. Blizzard will if we let them. They've already said that it's something they know we don't want, but of course they know better. Greater schemes and all. They've got shills here everyday trying to warm us up to the idea of it. Say NO, and loudly.
4 Likes

I get competing, don't get me wrong, but the word is being used in a different stance.

I got 6 toons to level 5 on launch day on Northdale.
Peaked at 12K. Wasn't waiting hours upon hours either.

Do you have some basis for your claim of waiting hours upon hours for one NPC ?