Alliance bias in the story

So many people on these forums complain about Blizzard favoring the Horde, however when it comes to story, there has not been 1 expansion about a bad guy from the Alliance, and then there’s Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, and BFA, 3 expansions all about how bad the Horde is. Almost every atrocity that has occurred in recent memory has been carried out by the Horde.

And before you bring up examples: Garithos was in Warcraft 3 so he doesn’t count, Arthas didn’t act in the name of the Alliance, and events like the slaughter at Camp Taurajo are rarely brought up outside the context of the leveling zone they are in.

In BFA, this issue reached its zenith. Anduin is literally the biggest goody two-shoes in this game’s history. The closest thing to an evil act he ever did was punch Wrathion’s beautiful face. Meanwhile Elf Hitler wipes out entire populations of tree hugging elves, its not even close.

Yes, Blizzard favors the Horde when it comes to gameplay, but story wise, the Alliance has been favored since the start. They are nearly always the valiant heroes defending the world from Horde aggression. Blizzard, if you are going to tell another faction war story in the future, actually make the factions morally grey.

8 Likes

https://media.giphy.com/media/dEdmW17JnZhiU/200.gif

6 Likes

chuckles in mechagnome
chuckles in lightforged draenei
chuckles in void elf

I see your point but man we got a fair share of trash too

15 Likes

How dare you insult the High King of the Horde!

3 Likes

It goes back and forth. Alliance typically get more spotlight and control in stories that involve threats to the world like The Legion, and Horde get more spotlight and control in faction stories.

That eventually end back in Alliance control, due to the fact after faction stories comes world ending stories, which they need The Alliance to be in position for.

If The Horde won there’d be no Alliance left, The Horde would eradicate every last semblance of them off Azeroth, and that would break the game and story.

3 Likes

It’s all perspective honestly, I personally don’t believe in the bias for either side.

1 Like

2 Likes

Dazar’alor is Alliance bias.

The Alliance basically exists to react to things that the Horde does. That doesn’t feel very “favored” to me.

10 Likes

All major Horde characters are dead or Alliance pawns.
Or idiots like Sylvanas.
Alliance has a plethora of characters who never die.

I can’t wait to strangle Sylvanas. But the same goes for Jaina.

In b4 Varian though with the edit. Varian’s death compared to Vol’jin was some BS and you know it was.

When people say Blizzard favors the horde, they mean most of the faction stories center around the horde and its characters, rather than the Alliance and theirs.

The relative morality of each faction isn’t what’s being discussed.

4 Likes

See, the thing is, even when the story is about the Horde going evil and doing massacres, the focus is more on the Horde characters resisting it than the Alliance.

The Horde went all crazy and evil in BfA, and there were like 4 or 5 cinematics solely about Saurfang being sad about it, and the entire story was focused on him.

The Horde does bad things, but they’re the focus of the story. The Alliance is just kind of along for the ride.

3 Likes

Horde is the evil faction, Alliance are the good guys. Complaining that your leaders are maniacs is like complaining Alliance are too goody goody. It’s core to the story.

If you hold your breath long enough maybe Tyrande and Genn will go rogue and commit some atrocity, but it would be hard to call putting almost every Forsaken on a spike unjust after Teldrassil.

3 Likes

(Observation): Archbishop Benedictus was the Twilight Prophet. Fandral Staghelm was a racial leader of the Alliance.

(Commentary): Isn’t it a bit of a double-standard to say the likes of Arthas does not count because he wasn’t doing it in the name of the Alliance? Wouldn’t Garrosh not count since he was doing in the name of his True Horde, rather than the New Horde?

1 Like

For a company that willingly showed a video at their convention calling Alliance players homophobic slurs and telling them to kill themselves, Alliance bias claims are baffling. Horde gets a literal heavy metal band.

Also, Sylvanas isn’t sincerely doing anything in the name of the Horde.

4 Likes

Mechagnomes are clearly less popular the desert rats, but the other two are highly disingenuous.

LFD are the opposite of HMT.
Void Elves are the most popular allied race.

1 Like

There is no bias! Just a very bad story that doesn’t bring anything motivating or grandiose to the alliance, as devs don’t know and don’t want to do something like that for the alliance. They don’t even know what ally’s players are like. That’s why everything was so disheartening.

It was really significant for ally to attack these decadent trolls.
This city is irrelevant, since neither it was destroyed, nor was it part of the horde and only served to transform Jaina and Geblin into a pinata loot for the Horde. I don’t remember doing that to Sylvannas representing the Horde. Not even Garrosh says that he was practically only leader of the Korkrons.
Syl fled Lordaeron in his magic balloon and ally ran like cockroaches, after sacrificing an absurd number of troops to kill an idiotic troll who sold his soul to a scoundrel Loa.

In the end, it was all useless since Zandalar joined the horde.
Another empty alliance action in BfA. Should we celebrate for three days?

2 Likes

Horde gets unique story development though where with ally we are just generic good guys; gets boring after awhile.

Sincerely
someone who would love to be something else then just the good guys.

1 Like

Cool, but i was really meaning to say how terrible it is to naviage the city.

While Boralus is nice and compact with player focused services being together.

No it wasn’t.

It was, it will only motivate them to become spiteful to the Alliance.

And for the Alliance.

Was really hoping she would die.

She is asking for it.

I actually think there’s a chance alliance may have some evil tenancies soon. The void elves could “Crack” or get taken by the void probably or fall, and the night elves could give tyrande the push to be more aggressive and want revenge on the horde in some way even if anduin and the others don’t want it, while she gets help from greymane.

The horde have gotten development and interesting characters, while alliance have some plot armor ones but they often get stepped over and roll onto their back , flailing like soccer players and just losing quite often. I mean the night elves lost pretty much every foothold they had in kalimdor besides maybe hyjal but that’s just druid zone now. They at least got to attack dazar’alor but that was also just lucky timing with everything else going on so they could have the princess in power. The king had been a known character for awhile but they wanted to kill him off. Alliance have just been a stepping stone for the horde. At least that’s kinda how it looks to me. I never really felt they won with true might and got to enjoy the win, just so happened to win with a stroke of luck. Sure, under city happened, but then it didn’t get to feel like a win since it wasn’t reclaimed , just destroyed.

The Only alliance characters I like are Alleria and Jaina. I used to love malfurion but they’ve softened him and made him hide behind tyrande like a puppy. Tyrande was turned into crappy person who normally would’ve normally forgiven the nightborne but for some reason didn’t since they hid in a bubble. still her old people and her home and helped them reclaim it. No reason they should be at war. They made Maiev and Tyrande switch personalities since cata or so.