Allow violence and torture but not "the b word"

Oh but murder isn’t? :grimacing:

“You can set an entire city of people on fire but please, the language is a bit much dontcha think?”

:rofl:

1 Like

Everyone has nothing better to do until Shadowlands. Gotta start the drama somehow :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, so glad you know this. You must work for them and have inside knowledge of who controls what and who makes the decisions right? So glad we have you here to share your breadth of insider knowledge with us. Clearly, we are below you.

1 Like

Kinda funny how the lead writer can’t even keep his story straight on the issue.

2 Likes

5 years of Steve leading. A year where they are going soft to appease others. Waiting till they lower the rating and make all weapons nerf weapons… And sell skins on the store.

And we kill animals with hugs.

1 Like

Source: Unlocking Dark Iron Dwarf - #7 by Vrakthris

Now go back under your bridge.

His whole statement of why they decided to remove the word is questionable because he said that a guy from their team was playing with his kid and then they saw the word being used, so my questions are:

This “team member” didn’t knew about that scene in the game? It’s here for almost 10 years.

The game is rated as PG-13, so was this child old enough to play the game? Or was he younger? Because if it is the second option, i find really hypocrite that a father would complain about a line because of the effect that would make on his kid, while this kid shouldn’t be playing the game.

He also said that this was made thinking on make the game better for future generations, ok i find that a really cool goal, but i got a simple question:

Why you guys don’t focus on making the game better for their current players?

What i didn’t like about the removal of that word was not the removal but the fact that they got a little bit of their time, who should be used on their next expansion, to go back to something that has 10 years and then changing it.

Seriously, don’t you guys have anything more productive to do, instead of change past Devs work? Do you guys really need to change everytime a piece of lore or content of the game, that your past colleagues did?

We reached a point where every expansion is certain of receiving a retcon, instead of trying to minimize the use of this, they embrace it and do when they have a chance.

I find incredible that they actually did a discussion about that word, and then decided to remove, we have a expansion that had less than 6 months of testing and they still find time to make this change, instead of putting more focus on the upcoming expansion.

It’s incredible what they seem to consider as a “priority”.

4 Likes

And? You understand Blizzard devs are at home now with their families thanks to work from home stuff now right? So what he might not have noticed by himself, he noticed later because his kid pointed it out to him, at which point he’s like: “You know what? It does seem off, never really noticed that before.”

Said dev by the way? We don’t know what department of Blizzard they work in. Could be in a department where they don’t really interact with the game world all that much, or, maybe he just hasn’t played through Silverpine. It’s not one of my favourite zones. Either way, the length of time the line is there is irrelevant.

The game is rated T for Teen in most countries, but again, the age of the child is irrelevant. The child could have been 13, or the child could have been 17. It doesn’t matter.

They are. There’s literally an expansion launching in two months to that effect.

Oh no, three minutes to change a line of dialogue and save it! Whatever should they do with that time, I wonder.

You’re acting like this was a monumental change which took time away from development. Do a test real quick, open a word document that you have on your computer, and remove a word from it, then save it and tell me how long it took you to do that. I guarantee you it didn’t take you very long.

2 Likes

Oh so it doesn’t matter a young kid playing or seeing something that is for people with more age? Oh my…

Yes they are if that expansion will be good, that is open to debate.

Because changing a word on a document is the same as changing it in a game…

Dude you’re trying really hard to stand in favor of this, aren’t you?

2 Likes

Did you notice the ages that I used?

13 or 17.

Game is rated T for Teen, so… Thirteen or Seventeen

Oh and FYI, Blizzard allows younger kids to play WoW easily, but they advise parental supervision when that happens.

Dialogue is literally a text file. That’s all it is. Audio is different, but even that doesn’t take long to edit.

2 Likes

It’s a bad policy to edit the game every time an employee’s kid got offended.

That kid can avoid going to silverpine forest for leveling.

This kind of political correctness is stupid.

4 Likes

The kid didn’t ‘get offended’ they just pointed out an inconsistency, which the developer noticed, then conversations were had with other developers, which led to the change.

This has nothing to do with political correctness. It’s literally an inconsistency in the dialogue. Said it before and I’ll say it again. That word has only ever been used twice within World of Warcraft, both times during the Cataclysm expansion. It was never used before that in WoW (the word never appeared in Vanilla, BC or WotLK) and is has not appeared since. It hasn’t even been said by Garrosh in either MoP or WoD.

I’ve used this analogy before and I’ll use it again. If WoW dialogue was a tiled floor, all the tiles would be the same colour, except two. Someone noticed this (the kid) and the owners of the floor (Blizzard) then decided to remove those two tiles and replace them with ones that match the rest of said floor.

It’s that simple.

I disagree.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Glad to trigger you.

3 Likes

And now you’re on my ignore list. I swear, you people are duller than a bag of hammers.

1 Like

As a blob once said “Chyna”.

no it’s not :slight_smile:

Swing and a miss, China has nothing to do with this change.

Censorship always wins in china.

Yes, but their censorship doesn’t affect our version of the client. They have their own version of the client with specific alterations (such as tombstones instead of bones after you rez, and bread instead of chunks of flesh/gore). If Blizzard was making this change to suit a Chinese audience, they’d modify their client, not ours.