Alliance development

I know I just remember the alliance zones were a bit depressing and the way they handled the evening out of the zones didn’t work well for the alliance, needed to be done but could have been done better. It was also the beginning of the horde villain bat era so I know it wasn’t great for the horde. Partly I think having the kalimdor and the ek still destroyed by the cataclysm irritating.

2 Likes

I’ve done loremaster twice for the Alliance, at least through the MoP era. Hell, I almost exclusively played Alliance back during that period. I was never really bothered by the Cata content questing at the very least. Even the supposed NEs getting beat up in Darkshore didn’t come off as that bad?

Also, the only reason the Horde didn’t have as many zones of their destroyed by the Catacylsm is that they held like 30 percent of the Vanilla continents prior to the Cata World revamp? The Red Faction had nothing to really lose, which is why they had like no relevance in any Vanilla questing or storytelling post lvl 40; and why that revamp was very necessary.

2 Likes

It dint ruin everything still fun to play through, I think having an alliance city being destroyed at the beginning of an expansion being something of a tradition has gotten a bit frustrating.

3 Likes

If the topic is pop culture references, I’m pretty sure Notamage is referring to the Alliance side Eastern Kingdoms revamp, which sucked.

3 Likes

yeah, instead of actually creating a new character no, “lets do rambo”
duskmallow, for example, doesn’t seem to be even finished, we had some conspiracy from theramore deserters but… it ends up in pretty much nothing. no resolve.
or that caravan haha

3 Likes

It wasn’t that Dustwallow was never finished. It was never started. Those are the same quests from Classic-Wrath, and make no timeline sense in the revamp.

4 Likes

Ek alliance as a whole wasn’t great in cata south shore gone menethil harbour flooded, the dam destoyed and the loch drained. Old Blanchy dead and replaced with a csi Miami référence. Red ridge being a rambo reference.

1 Like

But that is the thing. Zandalar and Boralus are proof that you can have a sprawling capital with plenty of gameplay use. If for example the Naga were suddenly a threat, a new Darnassian capital near the water can easily be used as a staging ground for that fight.

2 Likes

Could have given them control of some neutral zones. Not like we wound up doing anything with Silithus before they blew the place up. Didn’t need to have them kick the Alliance in the teeth repeatedly. It’s very discouraging.

2 Likes

They did. The only two zones the Horde canonically picked up were Hillsbrad for the Forsaken, and Azshara for the Kalimdor Horde. Both were neutral territories, and both resulted in the Alliance playerbase screeching about “Horde Bias”. And claiming things like Blizz should have just invented entirely new zones and islands for the Horde to take, when they know damned well they’d also screech about “Horde Bias” if the Horde got a bunch of brand new, custom zones to explore … and they didn’t.

4 Likes

I’ll take the latter over the former any day of the week! Cata was a crap show for the Alliance and the pre-Siege of Ogrimmar event did nothing to help that fact.

2 Likes

Robot cat mrow

3 Likes

Those aren’t player capitals, they are expansion hubs which immediately become deserted when the next expac opens. Most of the player capitals, like Darnassus, and the Exodar, never saw any signficant foot traffic… even after the auction houses were added in.

3 Likes

Hillsbrad was not “neautral” in the way Silithus was “neutral.” Despite the slight PvP objectives available in Silithus, Silithus was neutral in that it was under Cenarion Circle establishment. Hillsbrad was not neautral in this sense. Hillsbrad was contested. A contest that the Horde won - when the Horde didn’t want to. Originally Blizzard announced that a tidal wave from the Cataclysm was going to destroy Southshore. And then they changed their mind to go with the Forsaken blighting it instead and winning the contested zone for the Horde.

Azshara was neutral in that no one was really there at all. However, Blizzard than presented the zone as having Night Elf NPCs for the Horde to defeat and win the zone from. So in this way, the Horde was also given a visible win when it did not need to, because Blizzard did not need to add a greater Night Elf presence there for the sole purpose of being killed when they weren’t there to that extent in Classic-Wrath.

Andorhal and Thal’darah Grove using phasing to show Horde successes when phasing wasn’t used for any other successes compounded onto this even more.

And then this was all magnified by Mount Hyjal and the Molten Front and level 80-85 content in Cataclysm not addressing the Horde’s war under Garrosh and instead looking the other way so the Alliance and Horde could team up to face the greater threats.

Or when it comes down to it, the exact same issues we have now with the Horde storyline sucking, but story simultaneously doing everything it can to look the other way from the Horde’s starting the wars again.

5 Likes

Mm, I disagree. First, I don’t believe there’s the remotest possibility that both the world as a whole and every individual will ever live up to anyone’s standards, Cap’s or anyone else, so it’s sort of a dead end argument. As long as people are different, there the opportunity for conflict, for tragedy, for change, for growth. And second, there are the classical three basic stories: man against man, man against nature, man against himself. Nature is always an available threat for a story writer.

I meant the world in the narrative sense rather than the literal. The world is indeed a big place, but we only ever follow the stories of its principle characters.

But if all your principle characters are morally upright, don’t go off the handle and do rash/impulsive/selfish things, and always chooses the most peaceful and non-violent option, then most all of your stories will consist of them sitting around peacefully until someone else sparks the conflict and spurs them into action.

2 Likes