Allied Race Idea: Arakkoa 🐦

We need the perfection and majesty that is uncursed Draenor birbs. You can still be the first big mmo to do playable birbs, WoW… hint hint.

4 Likes

I would say the Arakkoa are safe as far as being similar to the Mag’har goes since there are ways that they are not caught by the Lightbound.

I hope so.

2 Likes

Hopefully, they get the hint. ^-^ :bird:

3 Likes

it’d be cool to see what kind of racials a bird race would get, I support playable birds

3 Likes

Yes, it would.

I seriously hope at least the flying racial makes it.

3 Likes

What kind of racial abilities would you hope for?

2 Likes

Definitely the flying. There could be a silly channeled ability where the you continue to peck your target for some damage or disorient. if not ill stick to my /emote peck macro. Maybe they can have a mailbox racial that summons a kaliri holding a bag of scrolls. like our dear friend Percy! Or an ability similar to the lightforged draenei that summons a laser from the sky like you’re commanding one of the apex crystals on top of the towers.

2 Likes

These are some dark, cool, useful, fun and shadowy abilities that I think would lend themselves well to the wise, kooky, crooked and cool, trinkety, warm and big-hearted arakkoa, and fit their smart, shadowy kit. The cursed arakkoa which are my favorite.

Preen, they perch or sit quietly, entering their clear mind or a meditative state which removes all negative effects and heals them.

Rook, an ability that switches places with an enemy! This has tons of fun and use and fits the clever and shadowy race and their use of piercing the veils between realms. The enemy would be placed where the arakkoa was, having to readjust to his or her surroundings, and the arakkoa will now be where the enemy just was! Perhaps the arakkoa will scrawl a rune on the ground and after a brief channel of shaky feathers and concentration, the target and the arakkoa swap!
Or perhaps it’s an instant snap of their talons and the clever trick has begun.

Effigy, place an effigy of the arakkoa which all damage and or affects are redirected to. Like an arakkoa scarecrow that takes the negative incoming stuff instead, while the arakkoa is protected from harm by it’s effigy. Perhaps when the effigy has had it’s fill of damage and effects, it crumbles or fades into a shadow realm, or perhaps it explodes with all the effects and damage applied to the attacker(s) or leaves a swirl of dark energy in the area the effigy was standing.

Crystal ball, no arakkoa is far from their twisty trinkets and dark dusts and of course their otherworldly orbs into which they peer. Arakkoa gaze into their orbs of swirling shadow, predicting the next move(s) an enemy will make, and therefore preventing the attacks or even inflicts them upon the enemy instead!

Fowl play, enter a shadow or realm, by sprinkling dreamy shadow dust from one of their treasured pouches, allowing the arakkoa to be unable to be targeted or seen because they are on a different plain. While phased, they can traverse the realm and inflict damage or healing from beyond the other side of the veil for a bit before reentering reality. Used more for defensive or evasive maneuvers (escape) but may apply curses and do some damage while phased.

Exile, sends the enemy into a shadow realm. Where they must fight the arakkoa’s shadow to be able to exit. If the arakkoa player chooses to enter the realm, they may do so, and will naturally be buffed while inside.

Bird brain, arakkoa’s love and reverence for their trinkets; both shiny and shadowy, allows them to peer deeper into their beloved baubles cherished curios, and exactly realize their full potential! As a passive, trinkets become doubly useful, with increased stats compared to all other races. Or perhaps it will be more fun, upon receiving a trinket, to use Cherish, an arakkoa ability that boosts a trinket triply so.

Messenger pigeon, transports attached messages or very small parcels from the place where it is released to a friend or destination. A kilari, owl, falcon (or bird of player’s choice) equipped with a scroll-stuffed satchel descends and can be used as mailbox anywhere when whistled for! Unlike a standard mailbox, the bird can be utilized as a way to personally deliver mail to friends. Friends will be visited by the toting bird, and be able to receive mail and packages from their arakkoa buddy just like a carrier pigeon! If there is room in the arakkoa’s bank, the messenger pigeon can drop items off in the bank as well, freeing up bag space for the wise and whimsical arakkoa adventurer! Wouldn’t it be exciting to have a winged visitor arrive while you’re questing, with news or items from a far-off arakkoa buddy?

