AMD Sets Announcement Dates: 10/8 & 10/28

A new era of leadership performance across computing and graphics is coming. Join us on October 8 and October 28 to learn more about the big things on the horizon for PC gaming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ipirjt/a_new_era_of_leadership_performance_across/

Zen 3 announcement on 10/8 and RDNA2 on 10/28.

I wish we didn’t have to wait until 10/28 to find out about the new GPUs, but at least we know when it’s coming. As much as I want the 3080, I wasn’t planning to buy anything soon.

2 Likes

Hear ye, hear ye! On this day we announce another day that will announce another day when you can purchase this product. That is all, you may resume your lives. :laughing:

3 Likes

I am going to just wait for both GPUs to launch and upgrade my cooling/platform first.

If 4000 seems like a reasonable upgrade over my 8700k, i’ll consider it. If big navi seems like a solid alternative to the 3070/3080, i’ll consider it.

1 Like

woo 10 core 4xxx here i come. GPU date is way to far out for my impatient butt so hello 3080.

If it’s solid I’ll grab the 12 core 3900x replacement. And then shift stuff down the line, and retire that dumb i3 i stupidly bought.

12 core is also tempting. I’m mainly looking at the rumored IPC gains with zen 3. It’s its a good improvement over zen 2 ima jump on it.

It’s absolutely excess for my uses, but I just want it.

2 Likes

Thoughts on the 8700k performance in WoW vs the Ryzen chips? I watched a youtube video on the tests and unsurprisingly the 8700k with the faster core speed came out on top as one of the best cpu options, including the high-end ryzen 3 series chips. Since WoW is really the only game i play, I wonder if (for a reasonable price) Ryzen will release a cpu that WoW will be able to really take advantage of. I currently use an 8700k, OC’d to 4.8 ghz

1 Like

A 5ghz 8700k is still one of the best gaming chips you can have. If you can clock your 8700k to the same as any of the 10600k tests, your performance will be virtually identical. That said, the 10600k is almost the same as a 10900k and both almost always beat any of the 3rd gen Ryzen chips.

6th gen through 10th gen is the same IPC; the only potential differences in same-same frequency performance is due to built in microcode updates for spectre/meltdown that the 9th and 10th gen chips have.

Thermally, 10th gen is superior due to the revised PCB and soldering, and revised ++ processes allow for them to reach higher clocks than older chips.

So basically just look at 10600k results and there’s your 8700k.

I highly doubt the Ryzen 4000 series will be HUGE gains over the Intel chips, partly because they still suffer from core-core latency issues (although 4th gen should improve this), but unless there’s a 20% or more gaming uplift over my present CPU, or we discover PCIE3 isn’t enough, I probably won’t upgrade.

I just upgraded my platform - that is I’m going with a better case, better CPU cooler, and better fan configuration. It will work for my 8700k, and even if i need to, i can carry it over to another system.

1 Like

I’ve seen your other recent posts Sal, and if I was a betting gal I would lay odds on there being a new rig in your future. You’ve got the upgrade itch! :slight_smile: :wink:

hoping the new case solves the tinkering compulsion for the most part.

we’ll see

If I were a betting man… I would put rent money on AMD trying to leverage PCIe 4. Not saying they will or won’t succeed… But it will be their goal. If they can leverage the difference, then that could make up for a… What? 20% overall possible performance differential?

I am not great with the conversion of PCI speed to performance.

Unless rtx/io (or other similar technologies) becomes mainstream I don’t see pcie4 being an issue with current gpus -although amd may be using pcie4 in there architecture for graphics cards differently than Nvidia.

Hardware unboxed did a pcie3 vs 4 with a 5700xt and there were gains, albeit small

1 Like

I still think that the biggest problem with the 5700’s was in the GCN augmenting. And I hope that with 6k series cards being full RDNA won’t have the same issues.

Steve has become a bit of an AMD fan boy. He went with an AMD 3950 test rig when virtually everyone else uses an Intel 10900k. He’s taking a cue from another Steve (tech jesus) where he is looking to find a niche to go after in order to attract web views. That’s not to say Hardware Unboxed/techspot does not do a good job in reviews but rather one should look at several professional review sites in order to understand pros and cons.

1 Like

8700k came out just shy of three years ago. In terms of real world gaming performance, there really hasn’t been much improvement especially when you factor in OC. Obliviously if you run benchmarks you see 2-5% in gaming performance increase in current series at stock speeds in i7-9700, i7-10700 but you wont see that to the naked eye. This is one of reasons I always say don’t wait for “future tech” when you need something now. Because there is always something new coming around the corner but the real world performance difference may not matter that much.

1 Like

Oh yes, I agree. Remember my thread about how they admitted to being wrong about the 1600 lol. But even in that thread, although their opinioned conclusion still didn’t say, “yeah the 8700 was the better choice, sorry for recommending the 1600”, the data spoke for itself.

They do good analysis though and there aren’t many reviewers that do as much as them.

Regarding their decision to choose the 3950x, it’s one I disagree with but if we are strictly looking at gpu limited scenarios when testing GPUs (and if we’re looking at leaked data, even 1440p isn’t always gpu limited, so 4k) it can be still be helpful.

They’ll absolutely do an Intel vs AMD comparison, and we’ll see how results come up.

I am on that pcie 4.0 hype train but it still surprised me their test bed is a Ryzen 9 3950x. Would make sense this upcoming gen (Zen 3/Ampere/Big Navi), but the i9 9900k and i9 10900k are just better gaming chips than the Ryzen 9 3950x.

Just look at the poll they took. Their channel is definitely mired with AMD fanboys.

I got into a multiple post argument with someone about how the 8700k was a better buy than the 1600 in 2017, and it just went in circles saying that it’s dumb to buy a 8700k in 2020 even though i specifically said the purchase in 2017 was the main issue.

Maybe they figured it was ‘fake news’? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, you can’t have a rational discussion with a zealot … doesn’t matter what the topic is. They’re just going to hear what they think they heard/want to hear.