Am I the only one who took warts and all seriously?

Seems like most of the posts on the forum are to fix/change the parts of vanilla people don’t enjoy/agree with/don’t match their personal playstyle.

It’s so common to see people saying something that is clearly popular and done by many players needs to be changed/nerfed/removed because they personally do not like it. And they’ll argue it’s better game design, or it wasn’t intended, or that no one did it in vanilla (often wrongly) so it shouldn’t exist now.

They said they were going to give us vanilla, warts and all. So why is everyone trying to justify changes saying it’s better game design? We know the game could be better designed. They didn’t do it on purpose. That’s a wart.

IDK, sometimes it feels like everyone posting wants to turn this into retail.

38 Likes

Classic is amazing don’t get me wrong, its a much more enjoyable version of the game imo. But its not perfect and there are things that could be changed to make classic better. And not all things in retail are bad, just most of them. Ofcourse thats subjective stuff but because its subjective its okay to disagree and agree with it, just because you want it to be exactly the way it was doesn’t mean everyone wants to keep playing the game exactly the way it is.

8 Likes

I agree. This honestly isn’t the vanilla experience I was expecting. I know many things like mob stats and itemization was way different in previous vanilla patches. Classic’s based on the easy mode patch.

2 Likes

Many of us didn’t want “warts and all”. We wanted a modern game with a Vanilla feel.

The idea that Classic would be anything like Vanilla is ludicrous. There are too many changes in the player base, too many changes in technology, too much knowledge, too many versions of Vanilla to accurately replicate it. What we end up with is a very poorly-made and badly-run emulation.

7 Likes

I mean, the people who wanted it before it was announced wanted vanilla. We didn’t get it, but we don’t need to change things that don’t need changing.

4 Likes

This would be the best experience honestly. Imagine a classic wow but with everything unknown. That would be the ideal

6 Likes

I think a lot of people flat out wouldn’t trust new Blizzard.

4 Likes

The forum is a miniscule portion of the player base. You can largely ignore it.

5 Likes

It would be nice if Blizzard made an attempt at finding new ways to get feedback from the playerbase. The forums is too small of a group to base updates on.

3 Likes

Probably best to.

They all see this as a fixer-upper project when it was never intended to be.

5 Likes

That exactly. I’m sure they have the ability to have people fill out a in game feedback form that you access by clicking a physical object in game like a ballot box or something that gives you 500 characters to work with , parse through every form trying to find common words and phrases, and make a yes or no or multiple choice option to these player made questions.

We have to ask, what made Vanilla a great game?

It’s the social aspects, people have to work together to get things done. You need guilds, you need groups, you need knowledge sharing, you have to know the people on your server. Those are the parts we need to replicate in a game.

We don’t need every single quest to be the same, we don’t need the same classes and items. We don’t need to replicate old bugs and old behaviors. All we need to do is to have a game that encourages social participation.

We don’t need a Vanilla museum at all. A good emulation of Vanilla is a pipe dream and is bound to have many problems, as we are seeing.

2 Likes

Blizzard’s never gotten community feedback like this before and I can’t think of a better way to have hundreds of thousands of people submitting their ideas for updates. Their current way of getting community feedback seems to be see who’s yelling the loudest on the forums since 2004.

I’ll agree on this, any game that’s run by committee usually has tons of problems because it has no direction. You can’t make a game through the consensus of a crowd because there’s never a good, positive, helpful consensus.

2 Likes

The game you love, vanilla, is what it is because of player feedback on forums and player feedback on alpha forums though. So whats the difference

1 Like

OSRS does just this though.

1 Like

Feedback is good, so long as you have a good team that reviews the ideas and gives them a solid direction.

Polls are not good because then the implication is that the winning result will be implemented. It’s usually either something random which will make the game random or the team has to ignore the poll which makes the voting moot and the players upset.

1 Like

For good reason.

Every time they’ve tried to make a game around player feedback ONLY in my memory it has been awful.

Cataclysm, Diablo 3 at launch, both were heavy player feedback cycles. We got quests that were dumbed down so much as to no longer be satisfying and levelling to match it. We got an inferno difficulty that was so overtuned you needed to spend real money on the game to get through it in a reasonable amount of time.

Players are very bad at making game decisions.

4 Likes

Which is what? Never heard of it.

Another MMO that released an older version of their main game, but then OSRS took over the playerbase by 2-3x the main game’s amount.