AMD's CES presentation in 25 minutes

https://youtu.be/sxTjfX9v8M0

Starts at 11am EST, probably some new products to announce like 5000 series thread ripper, 128 cores thread ripper maybe?

Stores getting stock that doesn’t sell out in 5 secs.

Maybe we get some “midrange” GPUs?

Reality is none of the 6000 series are below $700

It’s happening!

(posted in the wrong thread originally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25b4iMZEaw

Well that was anticlimactic.

It’s basically Intel’s move now, still.

1 Like

You’re back! I guess I can retire now. It has been an honor and a privilege being the Dread Pirate Roberts of the forums while You were gone.

I am so utterly confused.

1 Like

Hey Old Wolf … I haven’t posted since early November. I logged on and saw old You was back (appears to have race changed - but you can tell by the higher post count). Happy to see that your hiatus was short lived! :slightly_smiling_face:

I completely missed this presentation. Is it worth watching?

eh, not really. nothing new.

From Ryzen: New Laptops with Zen 3, Vague promises of more desktop CPUs and GPUs, patting themselves on the back for saving the world during covid.

From Nvidia: RTX 3060 12gb $329 late Feb - probably just a myth in reality.

I am too? Apparently there has been an imposter while I was away? Like don’t get me wrong I was never unsubbed, but I was literally grinding the fel out of 8.3 before they removed essences and such

You just had a big fan

1 Like

I watched the Nvidia presentation live while I was having lunch, I guess I’ll skip the AMD one if that’s the case.

I’m still inclined to stick with my 2070/3600 for a while longer and probably upgrade next generation. Is the 3060/3060ti targeted for 1080/60 or will they push 1440/144? I was thinking that if I did end up upgrading I would need a 3070 or 3080 for it to be worthwhile at 1440/144.

I guess so

I was trying to get Azeroths champion before the inevitable

And I’m still bitter over it because I had one last thing to get and the dang rank 4 essence, which was the nazjatar bodyguards, I literally had 1 day away of getting all of them rank 30 and i was off by one freaking day

Seems a higher end 1080p card is about right, yeah.

Even if it was releasing tomorrow no one will be able to get it anyways

1 Like

I was lucky enough to grab a 3080 at MSRP before the price hikes

Oh you grabbed a rtx 3080 now? How’s it like being rare to have one? I heard that the 2000 series still get better fps vs the 3000s because drivers

Speaking of rare cards, I was checking ebay today to see what the prices where for my 5700xt red devil and sapphire, they are like $800-$900 brand new

Mid-December. I am on the ASUS 3080 TUF OC that I got for $749 off Amazon.

I also got a Gigabyte 3070 Aorus Master for my friend from newegg for $599.

As far as FPS being better on 2000 series cards in WoW - I can’t really tell for sure. I came off a 5700XT and the performance here is much better than that card. Although right now the issue is the flicker. I can’t run at higher render resolutions than 100% or MSAA or else the flicker goes nuts. And I won’t rollback drivers because I play mostly new games.

In other games (what I play mostly these days…WoW is backburner and I only resubbed because of some game time cards my sister got me) it’s immensely superior. CP2077 at 1440p Ultra Ray Tracing was really a treat. Other games like FF14 seems to really prefer Nvidia cards, and with GShade and several filters, where the 5700xt would struggle to maintain 80fps, i’m at my vsync cap of 144 without a sweat. Of course that game still has the same issues WoW does - that is sometimes in certain places it’s all CPU limited.

The 5700XT is now in my wife’s system. She has no complaints. Ran CP2077 high settings at 1080p at around 100fps. Also playing AC Valhalla on it - that game seems to favor AMD cards. The 5700XT performs on par with a 2080ti in that game somehow.

And yeah, GPU prices are INSANE right now.

Thats good, grabbed a card that would have been sent straight to scalpers or miners

The only thing I did buy last year, somewhere around July/August was a new case

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Motherboard/dp/B00FFJ0H3Q

Unusual shape for a case but this is so so good for managing parts around

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749338020565483613/798684773601116181/MVIMG_20200626_231916.jpg

The fact that the motherboard is on a removable tray was an instant buy for me

1 Like

It was between the 3080 or the 6800XT; unfortunately AMD had even worse supply, and their pricing was stupid.

6800 pricing was more in line with 3080 (~$700-800), and 6800XT ($800-900) was all by itself.

It’s only now with the tariffs and price hikes that 3000 series puts the 3070~6800 and 3080~6800xt, that is if those cards aren’t also hit by the tariffs (shouldn’t they?)

Anyhow, that is a pretty cool little set up. Reminds me a bit of the Blaster or Soundwave Transformers

https://i.imgur.com/tTurTGg.jpg

Still on the 8700k, but upgraded from the S340 to a Corsair 275R Airflow edition and some DEEPCOOL RGB fans for blang blang.

If a 5800x opportunity arises on me during a moment of weakness…maybe. Or maybe I wait to overpay for 14nm++++++++++ 11th gen intel. Who knows??