Dark Migration, calls forth a flock of birds to aid in combat, surrounding the arakkoa with an impenetrable whirlwind of crows, ravens or other other shadowy birds, and harming attackers who dare attempt to strike while the arakkoa is protected.

Birds of a feather, when arakkoa are near their kin, their awareness becomes heightened and senses strengthened. As an arakkoa is assisted by his flock, their knowledge and evasiveness grows, increasing intellect, crit and evasiveness. The larger the flock grows, the greater the buff!

Wicked Plumage, the arakkoa’s natural cloak of cursed feathers will cause the first assault by an attacker to reflect and their assailant’s mind to break, sending them into a fearful panic.

Roost, or nest, receive double rest xp!

I love the cursed, crooked and cool arakkoa the best, so I’d only want to play as them. They’re are a spirited bunch even though they’ve had a past of suffering. I like their curious nature, their enthusiasm and slight obsession into the occult, their adoration for treasures and knickknacks, and despite being bent they have never broken. Their warm-hearted ways and eagerness show that even those who delve in shadow and dabble in dark arts can be trusted and loyal companions, friends, and hopefully horde members.

Perhaps through some new discovered lore or advancement in their story, they can relearn how to fly. Flying would be nice for them.

I would love a hooded shall as part of the heritage armor, and a crystal orb with real swirling smoke inside possibly lining a rope belt or in a sack, and trinkets, a scroll-stuffed satchel and trailing robes.

Just thinking out loud here! I’ve always loved the arakkoa, and longed to be one.
One of my favorite races in anything ever, not just in warcraft! Skraaa! :owl::crystal_ball::sparkles:

7 Likes

For the Cursed Arakkoa, I would personally love to see a racial where you can banish someone to the Shadow Realm or Lands for a short while and they cannot interact with anything, but they can still move around and cannot be hurt.

2 Likes

Cool idea, but it might be too OP for a racial, could see some decent ways to tone it down, though, maybe only works on NPCs.

I could see it being a friendly spell, make it work only out of combat, and you could have a short racial stealth on a cooldown, would be really nice for exploring, sort of the counterpart to the high arakkoa’s flying. And, since it’s more a spell, you could have it be usable on an ally, but only single-target, giving you the interesting choice of whether to use it on yourself or your friend.

3 Likes

I know of ONE way this would be OP beyond belief…

Flag Carrier: captures flag
Low Arakkoa player: uses racial to make them drop flag
Flag Carrier: surprised Pikachu face

4 Likes

Okay, I did not even think about that implication when I thought of the ability… My mistake.

2 Likes

Don’t let it deter you, this kind of thing is what brainstorming is for. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lots of cool ideas they could pick from.

(Good to see em, I’ve thought about high arakkoa stuff, but hadn’t had any really good ideas about what they could do for the cursed ones.)

4 Likes

Agreed.

Although, to be fair, this isn’t one of those “Megathreads”. Or at least it is not labeled as one.

Would this count as a megathread?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know myself… :woman_shrugging:

I’m curious about these, myself.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of likes. Have another, my first D&D character (as DM) was a Kenku, a winged birdman, I’ll take them sans wings in this game. Arakkoa always reminded me of The Dark Crystal. They’d be my ultimate for various dark sorceries.

5 Likes

Yeah, that was their inspiration and the thing that got me interested in them back in Wrath, but WoD was the clincher.

Huh… TBH, I only just got into looking up DnD (and I think Niwal tried bringing it up) and only just recently created an Aarakocra Monk (mostly to see how stats work in DnD).

Also:

I only just noticed on the OP how many likes just it has.

3 Likes

Ah yes Aarakocra were the other bird race. Kenku were from oldschool Oriental Adventures (back when it was okay to use the word Oriental, heh), basically Tengu from Japanese mythology. I’ve always wanted to revisit that character concept (the Arakkoa are more than fine), and you know I can’t think of a game with anthropomorphic birds in it other than that D&D Champions of the Forgotten Realms phone game where you click and don’t really control anything. It’s free for PS4, I’m ashamed I put money into something so obviously just there to take it from you to watch a new sprite dance the same over and over and over and over. Guess it was one of those mindless addiction things. That and I really dug my creep squad, all Kobolds and other monstrous races. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Heh, nice.

Although, I did experiment a bit with something. There’s an Arakkoa Discord link on the actual megathread in the 2nd or 3rd post where we can chat more on the subject if you wish.

4 Likes