ALERT! Census data now useless!

With the latest patch Blizz has put out disabling scripts the /who function of the WowCensus mod is now disabled, meaning no new data can be generated on current server populations outside of blizzards internal systems that track such data. All Server population data is currently obsolete and should not be taken as fact. Take the free transfers at your own risk.

I’d personally like a blue post on why scripts were actually disabled in /who.

10 Likes

Blizzard is quickly getting on my nerves.

/who now barely works if it works at all. Looks like they don’t want any information about how successful classic is over retail to go public. SMH

They are trying to kill Classic it looks like.

31 Likes

Makes sense, the free character migrations are failing based on false data created by that addon.
Breaking it may help with server queues / dead servers.

17 Likes

Well see the immediate counter argument is why would they kill something that brings them money, and I bet $ someone is going to reply to you with that exact comment. But the truth is they have a HUGE vested interest in making sure Classic fails.

The reason why is investors are going to start asking questions when a franchise which they have considered “problematic” and “in decline” for over 6 years now since that infamous call is suddenly able to double or triple it’s subscriber base by bringing back the old game.

They’re going to suddenly realize the people that are supposed to be making them, they, the investors money, guys like Brack, have actually screwed them out of billions by changing the game so much.

When that happens, there will be VERY high profile jobs at Blizzard on the line without question. That’s how the business works. And before you try to say I don’t know anything about business because I’m not a businessman I will tell you my experience in business doesn’t matter.

It only takes logic for one to come to the conclusion that you want to get rid of the people who lost you billions of dollars.

20 Likes

It actually helped me decide to move, and I couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

Whoops, meant to post that ^ on my Classic char. Oh well.

Yeah, it’s like the CEO doesn’t want to get fired because it shows he has made terrible decisions with the game. =/

5 Likes

I would say it has caused more to not move than to move which makes the breaking it make more sense as they are trying to spread out the Classic population.

1 Like

They totes made classic a thing just so they could make it fail. DUHSSS

13 Likes

Census data was already useless. For what people wished it show, at least.

That data was never connected to reflect active populations. It was for unique characters and demographics of those characters.

6 Likes

If true, is walking a very fine line. I doubt shareholders would be pleased with the company sabotaging their own product to save face for themselves and their inferior game version.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure the suits at the highest echelons of Activision don’t even play games, let alone understand them. I doubt they will ask why x product is doing better than y product if both products produce reasonable profitability.

They will however ask why a new product that brought in massive amount of subscribers one quarter all of a sudden failed to continue to hold such subscriptions. When you work at a job, it is in your best interest to continue making money, not sabotage your boss’s bonus.

4 Likes

What it showed is unique characters scanned over an ineffective amount of time to represent co current users.

What people wanted it to show was wishful thinking. “It’s good enough for me”

3 Likes
2 Likes

Good. Surprised they allowed it anyhow since they stopped releasing numbers a while ago.

1 Like

/who had been broken as hell over the years, I am surprised it took Blizzard so long to finally put the nail in the coffin. It’s a real shame a game feature must suffer because Blizzard doesn’t want people knowing numbers, whatever they may be.

And this is in response to falling numbers, back in Wrath when they were (rightfully) proud of 12M, it was a non-issue. It can’t be a coincidence they changed it after numbers dropped.

7 Likes

How is it broken exactly?
How does it work differently now?

Care to explain?

3 Likes

And if the addon-gathered data is inaccurate, it’s not providing players with useful information and it actually may have harmed server/faction balance.

Even if the addon-gathered data is accurate, it still may have harmed server/faction balance.

2 Likes

It’s not a coincidence at all. The idea is if they release the numbers showing the game is declining the remaining playerbase will see the numbers and feel they’re on a dying enterprise and jump ship. By hiding the numbers they can prevent that, even if everyone knows the reality. It also prevents any potential new players from getting concrete evidence the game is dying, which would likely prevent many from trying it these days.

2 Likes

I would be happy if they just had a accurate way to show horde/alliance ratio for each server. I dont need to see the population count as the low/medium/high status is good enough for me.

3 Likes