And still, flight points frequently make no sense

So I’m on my Alliance character flying north in Kalimdor for the race. I’m trying to get to Azshara from Ratchet. And this is the flight path I am offered:

Imgur

So rather than fly directly north to Forest Song and then to the most northern flight point, I am required to take a mad dogleg left to Astranaar. In what world does this make sense? And it happens frequently.

I could have hearthed back and used the Mt Hyjal portal but it probably would have taken as long as flying there. So no, I’ll just fly myself there, thanks Blizz. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

blame orcish anti-aircraft ballistas.

6 Likes

not gonna lie, that is a pretty mad dodge left.

Is there a reason you can’t just mount up and fly yourself “old-style” directly?

2 Likes

because technically…the flight paths fly at 510% speed.

1 Like

And that is exactly why I very rarely use flight paths lmao

1 Like

I dunno…because…flight paths are there to use, maybe???

Sorry to find something annoying, I know I should be happy about everything in the game, right??? :grinning:

1 Like

This is wildly inconsistent and varies by individual path and also even continent. Direct manual flying can still be faster in a lot of cases.

I wish they’d bring back that 25% flight path speed bonus that guild perks used to grant. It made flight paths feel “right”.

1 Like

the flight path itself does fly at that speed. the reason flying can be faster is because it doesn’t take a direct route to the destination all the time. in fact most of the flight paths are not direct and involve a lot of turns.

Sorry but this just isn’t correct nor consistent. Get any addon that can track your flight speed and watch it fluctuate. It’s been like this since the Cata revamp.

1 Like

When it was announced it was being removed, they said it would be baked into the base flight path speed.

But people clocked the flight paths before and after. Blizzard lied.

2 Likes

that’s odd. i remember a blue post stating it flies at 510% flight speed. it was in a discussion about master flying and how fast it was compared to flight paths.

That was probably back when the guild perk still existed. The FP I’m on right now from Jade Forest to Isle of Giants is sitting around ~430% speed.

1 Like

Yeah I actually don’t remember them saying that at all. I just recall being upset that all my InFlight timers were going to be lying to me until I took certain paths again. :joy:

Nah, just that when flight paths were connected years ago, they just sent you from one to the next without much thought about how out of left field the choices were. I wouldn’t expect them to change that after all these years. I thought maybe you had to make dinner or something so you were using the old taxis versus Point A > Point B self flight.

1 Like

The Ogrimmar No-Fly zone is in full effect.

They need to give players an option to use these nodes as teleports.

1 Like

Astranaar is the Atlanta of Kalimdor.

2 Likes

It’s what they programmed. There was never a programmed path straight there, so the system has to find ways to fly you with the prep programmed paths.

The map the OP shared looks like you could overlay it in the Southeastern US and get a routing from Miami to Atlanta to Charlotte to Raleigh.

1 Like