All 50 toon slots on the one server?

As a couple have people in-game mentioned, and on checking the latest Q&A, one of the things Blizz is looking at is allowing folks to compress their toon-list to a single realm if so desired (although they didn’t give a concrete date and/or affirmation to this, it was something they were ‘looking at’) and that just tickles my fancy something fierce.

To finally have all the toons I want on a single realm and not have to bounce around using cross-faction to bring them to bear in RP would be simply amazing, as well as no longer having to deal with trying to log into multiple popular realms with, at times, long queues just to be able to play.

What do you think? Should Blizzard focus some resources into allowing this to happen and letting us roll 50 characters, potentially all on the same server, or would you rather the time and effort be spent on some other technical issue the game has right now?

21 Likes

no don’t please the alt-itis bug already bit me i don’t need it to burrow into my skin

(but also i’d totally be down to clown with that)

4 Likes

I would support this.

I dunno what “resources” would be involved, I’ve seen private servers with this capability. It’s one of those things that exists because of Blizzard’s design philosophy, not the limitations of the technology. I never really understood why they limited character slots per server in the first place.

13 Likes

imagine

50 GNOMES
FAR MORE THAN ENOUGH TO KILL EVERYTHING THAT MOVES

14 Likes

all the gnomes link arms and swing each other like some giant horrible meatflail

6 Likes

I really hope this comes to fruition. I don’t know if I’d manage to use all 50 slots optimally but WrA is my home. Having bounced around for a bit a few years ago, I realised that there is nowhere else I’d rather be.

And, having already filled up the new slots they gave us… I need more room. Plus I’m too poor/cheap to do the multiple account workaround. :sweat:

7 Likes

If we gain the ability to make 50 characters on the same realm, I may or may not need to impose a sub-50 limit on myself to prevent an overwhelming character swamp.

But I would much rather have 50 slots right now than wait, with handfuls of new character ideas vying for priority, to get another two slots (never enough) that may or may not come out in about six weeks. I may get overwhelmed by 50 alts, but my happy number is definitely somewhere between that and what we have right now.

4 Likes

“How many more draenei do you need?” asked the ignorant developers.

“ALL OF THEM,” bellowed I, an intellectual.

17 Likes

See, with Allied Races, this makes sense. You don’t need to delete a toon to make room for a new race/class combination, so we’re either playing longer to unlock the heritage armors or we’re paying for a boost to get to cap.

Either way, Blizzard wins and we get something good out of it, so it’s all gravy.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the allied races and their new slots to level up specs for various classed I hadn’t played before. When the allied race system was launched I had every class at max; now I just need to do it times three. If this took this measure I would be able to, plus have at least one character of every race to get that sweet heritage armor.

Of course, all of this is only an issue because WrA is home. It just doesn’t feel right, investing the time to fully level a character on any other server.

4 Likes

5 accounts x 50 characers = 250 characters.

I’ll be able to DM to my heart’s content and not worry about NPCs growing personalities.

I also wouldn’t know what to do with myself.

3 Likes

I would definitely appreciate it if they did this, and I’m not too concerned about the amount of technical effort that would go into something relatively trivial like this 'cause… it kinda seems like the amount of effort wouldn’t be that great. They’re already adding slots as races come out so it isn’t as if this is some dark dank interconnected piece of code which could break things if changed.

Right now I have all my slots of WrA full and a few alts lingering on MG… I always feel sort of tepid about playing the MG characters because it doesn’t feel quite like home over there.

4 Likes

I mean, if it gives me an excuse to roll another 32 or so Blood Elf Paladins…

2 Likes

I would simultaneously use this, and abuse this.

50 toons on WRA? I’m down.

2 Likes

I’d totally use this. That’d be awesome.

2 Likes

Y’know, I’ve heard a lot of people bemoan the fact that the game’s QoL improvements have undercut its sense of community. I think this would be a step back in the other direction. Based on this thread alone, there are altaholics who would love to invest themselves completely in one server.

6 Likes

I would love to be able to have all of my favorite Alliance and Horde characters consolidated on Wyrmrest Accord(barring the few I have on a different server for old time’s sake). Right now I’m having to choose carefully how I spend my slots, and it’s a real pain having alts on other servers due to being cut off from the lion’s share of my resources(since most items aren’t BoA).

There’s quite a few technical issues that need to be solved, of course, so I doubt it’s anything we’ll see anytime soon. However, I think having more space available on rosters would do wonders for server communities, especially RP realms. Altoholics can keep everything on their favorite server without having to worry about being split off from friends and resources.

1 Like

I’m not a programmer, but is there? They increase our number of character slots per server all the time.

Of course, setting characters per realm to 50 and characters per account to 50 will probably make all Cata raids collapse into a singularity, but whatever.

1 Like

There’s a lot about the game’s core functions and interface that could stand an update or two. It has improved tremendously over the years but some things still reflect the design sensibilities of a decade and a half ago.

I meant there’s technical issues(such as sharding problems or bugs in new content) elsewhere in the game that they probably need to solve first before they worry about increasing the roster size. I worded my prior statement a bit poorly, so my apologies for the confusion.

That being said…I do remember all the old jokes about how adding more backpack slots would break the game…and all the bugs that cropped up when they did add more slots, heh heh. Whether or not the backpack slots caused those bugs I don’t know, but I suppose there’s something to it.

I’ve dabbled a bit in programming(never seriously pursued it since I really stink at coding), and things can most certainly go haywire for strange reasons. It’s impossible to say how easy it would be to write the code to enable more slots per server because only Blizzard knows what’s in the code and what needs to be done to implement the change, but it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s some weird problems they have to iron out first for things to run smoothly.

3 Likes