Alterac Valley in Classic

Thanks for the update Kaivax.

I’ll throw my support in for an earlier version of AV, but i’m not giving up on Classic™ if this is the final decision.

:cocktail:

Boooo. No changes! This isn’t supposed to be a hodgepodge of patches. This is supposed to be classic with all of its quirks and idiosyncrasies. You shouldn’t get to pick and chose what features you like and dislike because that’s not classic.

I am okay with what ever version of AV you implement… as long as the game cannot end in under 5 minutes (40v40 should take longer than a WSG game)

1 Like

Its funny because the writer of this post points out that the great AV zerg didn’t begin until the stupid reinforcements were added in 2.3.

Well, they aren’t tho. Pretty much everything we’ve seen has indicated they were choosing 1.12. Right from the outset. Anything other than 1.12 was pure guesswork and conjecture on our part. All in all, it is what it is. I never experienced original AV, and I’m not going to. Those that did, will always have that honor. /salute

1 Like

No harm in asking them to change their mind is there?

2 Likes

Of course not. They might not have the ability to, without extensive work. Especially if they do not possess that data.

1 Like

Yikes, The only major reason I was tempted to play classic was for the original AV.

4 Likes

Really getting the vibe that you are are ablizzard employee, for the amount of water you are carrying for them.

5 Likes

Well said.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, but the long, hard fought, PvE+PvP battles are one of the highlight adventures that players talk about when it comes to Classic/Vanilla WoW.

I think the decision to go with 1.12 is a mistake and I’m sure there’s a better option that allows players to revisit earlier versions for a truly unique BG in the history of the game. Please consider something like 1.7 AV as it’s difficulty and tougher path to winning are a distillation of what players asked for with pservers and Classic WoW in the first place.

7 Likes

1.12 AV is a waste of time and is pretty antithetical to the original classic design of the battleground. I was very excited for level 60 pvp, but this casts a nasty shadow over that idea. I would vastly prefer an earlier version.

Zerg AV is not fun, and there are numerous quests in AV that give serious rewards that can’t realistically be done in the 1.12 version without throwing the game.

6 Likes

Oh my god this is going to suck. GDI blizzard.

4 Likes

I have to say this is a disappointment and I hope you’ll reconsider. Old AV is one of the most iconic things about vanilla WoW.

7 Likes

The only problem I really have is I don’t quite get the logic behind the decision. They say they don’t want changes and wish to keep to the formula which I wholeheartedly agree with (I’m a hard NoChanges here) and that’s fair enough perhaps they don’t have the data so it would be guesswork. However it seems strange to consider reverting AV back to an older version a change if they’re willing to tweak itemization to prior patches.

With the no changes goal/tenents stating that they must always keep within the confines of Vanilla and always keep within the original design philosophy of the game, reverting AV (to say patch 1.5 or which ever is favoured) shouldn’t count as a change because it doesn’t meet the parameters to be considered one. The data is purely from the vanilla client.

I doubt they will revert it but we’ll have to see.

4 Likes

Hey I want the original AV just as bad as you do. But news flash, no one who worked on Vanilla works at Blizzard anymore except for Kaplan and the crab guy. Kaplan was not a programmer.

Everyone who made Vanilla, vanilla has moved on. Hey I want them to give it a try as well. But I would rather they stick with what they have then screw it up. The community cannot even come to a consensus on which version of AV to keep. If they make you and I happy they are making a ton of other people upset. It would be cool if they made an attempt but hey, I can understand their position.

1 Like

This is a mistake, The original 1.5 AV was probably the most iconic gaming experience of classic WoW and it has never been replicated in any other game.

14 Likes

Not a fan of this choice. While 1.12 AV is better than what we have currently, it’s still not the “old school AV” that has been spoken of fondly for years. I’m not a programmer, but surely something can be done to add the trolls, shredders and land mines back in.

Furthermore, Blizzard… please STOP with the whole “ITS TOO HARD” mantra. AV is optional to do. It’s a battleground. It’s a slaughter. It’s supposed to be hard.

6 Likes

I agree with this decision 100%. Thanks for the info Kaivax

I don’t know, I’ve been here for a long time. I don’t recall Blizz ever listening to the PvP community.
The experience they desire, the reward system that best suited them.
It always seems they took the whining of the PvE community to heart and allowed a demographic that takes PvP as a side dish to encroach on a segment of the game they care little about, when the focal point should have been dedicated diehard PvP players.
Everytime some PvE player got ganked by a PvP player, they ran to the boards and whined about Twinks, gear, stats, resilience , etc etc, etc. and Blizz laid down and catered to them.
In the end they ended up with a PvP product that serves no one.
PvE players get the Classic they were nostalgic for, PvP players get the shaft. Somethings never change.

4 Likes