All TBC servers will progress to WOTLK

We’re not going to have the option to clone our characters and keep them in TBC - all servers will progress to WOTLK. There was an article on IGN about it - Patrick Dawson is the production director who confirmed it in the interview.

Since the start of classic, I always intended to ‘retire’ in WOTLK and live out the rest of my days PvPing, leveling alts, etc., even after the server is fully progressed. We need at least one or two TBC-era servers that people can choose to stay behind on. Can we get an answer by the devs on this. This is waaaaaay more important than all the other changes combined. If i cant stay in WOTLK, there’s no point for me to continue playing. I have zero interest in a SOM style server - I dont want to lose the progress I have made with my characters.

Thanks

47 Likes

There probably will be a work arround in the form of the experience eliminator for those who want to raid tbc content. I am willing to bet there will be a few forever 70 guilds and people running for glaives. I intend on keeping shaman at level 70 and making a level 70 twink dk prob on benediction.

Such guilds will probably be only on the megaservers though, just as planned.

2 Likes

Sucks that they won’t even merge them into one TBC server or make one TBC SoM. no need for 8 servers or whatever like vanilla SoM has.

A lot of people have near-zero interest in wotlk

20 Likes

They most definitely need to quickly clarify this position. Feels kindof bonkers to completely kill TBCc servers, and not offer an alternative for those who wish to stay in that Era. Even one server per region would be sufficient, but none?!

12 Likes

A lot as in a small percentage of TBC Classic players.

6 Likes

Exactly. I have no desire to stay in TBC myself, but I believe that option should be available.

11 Likes

Yea I’m sure it’s less than 5% lol but isn’t that enough to warrant one server? Aren’t there still like 25 vanilla realms including SoM

8 Likes

This is so stupid.

First the remove of LFD, thn talking about nerfing dual spec and now classic era server are no more, meaning that we will probably be forced to progress to CATA…

They are really trying to kill the hype for Wrath.

I am almost giving up and move to a private server like warmane, at least there you know that you can play what you like indefinitely.

7 Likes

Blizzard’s decisions are very divorced from reality. I really dont want to go back to private servers, but if I cant stay in WOTLK then I have no other choice.

14 Likes

There should be an option to turn xp off, it was in wrath as a feature for thinking when bgs started giving xp

2 Likes

They seem intent to screw crusade harder than they did classic. This is a very bad sign because those of us planning to end at wrath will now probably be forced into cataclysm, basically what they did the first time around. If they force my characters to cataclysm, I’ll be unsubbing that month. I don’t want to go to cataclysm, and no, simply staying at 70 in a level 80 world that changed everything is not a solution.

17 Likes

Exactly. Forget the seasonal server BS and just let us stay in whichever era we want.

19 Likes

Oh sure. I am surprised they didn’t decide to leave a couple of TBC servers up as the “TBC Museum”.

Oh well. I do feel bad for those that TBC is their favorite game, and the only version of WoW they want to play forever.

But Blizzard isn’t going to go out of their way to help those guys out.

1 Like

There is so much in TBC I haven’t done and haven’t had the chance to do even from the original one. There just isn’t enough time. If they do this, I may consider just not playing altogether. If they do this, Naxxramas from classic will be gone forever and I never had the chance to get corrupted Ashbringer. I hope they figure something out because I do not like this at all.

16 Likes

you can still do naxxramas in classic era, but yeah i agree there needs to be tbc era i am just now getting into tbc and am really enjoying it and want to continue progressing throgh sunwell

6 Likes

all you need is 25 people to raid in tbc also theres heroics and 10 mans theres plenty of content for 1 pvp and 1 pve realm for tbc era

3 Likes

Perhaps a solution to players wanting to have both TBC and Wrath servers would be to do something similar to Classic–>TBC. Pick which xpac you want each toon to go to, but NO cloning because while that was best intentions it was a hot mess. At the very least if we must progress, open fresh TBC servers and we can go again there; that’s how private servers do it. That would open the door to repeat the process if Cata comes, so those of us with no interest in Cata can live happily ever after in Northrend.

TBC is hugely popular and so many of us are nowhere near feeling done there. I also think a lot of folks are underestimating just how many players are looking forward to “retiring” to Wrath. I think that’s the most balanced version of the game between casual and hardcore players (not to be confused with one-life hardcore). Those of us who got to no-life TBC/Wrath the first time have jobs, families, responsibilities, and not remotely enough time to enjoy the game on this more accelerated schedule. We also are now the ones with lots of cash to let the sub roll on even if we don’t play that often. Perma-servers for those xpacs will go a long way to combatting private servers, too.

14 Likes

i dont mind the clone fee i think its the coolest micro transaction added to the game. but i agree with everything else

3 Likes

The reality is, Blizzard doesn’t make it’s decisions based off the opinions of the small minority of the player base that post here.

That’s not even comparable to the real thing, Wrath talents are insane compared to TBC

2 Likes