Alterac Valley in Classic

Do you think there is a chance they might revert these changes? I don’t think they actually really care what we think. And there are some people who like this. I think most people here are on the opinion the 1.12 is not the best idea for AV.

1 Like

And we are also getting post 1.12 changes, are you as open to those as you are to pre 1.12 AV?

So is TBC prepatch. Guess we should be getting 2.0 talents, TBC honor system(no hwl grind) etc? They were in vanilla, afterall! They came later than 1.12, too!

2.0 was not a Vanilla patch; it was the systems patch for TBC. It introduced all of the TBC changes and even the content; it was just locked away until a certain time. So, no, the Vanilla server should not have the TBC systems patch because the TBC systems patch was not part of Vanilla.

That was easy. Next time try harder with the false equivalencies.

The fact that you describe my position of “Your assertion is not a proven fact, please don’t act like your implication and inference is proof” as “wishy-washy” pretty much tells me everything I need to know about you.

My requests are reasonable, whether or not you believe they are, and whether or not they are fulfilled. I no longer care about your opinion. Have a nice day.

This makes me sad. We have the modern WoW client, faster than ever processors and stable internet. Why would you want to give us a less epic battle. I believe there is a balance that can be struck here, but sticking to 1.12 is not the answer.

10 Likes

I never played back then, I wanted to experience the 1.5 av with none of the nerfing.
I’ve never heard anything good about the 1.12 changes to it either, all I’ve ever heard is that it was a massive mistake, it just makes it more like the modern pvp modes.
You call the 1.12 changes “improvements”, everyone else just sees it as modern wow’ification which is exactly what everyone looking forward to classic doesn’t want.

4 Likes

You won’t be happy

4 Likes

Cry me a river. The point was that Blizzard perceived negative community response so they changed it and there are at least some extant complaints from back then (hardly any discussion actually survives). What they directly said was that they found the BG was unpopular. If that’s true, it’s reasonable to assume that people were complaining. Everything gets complained about at some point in this game, and unpopular things get complained about more. You ran with that and decided to get hyper-pedantic and pseudointellectual about proving the exact volume of complaints at the time, which is sad and desperate. Given that these uber-hardcore pushes in the MMO scene always fail (lol Wildstar) I’m inclined to believe that you people are full of hot air when you talk about how it was all roses and sunshine and everyone was happy.

Believing that Blizzard should go out of their way to accomodate multiple different content states from different patches at the same time is unreasonable. It would be a ton of extra work and bug potential for minimal payoff. They’re here to create an authentic experience and I find it pretty hypocritical that this forum routinely loses their minds over things like loot trading but apparently thinks matching the same version of AV with the rest of the content is abhorrent.

Sticking to 1.12 AV is the answer when the rest of the game is 1.12. It’s the most logical choice. Anything else is based on personal preference, would require an enormous detour of development efforts, and wouldn’t make sense in the context of creating an authentic experience of the latest and most refined iteration of Vanilla i.e. 1.12.

Processing power of computers is not even remotely a concern. That doesn’t make sense; It’s still a 40v40 battleground so the computational requirements are the same. You still have epic 40v40 action to this day on Retail in AV, so I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Imagine how out of it you have to be to aruge that 1.12, literally a patch from Vanilla, is not what people were looking for when they wanted Vanilla WoW.

Literally 100% of complaints I see about 1.12 AV are based on empty nostalgia and not much else, much like the rest of classic WoW discourse.

Original AV felt to me like a pve/pvp zone where you did turn in based quests (hence the semi sarcastic comment on calling it a questing zone) while farming npcs and players alike.

The reason I want to see an older version of AV is most likely because it was significantly less effective to use the modern strategy that is used to bypass older content: zerg it down. On a personal level I think I am more upset not being able to have an enemy faction war trophy collection than AV being released in its weakest form.

And I can argue that they did remove tons of stuff from AV. During the time this was done though it was most likely to make old content easier as is the standard operating procedure of an MMO and not really to do much else. You can even see that in the patch notes.

2 Likes

That guy is just some forum hero/attention seeker, ignore him.

AV should be miserable and unpopular. I need pubscrubs to queue for WSG and AB to act as honor fodder.

1 Like

I wonder who at Blizzard thinks it is a good idea to listen to the playerbase, and then actively chooses to do the opposite of what people ask for.

Give us the real Alterac Valley experience. I want my AV to be better than what it is now. Seriously, this was one of the biggest selling points of WoW: Classic and you are trying to turn it into retail.

3 Likes

Shame. It was sped up iirc because gear was changed to cost tokens and AV tokens were much tougher to collect. Vanilla that gear was dependent on rep so there’s no reason not to populate it with tough npcs to stop zergs and actually have a battle.

1 Like

Both versions of AV are authentic, it’s just the older AV had more heart to it. Would be nice if they had the old AV for a few months come release and then change it to the later one. Then after let the community decide which they would prefer. Perhaps a happy medium between the two? This is a big bummer.

1 Like

By time 1.12 AV was released it became a zerg bg; it will be nice however to see exactly how having less potent gear is going to change the zerg style.

Personally I would rather then having more NPC’s and their dmg/health get increased to prevent zerging as a possibility. If they don’t want to increase the NPC’s then having their HP/DMG increased after each tier set (T1.5, 2, 2.5) so tht AV will always be a challenge to finish but still have the whole ‘grind’ aspect.

Why do u pick content based on what is most clear for u? Isn’t he game being made for us?

Then shouldn’t u decide on what the players want…

4 Likes

Disappointing but expected. I had hoped to see the earliest version as I didn’t get to experience it.

As an original wow player, I can tell you that quote is full of CRAP. C R A P Nobody I knew and played with back then could stand the changes they made to AV and wanted to go back to real AV the moment they nerfed it.

I’d like to see an older version of AV in Classic as well. Seems like if we are doing Classic, and going for a Vanilla old timey feel, the incredible epic long AVs are certainly something of the past that would be neat to participate in again. At present, if I want a quick zerg AV (or a silly kill farm turtle) I can join in on an AV on retail.

I still remember the tale my old guild leader tells about the old epic AVs (because he still retells it all the time) when one evening he and his friend joined one, and spent the entire evening in there. Finally, as it was getting late, he logged out and went to bed. When he woke up that morning, and logged on to check his auctions/mail before he went to work, he saw his friend was still online… still in the same AV as when he left.

That’s the sort of AV I think we should be going for if we are going to do this Classic thing up right. An older AV would provide a more unique play experience across the two game versions available to players.

1 Like