Alterac Valley in Classic

I don’t see that qualifier in there anywhere, just a blanket statement that zerging will be what happens.

Zerging will happen.

4 Likes

Never said it wouldn’t, what I’ve said is that just like in 1.12 there will be plenty of games that last for hours.

:thinking:

It was absolutely zerged in Vanilla. Please, instead of throwing random arguments, try to educate yourself a little bit.

The reinforcement introduced in patch 2.3 didn’t “create” the zerg. It has nothing to do with each other actually, there is absolutely no correlation. On the contrary, on how it was done at the time, it stopped the zerg rush a little bit.

The Alliance being favored in AV thanks to the map were winning most of the AVs, to the point many on the horde side would just AFK in the cave. It was still the fastest way to get honor as you could stay in the cave and get the same honor as the people playing. With the reinforcement, the horde just had to turtle at the ice graveyard and wait for the reinforcement to wear down. The alliance cried so much, the entrance of the horde cave got changed patch 2.4 and it was back to zerging.
Zerging existed before 2.3 and 2.2. It was rarer in Vanilla, but it started there for sure, there are even youtube videos from 2006 showing it. Now it is a known technique and honestly, watching the stream, it is absolutely boring at the moment…

13 Likes

No but what reinforcements did is make the zerg the only way to play. Could AV be zerged in 1.12, sure, was it zerged every game, hardly. In 1.12 playing D and breaking the zerg is an actual viable strategy for both sides that can lead to winning, after reinforcements it wasn’t.

What happened because of reinforcements and the map vastly favoring forward horde defensive positions is that they were winning almost every game just by playing D and alliance simply stopped queuing. So the agreed upon strat became that both sides just zerg and see who wins.

I am sorry that classic AV is diluted. But here is an excellent area for the game developers to strike a balance with the player base and reach an agreement.

Find a middle ground between the pre 1.12 AV and the current AV planned in classic.

1 Like

Yes, the zerg is not the only way I agree. And I don’t think anyone argues that it could not be played otherwise.

The issue is, it is easy to do and yields the maximum honor/hour. Plus, you can see it in the beta, the version feels so empty that people get bored when they turtle.
And usually, because there is no reinforcement (which was a terrible addition don’t get me wrong), the side that turtles in defense ends up losing.

1 Like

Seijuron is spot on! Patch 1.12 was the beginning of the mess that is retail AV. We would like to play AV as it was in Classic… not the patch to set us up for TBC.

Daily reminder that this is a skeleton crew of devs patching 1.12 onto current infastructure, not rebuilding any content that doesn’t exist in 1.12.

They’re not bringing back anything pre-1.12. Not even stats for weapons. Why would they do a massive, from scratch build of AV that probably doesn’t even exist anymore?

This is to save their IP so they can litigate against private servers, and hey, a little extra money. This isn’t to bring the best classic experience to players. At. All.

7 Likes

1.11 AV existed longer in vanilla than 1.5 - 1.8 AV. And neither 1.11 or 1.12 were the BC pre patch, that was 2.0.

Hourly reminder that Nost got closer to early AV with far less of a skeleton crew.

Also in reply to the repeated idiocy above:
John Bonham has been dead longer than he had lived. Doesn’t mean he is a better drummer in his coffin than he was alive.

AV wasn’t changed from 1.8 onward to make it better, but to make it quicker to get over with to get welfare epics.

3 Likes

I went hunting and can’t find anything earlier than BC regarding the bridge exploit. AV terrain did get changed in BC. The comments all seem to be in the 2.x timeframe.

The only exploit I recall reading and hearing about in vanilla was the one near the horde GY either through or over the fence.

Hell, there was a literal snowdrift ramp that enabled people to ride right over the horde wall.

maybe that was it. Do you recall the bridge exploit though ?

I usually spent my time at Van defending when I played my priest.
Huge battles there because the GY was right there as well as the mine.

I personally never knew of an exploit to get into the alliance base by circumventing the bridge.

Pro tip blizzard isn’t trying for early AV.

You are far from a pro. Merely a common troll with a bad case of sour grapes.

7 Likes

Hmm… I’m pretty happy with the grapes we’re getting :slight_smile:

You’re the one with the :persevere:

This is a good read.