An Eye on Player Behavior and Reporting Improvements

This.

I stopped talking in Public Chat Channels LONG before this Social Contract came into play.

It’s another reason I play Solo and Guildless.

Little bit of advice. There are 360 degrees in a circle. Half of a circle is 180 degrees. I hope that helps.

2 Likes

It was bait. You took it.

1 Like

Yeah it was an old joke about the xbox 360 that i still use all the time. Edit: because I’m old now I guess.

1 Like

When players are given more power to ban others based upon their feelings, reporting systems become abused. The great reckoning is nearly upon us. Delete your in-game chats now before you make a mistake in game based upon your own feelings and risk being banned by others. Don’t slip up and lose all of those years you invested into WoW just because you hurt someone else’s.

2 Likes

I’m not even white and I reflexively roll my eyes at comments like these.

What. Are you talking. About.

If we all know what these words are, why not just publish the list and have a hard and fast rule that you can’t use these banned words/terms/phrases? Why not just eliminate any ambiguity “may offend” entails? Notice that when you’re driving, the speed limit signs don’t say “don’t drive too fast.” They explicitly tell you that if you go past a certain speed you’re breaking the law and are subject to getting a ticket. We don’t want traffic cops enforcing their arbitrary individual notions of fastness on us, so why do we want to allow individual CS reps to enforce their individual notions of offense?

2 Likes

Um…wow.
I’ve never reported anyone for foul language. I have the filter on so the little children who can’t control themselves by typing obscenities, breaking the rules just look very very silly.
But your obnoxious attitude about this topic kind of makes me want to report people who have no consideration for others and for the agreement they signed.

1 Like

I feel like the term “Social Contract” is what bothers me the most here, what is this “Social Contract” covering that the ToS doesn’t. Also this “Just the start” like what’s next? What sort of topics are you looking to police? I don’t like F bombs being dropped anymore than the next adult and maybe it’s just the wording but it does make me perk up in apprehensive curiosity. Is this going to be used to protect Role Players who get harassed by people throwing down loads of toys or those eye burning biolumincent fish?

• language and player creativity constantly evolves
  • there is no way a list could cover everything that is considered profanity, hateful, racist, etc.
  • people try to rules lawyer and argue their way out of things

At the end of the day it is Blizzard’s house and Blizzard’s rule and the GMs need to be able to make their decisions. They don’t give us a list of all the bot programs that you can be banned for either… heh

3 Likes

Wow, so players are going to get reported and risk being banned for typing symbols in the place of words where you don’t even know what words they are replacing for symbols are in the first place. This is insane. :exploding_head:

1 Like

oh stop. you know perfectly well from context what the words are intended to be.

7 Likes

Yes. That has been the rule since 2004.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041217101250/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.shtml

• (i) Transmit or post sexually explicit images or other content or language which in the sole discretion of Blizzard Entertainment is deemed to be offensive; nor shall you transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable content or language, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above; :point_left:
5 Likes

Would be funny if we had to take a multiple choice question exam first. lol

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what the context is to a player in the game or a system. All that matters is if it breaks ToS or not and according to the CC member all it takes to validate a ban is if they use symbols in place of words.

1 Like

And now public chat is where almost nobody will be chatting for fear of being false-reported

They might as well just delete those channels at this point

6 Likes

people talk in public chat? I thought it was just boosters advertising

2 Likes

This is a very legitimate concern. It was a big problem in New World at launch when the PvP was hottest. Maybe it is best to take chat to discord and just not type in game.

2 Likes

Ive already given the psa out but i will do so again for new people.

Psa! Disable all chat including whispers and /say. Turn off all chat channels and use only discord or any non blizzard affiliated chat systems. Its not worth losing your account.

2 Likes

You’re exaggerating.
Just normal polite discourse isn’t going to be sanctioned. Don’t be a jerk and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes