Alterac Valley in Classic

Many PVP players like shorter AV. It’s better honor…

I’d argue that the serious PVPers and those who like it the most are the people grinding rank 14 and spend insane amounts of time in BGs.

The IB choke is simply too strong and Horde can easily bleed away Alliance reinforcements while defending all their territory quite easily. Alliance has no such counter to it due to the poor map design. As long as reinforcements have existed, Horde should ALWAYS blockade IB and they’ll almost never lose. Trying to race Alliance by not defending was bad Horde decisions and nothing to do with the map.

Without reinforcements, IB is a strong chokepoint, but it’s not a game breaker like it is in modern WoW.

1 Like

Told you so lol…

Except that the only way into Dun Baldar is over a narrow bridge. I watched countless Horde groups die on that bridge.

They brought out this news so players would stop complaining about the new portal room in retail

In a game with reinforcements, by the time Alliance is backed up that far, they are almost out and Horde will eventually win.

In a game without reinforcements, the bridge is indeed tough to break through, but so is the Horde base with the small path between the two towers. Both sides really need something like cavalry, ground units and or the ultimate units to break through, as it should be.

Can we get a classic classic server that actually has gameplay from before the game was over a year old? By the time this change happened in 1.12 the game was over 1.5 years old and imo ruins the whole point of a classic server which is to experience the game as it used to be.

4 Likes

back in MoP when I last played full time, I was at the PvP gear vendor one time looking over items to spend my points on. Now by this time I was fully geared with the highest level armor without doing arenas.
I received a whispered asking how I managed to fully gear my toon, since I was doing no arenas. I said “BG’s”
The response I got still makes me laugh " your nuts"
Maybe I was, but I enjoyed doing BG’s and doing them right. I was hoping to share that nuttiness with like minded players once more in Classic.
true PvP players search for epicness, the battles you remember.
Like that epic feeling of taking down a raid boss for the first time.

I Kinda hope maybe once classic is out and working we can get the old 1.5 as an event BG added.

2 Likes

Hey I want the old AV as well but I want to get this right because I cannot believe the post I read. So, because AV will be in a vanilla state, 1.12 you are saying it ruins the whole point of a classic server.

I don’t know if you intended this to sound this ridiculous, but no one will take this seriously.

2 Likes

Yes it does because 1.12 is 1 year after AV released. Any retail player that never played vanilla will never experience what old AV actually was, which I said is my opinion on why I would want to play classic, your opinion may vary.

Let me explain it a bit more. I played AV pre 1.12 for a year, everything after that has not been the AV I want. Finally after 15 years they make a classic server and it’s not even the one I remember playing.

4 Likes

This is false, AV was the PVER BG Only time rankers ever stepped into it was during the weekend for quick wins and quick loses in 1.10 + Besides that they’d stick to WSG during not event weekends, and AB During event weekends. WSG stomps where just so much better then AV unless it was bonus honor weekend.

2 Likes

If a private server can give us 1.5-1.8 AV, why can’t/won’t Blizzard?

Just wonderin’.

5 Likes

AV isn’t even releasing on launch. BGs are a later patch. Blizzard has all the time it needs to get it right, but has opted not to.

2 Likes

I did level this char up, took me 3 hours, but now I can post in this forum.

I picked this class, and account, as I wanted to show you what Classic was all about. it was about the road and not instant gratification. My goal was to post here, so I did level this char here, to unlock it. I did hope, Classic would resemble that attitude, but right now I am very worried.

Vanilla was about meeting others from your own realm, about leaving AV in the evening, just to come back into the same AV 15 hours later.

It was about having friends and foes and yes, everything took a long long time.

More and more about the Vanilla reboot shows up and I can´t express in words, how disappointed I am. If we just want to play the Classic content, then we can do this all the time at BFA. I run MC once a week on my Druid, I queue once in a while in a AV to finish it in 5 minutes. There is no need to give me that in a second version of your game, as I already have access to this.

What I wanted to see at a Vanilla WOW was the realm only pvp, the 2-3 days long battles at AV, I wanted to summon the ice lord, wanted to send out the gryphon riders and the army of dwarfs on their rams. I want to know every single one of those I pvp with and against.

Why can´t you give me that?`I honestly couldn´t care less about the AV version we already have. Where is the joy, if it´s not about fighting for hours and days, but about who is the fastest in the boss room?
This announcement is just as sad as the run with the 1.12. debuff and talent system. You seem to not fully understand why we wanted Classic in the first place. It´s about the long road, the hours, days and weeks spent in a game that unfolded slowly.
We had a true community, we had our world pvp at Alterac, when you want to bed, you knew the battle would still be there tomorrow, you just didn´t know if your folks could hold the GY or if you had to help and take it back. That feeling is now destroyed as you roll with 1.12. rush AVs.

My interest in playing Classic dropped heavily, as you don´t seem to give me anything that I don´t already have in BFA. Sure, you bring back Naxx, but I don´t care much about Naxx, if everything before that, is not authentic anymore.

7 Likes

Your exact quote was that it ruins the whole point of classic servers. That is ridiculous. If we are going to have productive discussions about Classic or anything, this kind of hyperbole does not help anyone.

2 Likes

For me it does yes, you seem to ignore that I keep saying that is how I feel. 1.12 AV was in the game 6 months or so before TBC release? People were playing older versions for 1 year before that. I personally would like servers before 1.12 but that’s not my decision to make.

Think of it like this. There is something you in the past you want to see or do again more than anything. Then someone invents a time machine that can go back in time. But it only goes back to just after the time you want to go to. There’s not really any reason to go back in time if you can’t even see the thing you want. Other people may have things they want to see that the time machine does travel to and are completely happy with it. While some people are not happy with this. This is called different people wanting different things and imo I want to see AV and the game as a whole as I remember playing it. So yes this does slightly ruin the point of the classic server for me but other people might not be as dissapoined as me.

For someone that only intends to raid of course AV has nothing to do with the classic server. For someone like me that wants the whole experience as it was, it’s not what I want at all.

Keep in mind that this is something that will require a subscription fee. When I am making decisions about classic I’m asking myself if I want to pay money for something that’s only half of what I want.

3 Likes

Private servers are passion projects. Classic is a purely business-driven decision.

2 Likes

Actually,

AV is just one small part of a problem that we have. It was promised that we get an authentic Vanilla game. Vanilla was released in 2004, but what we get is a game from 2006.
1.12. had a different talent system, some NPC´s were turned from Elite to normal, AV was a rush game and no longer a open world experience of multiple days, Crossrealm was there, Debuff slots were increased and so on.

It is as I said before, we asked for an authentic Vanilla, but what we get is a BFA re-release in disguise of classic. Classic is not just bringing back Naxx or some Quests that were deleted, Classic is about all the other stuff and that doesn´t seem to come at all.

4 Likes

Fortunately for me AV isn’t even something I consider when I think about classic. I only did just enough to get any rep rewards I wanted, then went back to wsg/ab or world pvp. If one instanced pvp zone makes or breaks classic for the malcontents, then they were probably going to complain about whatever version of classic Blizzard made anyway.

1 Like