Alt Unfriendly Developers

This is the most alt unfriendly expansions yet. Not being able to skip the max is only the beginning. Everyone points to thread of fate making alt friendly, but that only a necessity to stop an uprising if they forces everyone through that lengthy linear campaign again and again.

The developers chose to make the majority of items 60. This seems like an afterthought prior to launch to again force additional play. I point to the fact that mounts, chest to get mount (ascended council) tome for taming undead beast, sorrowbane (level 51 to use, but 60 to see the item), etc all require level 60.

If the tooltips reflected “60 required” it wouldn’t feel like a last minute war on alts. Devs are getting worse every xpac.

Pandaland was probably the last of the alt friendly xpacs (addition of reputation commendations), then Ion went to war.

9 Likes

I started my third alt in SL yesterday. I have a main that went through the main campaign, and two alts I’ve already leveled via Threads. I’m running this third alt through Threads also. My only major complaint with the leveling is that I’m already doing the same quests I did with my other two alts, so it’s getting a bit tedious. Of course, that happened when I leveled 10 alts during BfA too. I guess the developers can’t design whole new sets of quests for every alt, heh.

I do wish I could go ahead and do covenant campaign quests, soulbinds, etc. with my alts while leveling instead of having to wait until 60.

I also do wish I could fast forward past the Maw opening quests .

3 Likes

The only thing alts need is a maw intro skip. Other than that it’s actually very alt friendly.

22 Likes

Storywise the game is very alt friendly, but it is still unfriendly from a profession perspective. The fact that Crafter Marks are BIND ON PICK UP means you have to level your alts to the highest level with Van’ari to make the level two marks. Would also be lovely if soul ash was bind to account for the same reason. Having to far this stuff on multiple characters just means I won’t bother at all with any of it.

1 Like

Thinking about spending thousands of gold and soul ash for the legendaries plus farming conduits and renown is making it rough for me to want to play my alts to be honest.

4 Likes

I have 6 60’s 3 of which are 170+ 1 is 187, 1 is 185. The covenant catch up is reasonable. What’s not friendly? 2 of my toons got legendaries.

2 Likes

not going to lie got an alt to level 60 saturday night sunday morning. Today he is reknown 10. So far is hasn’t been as bad as I expected.

1 Like

Well… I already have 3 legendary(on 3 different 60’s), my paladin will get it tomorrow, sitting at 1200 soul ash, too lazy to do another layer 4.

My lowest of 12 alts is level 55. Doing a dungeon with rested XP gives 40% of a level.

If you are actually questing and trying to fill the bar in Threads of fate, you’re doing it wrong. Just do dungeons. Ignore the bar, it’s there to slow you down.

Soul ash is easy, it’s 2 weeks of layer 3, gear up in honor up to 184, but you can get full 158 pretty fast. We haven’t had this kind of expansion in a long time.

1 Like

It’s more alt friendly than the last few expansions have been, but it’s still not comparable to the era of WotLK->MoP.

Threads of fate seems more like it’s just there to prove you with variety options rather than be a super fast leveling option for alts, but leveling in this game has become such a minor speed bump that it’s more about the systems you have to deal with at max level.

I haven’t raided or done dungeons since sometime around MoP.

So I’m questing through Threads, but also doing bonus objectives, rares, and especially BGs since I basically PvP instead of PvE where I can.

This makes the experience of Threads much better. Plus, it means I have a ton of honor points by the time I hit 60, so I can gear up faster at that point.

One thing I noticed with my other two alts and am going to watch with this third alt…is the fact that they seem to fight better in BGs when they are scaled up for BGs, during leveling, than when they actually hit 60 and begin to get the beginner PvP honor gear. I’ve been disappointed twice; I’ll see if this happens with my current alt.

soul ash needs a catch up , threads of fate needs a minor boost

other than that its not bad

Other than end game raids I feel the changes make this the most alt friendly Xpack. Its why I’m back.

I ran a list of alts in Legion and it was pretty good.
BFA…ugh. WAY too many grinds for alts.
SL seems to be the same type of thing. Not wasting time grinding anima for alts when I could put that time into my main character.
If i wanted to play 20 hours a day, maybe. But I dont.

1 Like

What do you even have to grind anima for?

you need 16000 or more just to get your Transport network all opened up.
Not even counting the other three things.
I dont mind it on ONE character, but I aint doing it more than once lol

Would certainly be nice if things like that were account-wide (per covenant), but they probably won’t do that… they love their “time played” metric too much.

1 Like

I just mean you could skip it all… the only thing alts should really do is a couple torghast layers every once in a while.

You can even ignore your sanctum if it’s too much.

1 Like

Well, thats exactly the point. I want to do it all…but doing it on more than one character isnt going to happen.
I did start another druid into SL but as soon as I started seeing what all was involved I just parked the alt. lol. No thanks.

That’s fair I just mean there’s almost nothing you have to do for player power so I don’t see why there’s so much complaining about alt unfriendliness

I would play the game way more if it was easier to keep up with alts, I disagree that the xpac is alt unfriendly, actually just leveled an alt and didn’t feel that bad to catch up close to my main, problem is, I don’t want to keep up with more than one character the amount of chores start to multiply as you try to keep up, I always have to delete alts or start going crazy feel like work more than fun.

2 Likes